EURUSD - Buyers Beware?

M1

W1

D1

I wanted to share some recent analysis on where we feel the EURUSD may be heading, in hopes of sparking some discussion! Let’s hear what you have to say!

Indeed the EURO has displayed quite an impressive run kicked off by an American Summer rally boosting the pair 1200 points from the lows of early July 2013. However, murky waters lie ahead for the Fiber. Trading just under the 1.4 handle, the pair hasn’t seen the like since October 2011. Today, we breakdown where the EURO has been, and where we feel it may be heading. Caution: You may not like what you are about to read.

The EURUSD has spent very little time trading above 1.4 - most gains above this rate were negated 2 - 3x quicker than they were put in. Taking a look @ the Monthly chart, the aforementioned is illustrated by simply marking off the 1.4 level and tallying up all bars (including wicks) to get our figures.

[ul]
[li] 14 months
[/li][li] 10 months
[/li][li] 7 months
[/li][/ul]
The conclusion of this analysis leads us to believe that the EURO may not have the requisite strength to maintain the current bullish bias and that a reversal looms. Of the 3 last bullish waves to approach the 1.4 figure, diminishing buying strength is clearly present as represented by the flattening out of the bullish angular gains (black trendlines). The solid red print for the month of JAN 2014 was completely evaporated by the subsequent gains of FEB 2014, which may have lured buyers in to lay another attempt on 1.4.

However, half-way through the month of March, the market appears to be indecisive and is signalling a lack of continued buying interest and stalling @ the 1.39 - 1.40 zone.

Drilling into the weekly chart, our cautionary bullish sentiment is a bit more pronounced. The pair broke through our zone Q3/Q4 of 2011 to the downside, with a solid retest shortly thereafter leading to a 1600 pt decline. Naturally, the 1st pullback hits about the 50% mark and sellers are happy to step back in. The base of the current bull trend came off a 1500 pt decline into July 2012 - buyers gained confidence when a deeper pullback was put in, nearly wiping out that 2nd bear leg down. The lows held through the end of 2013 and through the current year, leading to the recent breakout structure in our 1.39 - 1.4 zone.

Here is where the proof is in the pudding- The clearing of the technical resistance level @ 1.3816 on March 6, 2014 (D1 CHART). With 3 recent touches off this level, sellers were accumulating and preventing any further gains. Most novices out there are taught “the more touches on a level, the more reliable it is” - yet, this can be quite the contrary unless you’re reading the price action which ensues. With each subsequent touch, sellers were making less ground, unable to put in a lower low. The highs were held, but, this should communicate orders being eaten away @ the 1.3816 zone, which then led to the breakout.

Given this analysis, there may be an opportunity in the med-longer term for a significant bear wave to overcome the EURUSD. As seen in the D1 chart, the pair has been stuck in an inconclusive range for the last 6 sessions. Monitoring primarily the D1 and the W1, an opportunity to get short in the 1.39 - 1.4 zone may present itself, targeting the lows of MAR 2013 initially and FEB 2014 longer term. Seeing we don’t just play one side of the market, a contrarian position would be feasible if buyers could hold the 1.38 figure and push through 1.4 with sellers conceding accordingly. Our initial short entry zone is 1.4050 - 1.4. This one may take some time to play out - so no rush.

If I were an Elliotician, I’d certainly be looking for an ABC corrective to the downside. Can’t remember the thread I posted in last week but at the time I stated 1.39 seemed fair value looking to the weekly. We shall see. :28:

Buyers really need to beware. If I am to buy, it will only be for a short term. EURUSD is going to drop in no time. I am now thinking of selling

@ R Carter - Thanks for illustrating that, looks good!
@ Forexlight - Thanks for the comment. Agree with the near term bullishness from a purely technical standpoint. Check out our chart below:

M15 Chart

-After the 1.4 approach, the pair sold off hard, but the post-breakout structure held (i.e. the lows above 1.3816).
-There was a 90 pt primarily impulsive (EW Theory terminology) bull wave, followed by some correction which we are seeing right now.
-This bull flag appears to have the requisite strength for a breakout and retest of the 1.3966 zone.

Buyers may wait for a cheaper rate toward the bottom of that channel to push back up and retest 3966 once more, or, they can step in intraday to prevent a lower low from being established from the most recent swing low.

Either way, seeing how price reacted last time just under 1.4 leads one to wonder if we can get up there again, will we see the same reaction.

EDIT: Typo.

W1 Chart from 3/16/2014 post

Updated W1 Chart @ 3/24/2014 09:00 EST

The EURO sold off against the USD nearly 200 points since the weak breakout identified on 3/16. Buyers found some support from a pullback into a fresh supply zone @ 3750. However, the EURO remains expensive. Not seeing real demand until 3500.

D1 Chart from 3/16/2014 post

Updated D1 Chart @ 3/24/2014 09:00 EST

The breakout structure identified two weeks ago is still in play. As mentioned, the pair found some intraday demand @ 3750. But, sellers are keeping the pressure on. Our key level of 1.3816 has acted as technical resistance for the last two trading sessions. The pair is starting to flag out. Shorts @ 3830 are good. Buyers may concede until 1.35. (1.36 will be a sticky point though).

M15 Chart from 3/17/2014 post

UpdatedM15 Chart @ 3/24/2014 09:00 EST

We missed our entry by 10 points. Sellers weren’t going to let the pair get up above 3950 for long, before putting in a 170+ point sell-off. This structure is now negated.

Look to get short w/ a pullback to 3850.

Hello Forexunlimited…

Certainly, if you look at this ten-year comparative chart of EUR/GBP, EUR/USD, EUR/JPY, and EUR/CHF, the most over-valued
at present is EUR/GBP, with EUR/USD and EUR/JPY a hot second and third, with the EUR/CHF as the most undervalued of all four…

Historical comparison graph for currency exchange rates since 1953

We could say, therefore, that the Euro is over-valued on at least three major pairs, but… nobody can predict the future; certainly, technicals alone are not enough to call the shots; to move the Euro we really need to see investors’ fear in pouring money into EuroBonds or other instruments that prop up the currency’s value… Or, we need to see the single currency as losing value as a reserve/‘safe haven’ for foreign capital… Then we have the pair-specific situation of EUR/USD, where a bearish scenario depends on USD strength too, which is certainly on the cards as the 2015 hikes envisaged by Yellen’s press conference last week would be something that the market, being forward-looking, may buy into even a year in advance of the event: what about the Euro? A strong single currency does not help the economy, obviously, as exports become too dear - and these are the bread and butter of the Union… Therefore, if Draghi will see the currency valuation as a problem for the wider real-economy recovery, he and his team will, indeed, do ‘whatever it takes’, as he is wont to say at every press conference!

Until then, however, EUR/USD is not something that I am confident in investing into, favouring the EUR/GBP on the downside for two reasons, among which is the carry value on selling the Euro, given the rate differential - the other reason, of course, being that the down-channel on the EUR/GBP is a well established one and a much clearer signal to anyone looking at the weekly/monthly chart for the pair.

Good luck with anyone trading this pair (EUR/USD)! I am sure that there will be interesting developments ahead…

Happy trading.

[B] This time , was my call based on a possible fake breakout in a range.

Most obvious was that the price went towards the north to test out as it did.

It is incredibly easy to analyze, but to react there and then and give live call is something else.

Why not give live call for what you do, then you exposes you yourself …

show chart when you took the trade and after the trade is over !!!

[/B]

Seems like you really like to analyze pairs from multiple aspects and that you have a deep understanding of macro/micro economic factors. That’s a powerful way to approach trading.

For me, all I need is a price chart. Everything you mentioned either is, or will begin to be factored into price shortly. Knowing all of that information is great - there’s no denying that. It’s great if you’re being interviewed on CNBC or any financial program and need to justify a position you’ve taken on an asset class. Or, if you prefer to lean on fundamentals. I fall in neither category :).

Personally, I’d rather save that computing/memory space in my brain to be able to read price action more deeply.

To me, price calls the shots. It always has, and always will. Fundamentals have their place - IMO, it’s @ the back of the line.

Clearly technicals (in the traditional sense) do not call the shots - I agree with you there.
My approach (which I’m sure you’ve seen by now) is a bit more involved than mere patterns and candlestick signals.
I like to really dive deep and investigate price movements to determine how the larger market players are positioning themselves.

Sell
eur usd

Sl entry 1-2 behind pb 5 min chart ,free ride

adding my position

out of all position

I don’t mind you sharing your booked trades every couple days or so, but please don’t give us the “play-by-play” on the trades you’re making, as you’re making them.

That’s not the intent of this thread.

Thanks torulf39.
Have a nice day,

-Jake

There’s a dynamic fibonacci level at 1.3834 for eur/usd 5 minute chart, I would go short now and take 5 pips till it hits 1.3834.

3832 is new weekly pp, most likely will act as support for the coming Asian session.

If I was to scalp between now and London open I would be keeping that line in mind.

Dear Forexunlimited, clearly price action is, in itself, a summary of the market’s intentions, so, as you say, it requires nothing more outside itself: all the information is right there, without all the ‘chatter’ of business news and subjective views… However, I would not call myself anything other than a trader who is learning that an awareness of fundamentals is a useful tool for me when trading and, sometimes, to have a constructive debate with other traders, especially where our technical tools/methods and/or trading style differs: where two traders agree on fundamentals, it is much easier to bridge their differences, sometimes.

I am open to learning more about fundamentals, in the long term, so the fact that I am more of a technical trader does not mean that a label should be glued to my forehead… No, the reality is that the learning curve is much more fluid for a newbie trader, and he/she will take a while before reaching that point at which their trading personality will be clearly defined.

Ultimately, though, I am starting to believe more (than when I started) that technical patterns have a simplicity about them which is very attractive to the trader’s mind but, ultimately, major news and events do stick two fingers up at our ‘perfect’ technical set-ups on a regular basis, by breaking levels, reversing ‘established’ trends, etc. Therefore, an awareness of these events and general market sentiment is not just optional for trading, but it must be something that we have in the back of our minds, on a daily basis.

Happy trading.

I really like this post - so thanks for sharing.
I’m busy right now so I don’t have the time to get back to you @ length - but I’ll respond later with my thoughts.

I did want to quickly share this though for discussion:

USDJPY D1 chart for the last year
Vertical lines are NFP release
[ul]
[li]Green lines signify better than expected/surprise figure
[/li][li]Red lines the opposite
[/li][/ul]
Values are posted as well.

Fundamentals do have an impact on the market. But, I’m not fully convinced that the markets react according to logic after a major release comes around. There are so many moving parts behind speculation on a currency, to be able to understand which micro/macro fundamentals have more of an impact vs. others, and when to fade vs. trade the news, would be nearly impossible without a deep understanding of price action & supply/demand foremost. Thus, why I feel you don’t need to pay attention to them at all. (Except for major releases which have the potential to whip you out of a position).

These markets are forward looking. I let the major players do all the heavy analysis and work on keeping ahead of the curve on fundamentals. Their positions will factor in every single split-second decision made on whether or not a piece of news is bullish or bearish for a pair.

Looking @ 1 major fundamental release, such as NFP, against 1 currency pair may be a bit limiting, but, it speaks to my point. More specifically, that, the release is of little importance as compared to where price is currently trading. Thus, there is no need to be aware of the underlying potential impact of an NFP release, other than where prices are currently @.

Marked on the chart are 13 NFP releases. NFP is arguably the most watched/traded market-moving event in America.

[ul]
[li]Of the 13 releases, 7 were better than expected. Logic would dictate this to be bullish for the USD.
[/li][li]Of the 13 releases, 6 were worse than expected. Logic would dictate this to be bearish for the USD.
[/li][/ul]

However, of the 7 better than expected, only 42% (3 instances) established meaningful bullish trends in price which lasted more than 3 trading sessions.

Of the 6 worse than expected, only 50% (3 instances) established meaningful bearish trends in price which lasted more than 3 trading sessions.

What does that communicate?

The attached chart is indicative of logic-defying price action, if a trader was depending heavily on fundamentals medium term.

It all boils down to where price is trading, how it has reacted their in the past, and the balance b/w buyers/sellers leading into the major economic release.

Now, there are two sides to every currency pair, so, obviously this minute study doesn’t factor in JPY-based event risk.

But, apply the same logic from this analysis to any other major, and you will see the same exact thing. Fundamentals saying one thing, price action saying another - and price action “winning out” more than 50% of the time.

HD LINK TO IMAGE - MAKE SURE TO ZOOM IN

EDIT: Image wasn’t come across properly.

I really like your post, and I absolutely share your sense that the market, often, behaves against what seems to be the expected logical conclusion… As you illustrated very clearly in your NFP market-reaction diagram for one Major pair, there is never any certainty for the trader, and no amount of reading or technical setting up can guarantee success in our trading; however, being prepared to two outcomes, rather than one, and planning around what would happen IF the market DID behave according to what the trading collective expected, are two worthwhile pursuits!

I sympathise with you and, to some degree, share your frustration with trading by fundamentals etc. However, as I said, even when the market behaves illogically, we can take advantage of that, e.g. by ‘straddling’ with OCO (one cancels the other) Entry Orders on a big-ticket news release, where we can use the high volatility to grab a lot of pips… So we can still trade the news without a bias, and take advantage of fundamentals…

I like your post… Thank you for sharing…

Torulf/Others-

I was hopeful my analysis would speak for itself, but I understand the desire to want to see some live trades - so I don’t mind sharing.

Here’s one I booked today:
Was looking for about 80 points in < 24 hours.
Captured just under 67% of the move (From swing high to swing low)

Here’s a link to an HD screenshot

EDIT- typo

Brave trade perfect exit … Jake,

Questions you had dared to hold the position if you used standard lot size ?

Once you spend serious money so change the game itself.

Therefore will I never let a position go from positive to negative.

It is extremely rare that I have Sl over 20 pips … only in cases like this, late into a spike,
If I had not been to the toilet would live my call been 15 pips before …

I note also that you inform about the trade after it has been successful …!!!

The forex forums are drowning in inane analyzes, the forums need is to live call with
debriefs after trade is over ,that shows what went good or bad …

As counter trader jake so there will be many bad debrief …