My Trading Log

Ok, one more.

Once the trade gets into say 40-50 pips profit I’ll simply start switching up to higher time frames and track it for as long as it seems to want to run, basically switching to normal S/R, trendlines, etc. And gut feeling too of course - willingly or not…

Gotcha… Now go to bed. :slight_smile:

At what point would you put the trade to break even? There are going to be times where the trade moves many pips in your direction but still comes back to hit the SL.
Also, at what point would you call it quits? Presumably, if each entry is 0.3%, you still want to run a total risk of 2% so you have 6-7 strikes?

If no-one else is a programmer, I can have a look at this for you…

When did you first get into Fx?

I’m a really bad programmer, but I’m giving it a shot right now. I’ll let you know if I get stuck. :slight_smile:

Ok, here is my trading plan for testing out this system. Let me know if your backtesting has already shown that anything I’m considering will not work. No need to reinvent the wheel… :slight_smile:

For the entry points I’m going to use the same criteria that I’d use to place NickB scalp lines, but I’m only going to pick the strongest lines. I know that might be a meaningless description to a lot of people reading this, but to MacGyver, Matt, SanMiguel and a lot of others that sums up about a page of rules in one sentence. :slight_smile:

I’m only going to take counter daily trend trades if it’s a really, [I]really [/I]good setup with a good potential for profit. I’m also going to give every trade a 5 pip buffer to help avoid fakeouts.

Because I’m trying to use an EA to help with the entries I’m going to be using IBFX, which has slightly higher spreads than Oanda. Since that’s the case I can’t do a 2-3 pip SL, so I’m going for 5 pips as my stoploss. I’m going to risk .25% per trade, with a max total of 8 trades per setup, making a total risk of 2% per setup.

I’m actually going to be testing this on my live account so I don’t have to switch back and forth between live and demo. That being said I’m going to ignore my MM rules and enter each trade with .01 mini lots (since it’s real money). I’ll limit my trades to 8 per setup and record which trade, if any, went into profit so I can figure up what my profit would have been had I been using the real MM rules.

As for breakevens and takeprofits, I’m going to use good ol’ fashioned chart analysis (S+R lines, trendlines, candlesticks, etc), just like I would on a conventional trade.

So that’s my plan… Is there anything I’m missing, or anything I misunderstood about “Project MacGyver?”

Right now the only setup on EUR/USD is a long trade at 1.4844. There is a short line at 1.4650, but I’m throwing it out because it’s counter-trend and has a minor S+R area and a major trendline blocking any good profit potential.

What’s going on? What infraction?..

OMG! Phil838!! so this is where you have been spamming now!! no wonder Sunday Breakout thread is so quiet nowadays!!

Please come back and spam the Sunday Breakout thread and the “My basic chart analysis”! :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re a little behind. It’s all been cleared up now. :slight_smile:

But if you really want to know… He cussed at a spammer. :slight_smile:

Sunday Breakout is quiet because, with your help, we’ve pretty much got it down to a science. Not much left to say, except on Sundays… :slight_smile:

“My basic chart analysis” died out… I guess it just wasn’t basic enough for most people. Plus the major trends that brought in the big money haven’t been around for a while. People tend to lose interest when the returns are “only” in the single digit range per month.

just finished reading, but I couldn’t see any system being posted here to write the EA for?

Post 409 is MacGyver’s orginal description of it, and post 425 has my trading plan for the forward testing I’m starting.

Sure, no problem.
Obviously there are a few ways of doing it but one option could be to use a script to start the trade, which gives it a magic order number and then the EA can recognise which trades to work with. The EA will need to have a cut off point for when to stop creating new orders, any move to break even points, etc. …oh…also needs to be able to calculate risk according to account balance.

I have re-read it, but didn’t really understand what’s going on…hmmmmm,

didn’t understand this part…

wait a min!! breaking them down into steps…

1. identify a OSP_Buy, example, 1.50, SL = 1.50 - 3 pips
  2. place order, OSP_Buy with a stop loss of 3 pips
  3. check if order hit by stop loss
  4. if order hit by stop loss, repeat step 2 until 10 tries is used up?

Phil838, if what I interpreted is corrected, I could extend the functionalities of Position Sizer EA.zip here to do it?

http://forums.babypips.com/133505-post986.html

[ Setup ]

• user to set “number of times to try”, “% to risk”, “buffer”, “SL in pips” in EA
  • when EA is launched, there is a line for the user to move to his ideal pending buy/sell
  • user re-positions the line, and activiate the EA (by deleting the label?)
  • label changed to “EA Activated”

a) if current price is less than price of the line, Buy trigger, else Sell trigger
b) trigger price + buffer + spread (do we need to include spread for sell?)
c) check if the closing price of the previous 30 mins bar is more than the buy trigger price. If yes, do step e.
d) Check if the user wants want us to stop, if no, do step C
e) so closing price of 30 mins is more than our trigger + buffer + spread
f) send in order to buy at market with stop loss as specified
g) number of tries + 1
h) check if the order has been hit by stop loss, if it’s hit by stop loss and number of tries did not exceed user specify, do step C
i) change label to “EA deactivated”

http://forums.babypips.com/140108-post409.html
http://forums.babypips.com/140206-post425.html

I see there are many posts, I’ll answer them tonight when I get home after work and gym.

I’m one step ahead of you. I’ve already modifed that exact EA into what I need. :slight_smile:

I didn’t put too much work into it yet (everything is hard coded and the coding is sloppy), and I suggest you don’t either. We need to figure out what’s best rule-wise for this system, then work on a proper EA.

My crappy one will work for my testing purposes. :slight_smile: