World Cup Russia thread w/ poll

Okay folks, WC is around the corner. Let me hear it.

• Who’s your top 4 and who’s your winner?

• Dark horse to get out of group stage or make it farther than expected?

• Surprise exit or underperformer?

So my last four are Brazil, Spain, Germany and Argentina.

I think France v Spain is a toss up, but experience brings Spain through. Argentina and Portugal battle it out, but Messi takes a win over Ronaldo.

Both Brazil and Germany win close games. Germany 2-1 in the final.

Poland beats Belgium makes it the quarters but falls short.

Okay, now you!

TWO MORE DAYS!

2 Likes

Argentina always unpredictable and they always bring surprise even though they are not stronger as like Brazil, but they can do anything. I am waiting for their surprise, hope they will make sure better something

2 Likes

First of all nice thread :wink:

Here are my thoughts:

Semi-Finalists: Brazil, Argentina, France and Belgium
Winner: Brazil
Surprises: Germany and Spain not reaching Semi Final; Portugal not reaching Quarterfinal

1 Like

Thanks!

Looks like Spain just fired their head coach after it was announced he was hired to take over Real Madrid. That HAS to affect the team.

Edge to France now against Spain. Belgium v Poland, if it happens, will be an excellent match.

I had a dream that predicted three of the semi-finalists, which are: Argentina, Portugal and Serbia.
But I am most desiring for Germany to win it the second conservative time.
I am in Russia right now but I will not be in the stadiums to watch.

Are you Serbian, perhaps :slight_smile: There is some good experience on that squad.

That’s a shame. At least you may be able to witness the energy and spectacle of it all.

1 Like

No, I am not Serbian

Wow you are there and going to watch a game live! I envy you a bit :frowning:
In this regard look at what real fans do to watch their team live on the World Cup: Terms of Service Violation
“Argentines are so crazy about soccer that a lender is betting they’ll pay 50 percent interest to finance their trips to the World Cup in Russia this month.” – now that is a passion and love!
Enjoy the opening today!

Poll - Who will win the World Cup Russia 2018?

• Brazil
  • France
  • Germany
  • Spain
  • Other

0 voters

Russia did well :smiley: 5-0

1 Like

Scoring machine! Great way to get the competition started!

But some goods games tomorrow. Spain v Portugal will be the one to watch! And of course seeing Salah on the international stage. Very interested to see how his team plays.

IMO this will be the only joy that the Russian team will bring to their fans. Maybe they will beat Egypt eventually and qualify for the next stage where Portugal or Spain will knock them out. I also don’t believe that it is really a coincidence that the host of the World Cup is playing in the opening game in the lowest ranked team on the competition (after Russia itself :smiley:). After all Putin is watching so you cannot put Russia in a group where they will get max 1 point :smiley:

Me too, I suspect the draw for this group might have been rigged.

RONALDO! You have to be a fan of him with a performance like that!

I tend to root for Brazil most of the time. Let’s see how they’ll do.

Well that didn’t go as expected for a couple of teams. Germany, Brazil and Argentina trending down, Spain and Portugal sideways, England and Belgium trending up.

It’s backwards week at the World Cup!

Best goal so far?

1. Coutinho bending magic
  2. Kolarov free kick
  3. Dries Mertens volley

I’ll go with Dries.

1 Like

The world cup has started in Russia and it was a disappointing start for the Germany, Argentina, and Brazil. Iran marked their first win and Russia started with a convincing win. More fun in surely ahead as far as I think. Best of luck Germany!

I would go for Coutinho’s :wink:
Let’s see if Argentina are about to fail tonight against Croatia. They cannot afford losing more points. I will again refer to the Bloomberg article about the World Cup loans:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-06/who-will-pay-50-on-a-loan-to-watch-messi-play-argentines-will

Well, Argentina is to the next round. Hopefully the Argentines are staying a bit longer to watch the next game, against France I think!

And plenty of goals now to add to the list of worthy to be called the best. And since I’m biased, I’ll just throw out the Toni Kroos goal. I almost passed out!

Argentina still need a lot of work, they are not the full force they are supposed to be, with lack of team cohesion and teamwork. There’s some sloppiness.
So far my premonition stays on track.