xXTrizzleXx's Journal [AMENDED]

[B]@ TimberWolfMk2[/B]

To ensure we’re both thinking of the same things, I’ve decided to post up a chart, to show what I mean by Point P1 and Point P2, where the Bollinger Bands are penetrated after the retrace action of a Bollinger Band sausage or bubble. I take these to be valid entry points, and if stopped out once, try to re-enter once more, provided that the Price Action allows me to do so near my original entry point.

Hope this helps!

[B]@ ken doubleU[/B]

Yes, with the price of tuition nowadays, I can’t afford to be slacking off and wasting my parents’ money! :stuck_out_tongue: Switching to the higher time frames will require larger stops, and this will be accounted for my a change in position size to ensure that the risk taken per trade remains at 2%. Fortunately, it will be possible with my account size! Thanks for your encouragement, and good luck in your trading as well!

[B]@ IronHeart,[/B]

Indeed - it does force one to be honest, and forces you to rationalize why you took a trade, especially when others ask why. :slight_smile: Thanks for the encouragement, and I hope that maybe one day, I will be able to see your progress in your very own journal. :slight_smile:

Happy pipping to all!

So Week 1 ends on a favorable note, with a [B]net gain of 2.6%[/B]. I have also experienced [B]“entry-opportunity paralysis”,[/B] which has resulted in me having to switch over to the 12 Hour Time Frame, which I believe will be more suited to my psyche. [B]Tymen,[/B] has presented a nifty exit-method, which is similar to mine in many respects, but takes advantage of the Parabolic SAR to effect beautiful exits. I believe I will be implementing it as my exit strategy. :slight_smile:

Happy pipping to all!

I have actually been keeping a journal too - on MeetPips.

But it’s private :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m considering this idea of yours to post it on BabyPips though - it might be worthwhile!

Please do!! :slight_smile:

Not only do others learn from your posting of a journal, but you learn yourself too.

At least 2 of the [B]Honorary FX Members[/B] that I know became those members by posting a journal. :slight_smile:

Ah I see what you mean now Trizzle, I did not take into account the previous BB walk/bubble on the left of the chart while looking for point P. My initial understanding based on the diagrams was that point P was the area on the chart where the PA meets the narrowed bollinger bands after going through a bubble/sausage pattern. I take it that point P is only reached IF the PA hits the opp BB across from where it was walking before, regardless of the shape of the BB at that point in time. Thanks for clearing that up!

And I must say, with more people inspired to post their trading journals on Babypips, I’m seriously considering taking that step too. :slight_smile:

A net gain like that each month and you’ll be set;) You don’t need a very high % return to earn a good living trading Forex, good job on your first week!

[B]@ TimberWolfMk2[/B]

If you do make the decision to keep a public journal, I would love to see your progress with the passage of time. Alternatively, if you do not want to constantly feel the pressure of the public eye, you can opt to open a private journal using MeetPips, as [B]IronHeart[/B] as done. I am also glad that we got that [B]Point P[/B] issue clarified! :slight_smile:

[B]@ hellogoodbye4201[/B]

I agree - I only hope that I can keep up such pleasing results! As you have stated, a little can go a long way! :slight_smile: Thanks for the encouragement, and good trading to you!

Happy pipping to all!

[B]Below is just a post I made which I thought I would place here for safe-keeping, regarding a possible explanation for “stop-hunting”.[/B]

From what I have been reading or trying to understand, the movement of Price, is determined by Order Flow. Imagine a large portion of retail traders all setting their stops just behind a particular support level. If a bank is looking for a great entry point in a downtrend, they can wait for a pull-back and then place orders to get Price to move up to the support level, until it reaches just above the Support Level, where they have Limit Orders waiting to be liquidated by your Stop Orders. Price then resumes its downtrend move, giving the banks a great entry opportunity.

Alternatively, there are various other reasons for stops being “gunned”, or “appearing to be gunned”. This can be observed if for instance, a financial institution has invested in an Options contract, which usually tends to be located at the -00 levels. It has to do with something along the lines of defending Price Action from rising above the Option’s -00 Price Level. If it does, then the Option is defaulted. The issuers of the option can thus save themselves money if they place sufficient orders to move Price just above the -00 level of the Option, rendering it defaulted. To assist them to that effect, “options rumors are issued” and Price is manipulated to form common technical patterns to entice retail traders to help with the move.

In short, there are many reasons for stops “appearing to be gunned”. It is not necessarily the handiwork of a broker, (although it sometimes can be), but it is usually due to the intervention of large institutions and other “big players” to increase their bottom line. They need lots of liquidity to place their orders, which amount to millions of dollars, in a quick, timely, and non-interfering way. When you have a heap of stops clustered at a point, it represents sitting liquidity, which they use to execute their orders. As the stops are liquidated by the Limit Orders of these institutions, what is termed a “Stop-Loss Cascade” occurs, where Price would move upwards trying to discover new liquidity, until the majority of Stops are taken out. Retail traders do not have this problem, since our liquidity is handled by our broker/market maker. [B]This is part of the reason why I do not set my Stop-Loss at the high/low of my extreme CBL candle, as to me, it is a rather obvious place, and thus I have opted to place it a wee bit further out, in hopes that the frequency of my trades being taken out by this practice are reduced. :)[/B]

[B]I am not particularly well-versed in this area, I have only touched the surface of what is a very deep topic in Forex. However, I hope to be enlightened in this area further, as I am quite interested in it. If anybody has any tidbits they wish to add, then feel free to drop me a line. :)[/B]

Hi Trizzle,

Good to see you had a sucessful week. :smiley: I must admit I’m a bit like PerchTird & TimberWolfMk2 - I just can’t ‘see’ the trades easily yet. Sometimes I get up the next day & have another look and think ‘how could I have missed that???’ :confused: :frowning:

I am going to re-read Tymen’s info again (for about the fifth time) & make some more notes. I think one of my biggest issues is trying to jump into a trade too early or after it has started. And I am looking at other systems as well. I think I have managed to confuse myself quite well!! :mad:

I will definitely be a follower of this thread as I know I will learn from it. And I am very interested to see how many trades you can find on 12 hour charts. I hope the 12 hour charts are kind to you.

Cheers.

I know exactly how you feel…

Best Regards,
Matt Jones

[B]@ madpipa and MattJones[/B]

I know exactly how you feel, and as best as I can remember, the only real issue is identifying where Point P is, and ensuring you do not enter [B]in the middle[/B] of a Bollinger Band Walk/Sausage. A week of going through charts and just objectively identifying Point P’s should go a long way to helping you solve this dilemma. :slight_smile:

Happy pipping!

For the past few days, I have taken a short refresher-break. It is Carnival season here in my island, and I have taken the time to enjoy the [B]soca music[/B] and have some great fun with [B]family and friends.[/B] I feel renewed, and ready to take on the markets, and I eagerly anticipate what the 12 Hour Time-Frame has in store for me. :slight_smile:

Happy pipping!

Thanks for the encouragement and good advice Trizzle. I have been looking at charts by feeding one candle at a time & checking to see if Tymen’s criteria are met. I am getting better; it’s just taking time. But as I was told a long time ago - Nothing that’s good is easy to learn (or do).

Looking forward to see you profiting from the 12 hours!!

Cheers.

I feel very silly right about now! :o For the past week, I have been thinking that the 12 Hour Time Frame would be a great exercise in patience, and that when the set-ups come to me, the anticipation would ensure that I would be all over them! However, it has only just dawned upon me that [B]my 12 hour MT4 charts have stopped since the 21st! :confused:[/B] I just wanted to let all MT4 users out there, who use the PeriodConverter script to make custom time frames for their charts, [B]to ensure that the values in the Market Watch, are in sync with those on your charts![/B] My only consolation is better to have happened now, than later on!

Happy pipping!

Oh dear!

Something has just dawned on me too…

Turns out…I need to be awake more than 24 hours a day to fully utilise my trading system! :eek:

All jokes aside, I used to use the PeriodConverter too…but it was an indicator - not a script. I think the script did have that problem where it would just…stop working…

hey, congratulations Trizzle

very inspiring to see traders with similar experience doing well. Some people never get a positive week, it takes lots of hard work and a keenness to always try and improve.

anyway all the best i look forward to following this thread.

LOL, never trade sleepy, tired, sick or upset over anything. I have that in my trading plan for good reason. I’ve probably done it 100 times and lost 90 of those trades.

Great to see you taking this seriously though. Your organization skills will pay off!

That is certainly a problem with MT4. The period converter scripts (there are many versions of them) have one thing in common - they all stop working when you close and reopen MT4. Imho this makes them completely useless.

As far as I can remember, GFT Dealbook has more TFs although I’m not sure about the 12H. Getting a non-expiring demo is the problem here…

Might be worth also to check out Metatrader 5 which is being released and probably some brokers will soon offer the platform. MT5 has more TF than MT4 does. Can be found here: MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform

[B]@ IronHeart,[/B]

Trust me I know what you mean about wanting to capitalize on all your system’s entry signals! :slight_smile: Hopefully we will find some mystical way to do this - it will be the [B]real[/B] Holy Grail of trading! :smiley:

[B]@ n0mad,[/B]

Thanks for following along, and for the encouragement as well! Encouragement from other traders plays a big part in helping us to succeed and remain motivated!

[B]@ Graviton,[/B]

Your advice has been duly noted, and I will be making a concerted effort to trade only when in a sound state of mind.

[B]@ o990l6mh,[/B]

Thanks for the heads-up! It looks like unfortunately, I will have to reload the [B]Period Converter[/B] each time I restart MT4. I am looking forward to the release of MT5 though, perhaps it will be resolved in that version.

Week 2 was a week of no activity for three main reasons. I took some time off to enjoy the island-wide, festive mood of carnival; had loads of family down to spend some quality time; and I discovered that my Period Converter Indicator has decided to conveniently stop functioning.

As a result, I am no longer able to trade the 12 Hour Time frame, as I would have liked to. :frowning: Thus it seems that the only solution now will be to move up to the Daily Time frame, as that is the best that MT4 can offer me. Looking back I have really come a long way, from a [B]15 minute trader to a Daily one?[/B] Never would I have imagined my trading progress along these lines! :smiley: In order to increase trade frequency on the Daily time frame however, I may have to increase the number of pairs I trade, perhaps adding some NZD into the mix.

I have also decided to [B]ditch Windows Vista,[/B] in favor of a distribution of Linux, called [B]Kubuntu.[/B] I was previously an avid Linux User, but for some reason or the other (I believe it was school-related), I had to revert back to Windows. However, with recent developments in a program called WINE, I am now able to run many Windows-Applications, such as MT4 and my Poker Client in Linux, practically hassle-free! My internal wireless card which Windows diagnosed as broken, now works flawlessly in Linux, allowing me to trade in the cool environment of my bedroom, as opposed to the hot, mosquito-plagued work-desk in the living room.

Happy pipping to all!