Why we need more (good) female traders

That is clearly false - It’s the “Warmist zealots” who are incapable of offerring a mechanism or debate !

https://forums.babypips.com/t/climate-change-is-a-complete-hoax/30013

Come and tell us about it !

In her trade no tribunals, just a quick call to an agent - one person’s loss another’s gain I suppose.

Some of the tech firms are ahead of the curve, likely because their industry is relatively new.

Business is about profit. A company is exactly that - a company of people - a savvy business owner will look to maximize profit through that company of people, he will take no notice of gender, race, or any other physical aspect of his company, instead he will seek value, the higher the value the more he will remunerate.

I have found by experience that a shift happens, people know they are valued, they change from being a staff member to being a member of the company, as such they not only seek to give value but also to maximize company profits.

Again in my own experience I have found that old habits are often bad habits - habits that impair profit potential - it’s generally not a fear of change, more a lack of awareness.

Thinking of examples - High Street retail in the UK is suffering right now, this from the Independent 6 hours ago is the latest in a long list:
DIY chain said 1,500 jobs will go as it attempts to cut costs following years of declining sales and profits

Then I look at Aldi - Supermarket of the Year Award winner 2017, their site headlines:

The Focus of our Company is our People.:

They go on to say that with a workforce of 30k and plans for a further 35k within 2 years and add “it’s fair to say that people are our biggest and most brilliant asset.”

@peterma thank you for a balanced, well written point of view.

I think that the profit focus is a pendulum: a small business starts with low profit and a lot of time is given to clients, often unpaid, to try building a network and experience: as the business grows, less time is spent on people and more on thinking how to maximise/grow profits. When a crisis strikes and the business loses money, a lot more time is spent again on trying to woo people back to the business… The mid-point balance is ideal, but hardest to maintain, that is being profitable and also keeping true to the personal touch of a smaller business.

As a self-employed person I know how much interpersonal work I put in to keep customers and how even when profits run low you have to prioritise customers, not money, which seems counterintuitive but I find it cannot be stressed enough. Again, our personal experiences shape our beliefs about the world, so my attitude to business is very much based on my own experience.

1 Like

The forex market is free of discrimination against religion, sexual orientation, caste, creed and nationality. You can openly trade with any kind of currency pair. If you are not successful in forex, then please don’t question the integrity of the market place. I hope that you understand😊

You forget that the market is made of institutions and that institutions are made of people… And people form groups according to shared identity and a ‘right fit’.

This can be a strength but also a weakness.

1 Like

Looking forward to this!

2 Likes

Really, traders should be concentrating on trading than trying to figure the gender of the market.

1 Like

That is one point of view; another one would be that anyone can be focused on their career / trading/ anything and choose to also engage with other issues that they feel are important to them.

A doctor who engages with political activism is not medically less able because they have a passion for something outside their work, for example; so it can be said for any professional who has a strong interest outside their work. There is more to life than work , work, work .

So, given that we can give our full attention to our profession but still want to engage with other issues outside work, is it so hard to imagine someone trading profitably and yet also having an interest in gender issues?

I think the two are fully compatible.

3 Likes

Hi all,

A long time ago, while in my tenure at FXStreet, we covered a topic about women in forex before and after.

Find the link: Women in Forex – 5 years later – About FXStreet

It’s definitely worth a read.

1 Like

Thanks Ivan,

I remember looking at that a while back and posting this on my thread three years ago:

Cheers
Good work

1 Like

Hello all,

I juat wanted to say that female trader @CoinLady has a thread running about her trading progress
here, which you may like to read:

Trading Progress

She is using the 3-Ducks system.

Happy Trading!

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning me @PipMeHappy but I feel like I’m not worth mentioning yet and might disappoint anyone who visits my thread haha. I’m just starting to demo trade, taking baby steps and baby pips. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You are welcome, @CoinLady!

1 Like

I can’t believe this is still running.

I am a male private retail trader. I’ve never worked in the finance industry. So far as I can see, there are no barriers to the entry of females into private retail trading. I guess the reason why more don’t do it is because they don’t want to. Fair enough, that’s their choice, whether I think its right or wrong.

One reason I would have hated working in the finance industry because it seems to me like its an elitist club full of the sort of “superior” people who would stab their own grandmother in the back for 50 quid. Or rather con some hard up retired Mum and Dad into buying something worthless they don’t need for 500.

So why would more women in the City or on Wall Street be a Good Thing? Sure, they personally might get a fat salary and a nice bonus, but I can only imagine the industry would recruit the same sort of scum as it does now, just of a different gender.

1 Like

Nah, Tom, times have changed.

Just had the pleasure of a grandchild looking for his granddad whilst his daughter is telling her ma why the industry sucks and needs to change.

2 Likes

@lillyw91

Also wanted to give a shout out to everyone to welcome this new trader, Lilly, on her thread:

3 Likes

Tommor,

you raise an important point: that aiming to work for the CIty or The Street is not the be all and end all of one’s ambitions

or a mark of equality between the sexes.

I have taken the thread to many places but I wanted to say that the main aims were to:

1. gather and share all the information that I found on clear cases of sex discrimination and sexist attitudes in finance;

2. gather and share all the information that I found on successful/professional women in finance (traders or otherwise);

3. promote female forum members on Babypips and encourage their contributions.

I think that issue no. 1 gets some people very exercised but I cannot help that: the reality of some attitudes toward

women in the industry has been amply documented on this thread and elsewhere. I cannot change that, but raising

awareness and talking about it is the least that I can do. Why? Because I care.

1 Like

@PipMeHappy Thanks so much for the mention! I love this thread btw xx

2 Likes

@lillyw91

You are welcome.

If you want to contribute anything to it, that would be great!