James16 pin bar analysis

I just tested it on another area to see how it works where the market is a bit sideways on the same pair, GBP\JPY. You can See that I was stopped out one time where I got a false long signal. But it was a very small pin bar so I am not sure if I need at all to treat it as a pin bar. In addition, because the pin bar was small, it was a lose of 38 pips only. It works well here as well.

[B]Pic:[/B]

Ben

1/
I posted another thread a while ago talking about spreading entries similar to the way some traders spread their exits, ie taking half off.
Would you think we could do something similar with this? The entry point being the most risky point so perhaps something like

• enter 1/4 position above the LWP
  • enter 1/4 position 25 pips above that
  • enter 1/2 position 25 pips above that

Does 25 pips sound reasonable? I know we’ll be missing out on some profit at the beginning but it reduces risk on some of these trades especially where the risk is about 100pips or more. Once price looks like it’s definitely moving your way, you add to your position you can either scale out the profits or just close everything at your next target point.

2/
If the LWC closes but subsequent candles form a new LWC or an IB closer to the S&R or trendline, will you adjust the order to enter off that new candle or still use the 1st LWC?

This thread will be the continuing thread of the james16 pin bar analysis conversation which started on Phil’s thread, in respect to Phil and his own method :slight_smile:

If any moderator sees this post, please move posts number 278-284 from this thread: 301 Moved Permanently
to this new thread.

Ben

In respect to Phil and his method, I have opened a separated thread about the J16 PB analysis to keep this thread focused only on Phil’s method only :slight_smile:

I did not find any moderator, so if there is one which is viewing this thread, please move posts number 278-284 to this thread: 301 Moved Permanently

Ben

Hey, congratulations, you got your own thread

James16 is a great guy, he has a large thread on another forum in case you don’t know. It’s huge but worth the read.

You asked a question on the other thread about pivot points. PPZ and pivot points are slightly different. As the other guy explained a PPZ is a s/r area that is drawn on the chart because it’s an area that acted as previous s/r.

Pivot points are calculated on a daily, weekly or monthly basis by taking the open, high, low and close of the previous candle/bar and calculated using a formula (there are a number of different formulas to confuse things) and then drawn on the chart. As these lines are price forecasts for the future they may or may not represent future s/r lines. A lot of traders do watch these lines and so that is why they work as s/r sometimes. If there is a strong trend up or down they will often be ignored.

You need to remember that every time a new candle opens the old pivot points become useless and you need to draw the new updated ones. Think of them as the possible high or low points for the trading session you’re in, they won’t always work but often do.

You can get indicators for mt4 and maybe some other platforms that will automatically draw them on your chart and automatically update them using one of the most popular formulas.

I only use the monthly pivot points as I only trade daily candles so the daily means nothing and the weekly is only valid for 5 days. It’s up to you if you use them or not but I find they often add a layer of information that comes in handy.

RD

Hi RD.
I have already scanned trough the guest area on the J16 group site, and all the likes in the first post of Jim’s thread in FF as well. It is really good stuff there, and experienced traders post there as well. But it’s a bit too long. I will need to take it step by step. Currently my target is summarizing all the valuable info and tools John gave me on Phil’s thread and come up with a simple trading plan with guidelines\rules based on that info.

I appreciate your explanation about PPZ and Pivot points. Thanks.
I have several indicators of Pivot points for MT4 which I have found on the internet. But here is my question…If I trade the daily chart, what kind of pivot point time frame will be the best? The monthly, weekly or daily? And Lets say I take the monthly, so I still need to update it every day, or every month?
Quite dumb questions, but I will appreciate an answer :slight_smile:

Ben

That was in my answer :wink: . On a daily chart just use the monthly as the daily won’t tell you anything and the weekly will change every five days and is of limited use.

The monthly pivot points are only updated once a month from the newly closed candle. These pivot points are good for the whole month.

With the j16 thing I would suggest you just follow phils method. He knows what he is talking about on the 4H charts and his method is very similar to j16. These days all of the best info is in the j16 paysite which may or may not be worth the money depending on your view.

As has been posted, price action at significant support and resistance levels is the basis of most successful traders methods. Any other bits around it are just one interpretation of the same thing.

Ohh sorry for missing it in the first place, thanks for repeating yorself.

For J16, in the meantime I do not need the paid forum…I will see maybe in the future.
I also think you are right about Phil’s method. All the good methods I have noticed are a combination of Price action, S+R areas (trend lines, FIB level, scalp lines, S+R lines, PPZ etc…) and candlestick\bar patterns. The real difference is in the trading style…TF, focusing on specific tolls etc.

Ben

I feel it is harsh to say that all the best stuffs are on the private forum. you dun need the private forum to learn James16 stuffs. All the info are also covered on the free forum. If we really take the time to study the free forum, you really dun need the paid forum. By the way I feel this is also a place for us to post james16 price actions setups and discuss how to trade them and see how we apply trade them. :slight_smile:

Err…where is the “james16 pin bar analysis” or could you cover it briefly in detail?
I assume it’s something to do with finding pin bars at S&R or trendline points and using them to trade from.

Hi SanMiguel,

Sorry for opening it like that. You can look into the post in the thread I have linked in the main post - John had explained the guidelines of the method in there. Google “james16 group” to fund their site and also check their thread in the FF forum.

@ Ray_1…I guess you know better from me where is the valuable material is based. But where do you start when you have a 2.5K pages to read? I have gone through all the links in the main post there.

Ohh well…I guess I will start from the beginning and try to spot the most valuable posts.

Ben

Hi SanMiguel,

Sorry for opening it like that. You can look into the post in the thread I have linked in the main post - John had explained the guidelines of the method in there. Google “james16 group” to fund their site and also check their thread in the FF forum.

@ Ray_1…I guess you know better from me where is the valuable material is based. But where do you start when you have a 2.5K pages to read? I have gone through all the links in the main post there.

Ohh well…I guess I will start from the beginning and try to spot the most valuable posts.

One of the purposes of this thread is to try and summarize that huge thread and do our analysis together so we can learn from each other.

Ben

Yes it’s all in there somewhere! I’ve heard that the private forum is a slimmed down version of the public thread with all the best information. Also there are more videos and stuff too? You can learn the system from the public forum though.

These days all of the best info is in the j16 paysite which may or may not be worth the money depending on your view.

this remark is completly false and i dont appreciate it!! If you have not been in the private forum than how do you know to make sucha remark. The fact is maybe I wasted my money with the pf coz everything is right there in the public forum. if you look on ff threads they have a paperclip which is a list of all the relevant attachments including pdfs describing the price action setups and all the seniors in the public forum are fantastic about sharing everything they do. so please don’t say such unfair things. the reality is Jim does it coz he cares not for the money. he is one of those rare “gurus” who accually make his money trading.

here is the “meat and potatoes” of this method and it didn’t cost a penny :smiley:

btw ben great idea starting this thread. and check out the poster pdf it is great for reference.

also for those who are not familair james16 likes to use bar charts. I personally prefer candles myself and it won’t take you long to train your eyes to read the bars like candles and you can still use your candles if that is your preferred charting.

talk to you guys later, john

Pin bars-introduction.pdf (175 KB)

Pin bars-advanced.pdf (113 KB)

Poster.pdf (1.32 MB)

It’s amazing what people will fall for and believe.

Hi John, today I have continued my tour in the J16 guest area. Till now I had finished going through all the posts and videos there accept of a few of Jim’s.
I must say I really like Mike’s videos. There are very clear and helpful. Sounds like a great guy!
But I must point something I found. If you look at Mike’s videos, you can notice that he always looks for large pin bars after SPACE. If there is no space, there is no trade for him. I did not see him trading a sideways market.
On the other hand, There is one video of Jim where he stresses a very clear statement, that the thing which separates the 95% failure from the 5% success is the ability of trading in a sideways market. He never waits for space. I have seen a couple of trades he said he would took on the weekly chart which I would never even think about. It’s like he knows every single pip move of the next bar. I like his statement - “I WANT TO CONTROL THE MARKET INSTEAD OF STAYING IN A POSITION AND HOPE”. I guess that is the key of success in this business.

But there are two weird things here…

1. Mike and Jim do not agree with each other? On one hand Jim states that “there is ZERO chance to succeed in this business if you can’t trade in a sideways market”, and on the other hand Mike always seeks for space in his trades?
  2. Jim said he is very picky cause he trades with a large account, and a few pips a month cover him. On the other hand I can see him predicting every move of the market like he draws it…that means making a good trade from most situations. I will say that Mike looks a bit more picker from Jim.

By the way, after all these videos today, there was a point in one of Jim’s videos that I was telling my self in my head what he is going to tell next about the move of the market, and I was right. I guess I am starting to “get it” :). In addition, now I can say I completely understand and it is easier for me identifying PPZ on charts. Jim practiced it so much on his videos I think I will see PPZ in my dreams at night lol.

John, Thanks a lot for the “poster” new PDF. I still didn’t open it. It is now time for me to catch a nap. Hopefully I will read it when I wake up.

By the way, I quote you here:

if you look on ff threads they have a paperclip which is a list of all the relevant attachments including pdfs describing the price action setups and all the seniors in the public forum are fantastic about sharing everything they do.

More good PDFs? I will be very glad getting a link please :smiley:

Ben

Hi Ben,
Mike and Jim all trade price action setups. just that, they trade in a different way. Mike always want to go for A or A++ setups. Mike will refuse to commit his money to any setups that are less than A. Jim also trades these A or A++ setups but A or A++ setups are rare and they can only appear once a month or even once in a few months. As Jim said market always stay in a range for most of the time so he learn to trade a range market(which is dangerous for newbies who do not know how to trade them) and know when to protect his trades according to his exp and the knowledge of SR/PPZ zones. I agree with you Mike is more picker than Jim. As you can see different traders apply price actions setups according to their own preferences. A new trader must first identify how to trade those A or A++ setups first before moving to trade a range market. By the way Mike is doing well just trading all these A or A++ setups which produce giant moves.

Well I know enough people who have paid for the service and are happy enough with it and others who have just used the public forum and are happy with that. Is it not true to say that you get access to MORE videos and different stuff in the private forum?

I agree with you completely about Jim, he is completely selfless in his motivation to help others. My point with the sentence you quoted is that if you can get everything you need in the public forum then the private forum may or may not be worth the money depending on whether you want the contents tidied up for you or if you want to go right through the public thread to find the best bits.

I certainly wasn’t being derogatory towards James16 or anyone else, without him and other traders sharing their experience and knowledge we’d all be worse off.

Thanks Ray for the explanation. So I guess they just have a bit different trading styles. But the two of them have an enough large account to allow themselves pick only the A or A++ PBs.

By the way, I am a real newbie to FX, but here is a wiled guess how to trade a sideways (range) market in a daily chart:
First you go to weekly and identify the main trend. It will be safer to trade with the trend, but it is just a preference of mine right now. Then you go to the daily chart, and you draw the major S+R lines or better small zones to have the rage between them. The third step of mine will be identifying the PPZ that is within the range. If I cannot see it on daily, I move down to 4H or 1H cause I know it is there.
Now I will be waiting for a pin bar, it can be also a B pin bar if there isn’t an A. That PB needs to be a bullish PB that touches the Support line with it’s nose. I will place my order 10 pips above the upper wick of it. My SL will be 10 pips below the bottom wick. Now the hard thing that I know can hurt my profit is the ability to identify where to take profit and get out if the trade. So firstly I will look around and see if I have a couple of lows or highs in the area. That area can be a good place to get out. If I reach my PPZ which is within the range I get out as well. If I see price moving well and getting close to the PPZ, I go down to 4H and move my SL to the edge of the last closed candle’s bottom wick - that way I lock up my profits and I let the trade run and see if there will be a breakout. If there is a breakout I move my SL a few pips under the PPZ which is broken. That is because I know the price will continue to rise a bit, then go down to test the PPZ (which was resistance and now support), and then go up again and make a higher high in most cases.

I can trade it the same way on the other side, but in this stage I prefer going with the main trend.

What do you guys think? :slight_smile:

Ben