AUD: +231///+2.36
NZD: +611///+1.23
CAD: +144///+.7
GBP: -315///-2.05
JPY : -595///-5.43
USD: -1284///-12.54

Comms over Majors 4.29%
5 min. till the end of day

Well, one thing I did notice today. Has anyone seen the EUR just climb so much today, all day?? In fact, the first 2 days of the week went to the EUR (on top) also. That kind of tells me that there’s a lot of inside info going on.
I don’t know.
Any thoughts about that?

Mike

Hi Guys,

Small Caps reached new high which definitely confirms Peter´s thoughts about S&P reaching a new high too. I wait until the dust settles, the very best would be a retracement to buy at a better price. My eyes are glued to S&P. My TP was hit at 2099, I cannot complain about that.

Mike, I tell you honostly I have no idea about that inside information. I realized when I wanted to understand way too much then I got confused and lost. I focusing on lately to follow the main news, discuss with you guys my thoughts and your thoughts and accept what the market does. As we cannot influence it, it make just sense to accept it.

Have a good day and actually do you drink your coffee with or without sugar?

FE

So with the events of today I have not gone crazy. The stockmarket and the USD have diverged in fact.

In intermarket analysis, doesn’t that mean that dollar topped and the stock market will follow? or is no particular rule to which is the leading indicator?

Because we can also argue that commodities, at least for the time being, have bottomed.

Hi Philip,

hmmm I do not know if USD bottomed and I also do not see a sign which could be deciding. In fundamentals there is no change: the US economy is doing better then the others. Maybe it would be a more important question to answer if the EUR bottomed. I see that situation more rosy than earlier. If that is the case then maybe EURUSD bottomed but not the other pairs.

Commodities are interesting, if USD gets weaker they get stronger and I agree with you.

However at this moment there is one point where I see difference what you wrote: stocks. Until Small Caps make new low, no rate hikes come, I am more bullish on it. Not even mentioning the yield curve which topic you raised, and then Mike and Peter went more deeply into it. I do not know of course when the stock market tops but at this moment I think everything is fine, indicators also tell me the same.

What trades are you in?

Wish you all the best,
FE
PS: your thread is very nice, tell me if the programming is ready, that is the time when I joy the party :slight_smile:

The thing is if you compare DXY to SP500; yesterday when dollar fell, spx rallied. Now dollar is rallying a little but SPX is falling.

They should be moving in the same direction. So my question is simple which of them will follow the other?

I’m yet to enter any trades.
I’m thinking of longing DOW 30. A friend from the other thread did a backtest of over 30 years on my system and the results are great. It is close to showing a buy signal and it matches your bias as well. So it seems a decent trade.

Hey fellas…FE.
:44: (pour and drink!) (Mmmmmm)

Well, …what can I say. Yeah, I lost a good bit yesterday, but good thing it’s coming back around. With the USD/CAD, up.
My thoughts.
Given the come back during the Asian session, I feel the strength of the USD will keep itself afloat, relatively speaking. We’ll have to see how the week ends up. Maybe some more profit taking tomorrow.
I have seen, heard, of the treasury yields have moved down (USD). I wonder what it all means. Maybe Peter can explain it. From what I see, if the yields have gone down, then the value of the Dollar is under more pressure. (???) And then I heard that the GBP bond market yields have gone up. Is that right Peter?
I just wish I could put it all into perspective. (will just take some time for me to fully comprehend it)
Cause I think we should be paying attention to what the govt’s are doing. Which should have an affect on what the banks will do. Which we should be following.
Talk to me Peter. Shed a little light on this? If you know.

Bottom line is… It’s so dog gone interesting!!!

Oh, a shot of the USD, from the open, 1hr lines.

Mike

Again.
Here comes the USD.

Let´s do that. I buy S&P, you go with DOW 30 and we see how it went. Then we can later decide which was the better choice. I never traded the DOW so I leave it now for you.

I am not sure why you always look for the same direction for the USD and Stocks. Maybe Peter can help us. On my opinion they do not have to move together. Check out, S&P is on the uptrend since a couple of years with small retracements. I cannot say this at all about the USD. I think the main connection now is the rate hike with USD or no rate hike. I more try to answer the rate hike question compared to stocks and not the USD to stocks.

Please tell me at what level comes your DOW signal. I would also like to follow it at least (even if I do not trade it but want to learn it) if it yielded great results.

I have a question to both you and Peter as both of you talked more often about the possible rate hike in June or in September. The analysts do the same discussions. There is for me a bit lack of knowledge here. I do not know why are we always discussing these exact two months? Why not May, July, August or lets say October? What is the reason? Does it has to do something with quarters?

I have the feeling that everyone is developing is huge steps in trading, do not forget guys though to further discuss the happenings together.

I learnt from Peter and from other resources something very important: [B]“If you think you are a great trader and greed overtakes your trading then the losses are around the corner and will crash you.”[/B]

I like discussing our winnings as that is why we are here but I do not like inactivity. Stick together team, we still have some stuff to learn in the following hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades.

FE

Hey Team.
I’m with you FE!

Thursday’s results.
USD: +884///+8.29
JPY : +441///+3.68
CHF: +118///+1.31
NZD: +53////-.38
CAD: -104///-1.15
GBP: -398///-2.31
AUD: -395///-4.35
EUR: -599///-5.09

Majors up on Comms +5.88%

Well, we know who’s boss now. (boy am I glad I just held on to them, against the CAD) And still. Cause tomorrow we have the CAD with some big numbers.

15 min.'s till close

Mike

@FE I’m not yet in Dow 30 I will let you know when it happens.I think that both it and the SPX move in the same direction.

@Mike good for you buddy. This shows great conviction and resolve on your part.

I’d say today could be as good a day as any for your signal Philip, if the S&P looks for it’s new high the DJ will look north also.

I went long with S&P last night, so far it was continuously going in the right direction. We will see how the markets decide.

This is out of the intermarket analysis book. You guys can correct me on it if I’m wrong:

“Therefore, commodities trend in the same direction as interest rates…
A rising dollar is good for US stocks and bonds…
A falling dollar is bad for bonds and stocks when commodities are rising.”- [I]Intermarket Analysis, 6.[/I]

So based on that: FED remove ‘patient’ but say they will be cautions with interest rates. On the announcement of the news, commodities rally. Conclusion? FED was bluffing and it will raise rates.

Now while the commodities rose, the dollar fell. Based on Murphy’s model which I quoted above, this is bad for stocks and bonds. So the dollar fell and it should be the SPX that follows it down. Of course this takes time since Murphy works his intermarket analysis of monthly chart, but according to this model we should see a rise in commodities and a fall in stocks and dollar.

This seems clear but yet we disagreed on it. So what am I missing?

Hi Philip,

well, it is hard to complain with the book and what you wrote :slight_smile: And thanks for looking after the issue much that you even searched it in the book!

I am no Murphy by any means and can only share my own thoughts with you, it might not have any sense of course. And you might not be missing anything at all.

I will share you know what I see and think:
When you mentioned the monthly chart in the end of your post, you sounded like a typical analyst, who is always right. Basically you defended yourself that a fall is coming but you do not say when and how large it is. So if it is in 2 months, you are right, if 2 years, you are also right :slight_smile: If it will be 100 points you are right, if 500 point you are also right :-))) I am not teasing you, just to make sure how I interpret the last part of the post :-)))

Why am I bullish at this moment on S&P then? One part of the reason is your own post on yield curve. Another is the small caps with new high. The next one are the technicals which are all in an uptrend. And last but not least the fundamentals which show a low inflation situation and that is also good for stocks. As we discussed this week, I want to learn more about crashes to try and spot them as I have no idea when the next comes. And I have a SL every time on the trades. But these were the reason I am bullish on stocks.

And now on Murphy and the book. I follow those priciples as well, I like a book a lot. But Murphy also said we have to put these relations into perpective. I diverge with two of Murphy´s statements. First of all IMO the stock cicles have a different periodicity than currencies. Stocks are on the rise since a couple of years, this is a lot tougher by a currency. If Stocks rise 6-7 years continuously I can imagine that, however I cannot imagine a EURUSD falling 6-7 years continuously from 1.4000. Based on this assumption they have to diverge many times. The other thing is that I always consider commodities and stock markets completely different from currencies. Commodities and Stokcs in the very long history are “always rising”. They have huge retracements but prices go up. By currencies we cannot expect the EURUSD going to infinity on the upside. That is the reason why many people do not like to trade stocks to the downside but with currencies everyone has to be very flexible. This second reason is for me also important and shows that I have to observe stocks completely different from currencies.

I do not think the FED bluffed. The expectations were just enorm and I think most scenarios would have resulted in such a reaction. For stocks is the low inflation low rates scenario is great so they increase. For the USD the low rates scenario is bad so they decreased, and as you said, if USD decreases Commodities gained. After the dust settled, USA is still doing than the others so the currency started to make the lost pips back against both commodities and currencies, but not on stocks as the situation is just ideal for stocks. I think it all makes great sense.

On relationship with commodities, bonds etc. I agree mostly and as I said this is only my very personal view and it might be all wrong.

FE

Edit: S&P is moving nicely until this point

Yeah, FE is right, it’s all about context.

The commodities will rise and at the same time the USD will fall, then later stocks will turn around. How can I say ‘will’ and not ‘likely’? - it’s because of extremes and time - no one knows when or at what level or over what time span.

A recent lesson in this is the Euro.

On the monthly EURX the Euro made a big comeback on week July 15 2012 - yet this was at the height of bank bailouts in Europe, there was the PIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain) with huge debt issues, everything looked bleak for the Euro.

Interestingly, the EURX is right at that level (96.20) at present (just a little side note :))

Ok I mean you raise some good points. But may be I should be clear. There is a difference, imo, between a bias towards the market and the momentum towards the market.

For example when it comes to trades taken, FE and I are taking the same trade; Stocks long. That is because momentum is telling us it will go up.

But what I’m trying to discuss here is the ‘outlook’ for stocks in the future. For example FE noted that the SPX was moving nicely upwards. But he again failed to recognize that dollar has moved in the opposite direction.

My question is why was it that before the FED dollar was moving with stock market and now it is commodities that move with stock market?

@peterma of course all things will rise and fall over different time. But if we believe in inter-market analysis then we know things have a pattern of movement that may change over time.

Here I quoted the Murphy model that says falling dollar with rising commodities is bad for stocks. So you said no its all about the context. Great, what is the current context?

The example you gave me about the Euro is beyond my ability because I do not know the inter-market analysis for Euro. I know it for Dollar. Euro could be tied to commodities so it rose because may be commodities rose. You can also argue that yes, Euro did rise at that time. But anyone with an ‘outlook’ would have seen the trouble Euro is in and was ready when it collapsed in 2014.

Hi Philip,

true momentum and outlook is different. On S&P trading I did not look at USD at all to decide the direction. I think all reasons I mentioned before just line up for the upside, regardless what USD is doing.

On the long-term of course it is like you said, rising commodities are bad for stocks. For me as a trader is important momentum and at this moment I do not see any reason for rising commodities. Except for my short-term trade Gold long setup which I mentioned yesterday and I already missed the signal.

Hmmm I enjoy discussing this :slight_smile:

Well Philip, did you get the buy signal on DJ

FE, the S&P is toying with us, see how it’s saying that I might just make that new high today, then again I might not.

Oh well, at least it’s making a try :slight_smile:

Philip, current context is fear - I was previously posting the difficulty that the Fed were in - just out of a horrible recession, green shoots of recovery, the Fed were making noises of getting back their rate tool.

The int rate increase was NOT hinging on the usual criterion of inflation/commodity price (incl oil) increase, it seemed to be hanging on jobs/wages alone.

This seemed to be foolish thinking, the thought was that better jobs/wages would increase the inflation risk, so the better NFP added fuel to the fire - thus the S&P fall.

Context is that the job situation is exactly like a poster (Mack something) said on BP last year re UK job numbers - they are low paid, part time or self employed jobs - GBP was flying high at the time based on job numbers that would increase inflation pressure.

The Fed have clarified, the signal is that yes they are still focussed on jobs but they are including all data - sigh of relief, fear gone, S&P will make it’s new high, all is well, USD can now begin to fall, commodities can begin to rise, the threat of inflation will become more real … the Fed will rise int rates :slight_smile:

Please keep talking!!!

Don’t stop.

I’m learning a lot.

Mike