Why we need more (good) female traders

Certainly, the definition of successful should include anyone who is consistently ‘profitable’ over a period of time (like a year or more for instance). It is super challenging to get over that hump in Forex, so in my mind - if you have, you are successful. As time goes on you work toward building those profits. I think this should apply to men or women equally, regardless of what trading style you use, etc.

Maybe part of the reason that we don’t ‘see’ more female traders is that they don’t use a feminine handle or reveal through their photo or words that they are female. I’ve done it before on other forums, because it’s just easier to contribute without being harrassed / bashed by the macho types. When I was still newer to Forex, I definitely didn’t need that on top of the usual challenges that newbs face.

But in general, I do think female traders are a rarity. Why? Maybe because they never heard of Forex (I hadn’t until a male I was online gaming with told me about it), and it may just be one of those fields that females seem to be less drawn to in general (like math, coding, some of the sciences, etc.) That’s a whole other discussion of - are they being steered away from those fields by instructors, advisors, family, etc., or are they just truly less interested in those subjects?

I can only speak for myself. Long before I found Forex, I was interested in the markets. I had no idea how they worked or how to get in to them, but I always thought that would be a bomb a** job. Fun, glamourous, exciting, opportunity for wealth - you know, the whole Wolf of Wall Street rags to riches story (minus the drugs and womanizing). When I found out that to get involved in Forex I needed no degree or special training, no certifications, that I could start with relatively little money, and that they even had demo accounts for practicing on - I never looked back. It matters little to me that few make it in this field, I love it, and even with modest levels of success - I will be achieving my dream of becoming a real trader. So, I guess to me that is success.

3 Likes

I thought this was an interesting read.

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/gender/BoysWillBeBoys.pdf

1 Like

Finance is a male-dominated profession, especially at the top. While women in the United States make up 55.4% of the total labor force in finance, they comprise only 16.6% of executive officers, 18% of board directors and 2.9% of CEOs, according to a December 2011 survey by Catalyst Research. As outsiders, women are alternately overlooked and heavily scrutinized when it comes to positions of power in finance. They are sometimes underestimated and held to a lower standard, while at other times they are expected to work harder to prove themselves against their male counterparts or even pitted against their female coworkers.

If you want to rise to the top as a woman in finance but you’re not sure how, seeking out a role model can help illuminate the path. Here are seven women who have achieved great success in this field by being willing to stand out, taking risks and refusing to accept “no” for an answer.

Geraldine Weiss, Investment Advisor
Geraldine Weiss was one of the first women to make a name for herself in finance and to prove that women could be successful investors. She learned about investing by reading books and listening to her parents’ conversations, and also studied business and finance in college.

No investment firm was interested in hiring her as more than a secretary, despite her studies. “It was a man’s world, and women need not apply,” she recalls.

In the face of rejection, she started her own investment newsletter in 1966, at the age of 40. A response to one of her newsletter advertisements read, “I can’t imagine myself ever taking investment advice from a woman. Unless you take your advice from a man.”

Wanting to avoid further gender discrimination, she decided to sign her newsletter “G. Weiss.” It wasn’t until the mid-1970s that she revealed her true identity after achieving a consistently successful track record.

Weiss’s value-based, dividend-oriented stock-picking strategy outperformed the strategies recommended by other newsletters and has achieved above-average returns even in poor markets. She published her newsletter, Investment Quality Trends, for 37 years until she retired in 2003. The newsletter still exists and still follows Weiss’s strategy.

Read more: 7 Outstanding Female Investors 7 Outstanding Female Investors
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

2 Likes

Linda Bradford Raschke, Professional Trader
Linda Raschke is president of two financial firms that bear her initials: LBRGroup, Inc., a commodity trading advisor, and LBR Asset Management, a commodity pool operator. She began trading professionally in the early 1980s and worked as a market maker for stock options. For six years, she worked at the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange and then the Philadelphia Stock Exchange before becoming a self-employed day trader. Raschke authored a book on high probability trading strategies and has been widely featured in the media. She has also lectured on trading for a number of prestigious organizations, including the Managed Futures Association and Bloomberg.

Read more: 7 Outstanding Female Investors 7 Outstanding Female Investors
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

2 Likes

Ps: I posted about Raschke on this thread at posts 392 and 403, if anyone is interested. I contacted her and she replied, amazingly!

2 Likes

Very interesting read…I have read either this paper before or something similar… There was a thread where someone had posted about similar stats but also including trading attitudes according to socio-economic factors (as well as gender).

1 Like

Open a real acoount and throw your money in - [Edit - This market is not one you can claim “descriniatiion” in we’ll be happy to see how you get on !]

:relaxed:

We need more (good) female traders, Why?

Whom is we?

We, “hedge funds” need more good traders

We, BabyPips need more good traders

We, Deutsche Bank need more good traders

We Claudius need more good traders

The Ever Not Kidding VIPER

2 Likes

I think it is probably not an issue here, meaning, for individuals trading from.home; however, it can be (and is) an issue for women or BME traders working in an office/group where they are not the majority gender/ethnicity etc.This is true in many fields, not only finance, sadly.

That,Viper, is an excellent question best left open for debate!

This old thread is worth reviving:

1 Like

That link does not exist any more, I don’t know whether they have been promised defamation writs or what ?

[Edit sp}

1 Like

Weird,.

Here is one that works:

“…Chow was accused of making inappropriate sexual comments to colleagues and Baker allegedly harassed a 26-year-old employee…”

Why are there no male teachers any more ? :neutral_face:

It is matter of fact that the Females have played quite a imminent role for motivating the male personality to do any thing, and thus if we will have good or ever better female traders, it will motivate our male traders to gain through a healthy competition.

A trader is a trader - what matters if it wears a frock or a jock strap ? - the markets is the survival ring ! :slight_smile:

Bangladesh female investors on the rise (not so for female traders):

http://m.theindependentbd.com/post/119797