COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Hey Traders! I bought Gasoline on Friday based on a phenomenon I observed.

I had the instrument on my watchlist for a while now. The price has been dropping since July and it’s currently at a 4 years low. Commercials were heavily bullish a month ago, now the COT Index is neutral.

I would have not taken the trade if I did not notice a tendency for price to start rallying around October or November. Well, at least it did happen in the last 3 years. Not to mention a major WVF (Williams VIX Fix) signal.

We’ll see how this one works out.

Here comes the COT Report analysis for this week. As you know, I attach 1 new product to my analysis every week. From this week, I will start adding the Forex pairs, so please do not do your COT analysis on the 7 pairs as we would work twice on the same products. I will add the JPY to my analysis as they make some crazy moves lately.

At this moment I do analyse the RUB, Crude Oil and drop the false Nikkei from my products. Like I said, I will add the JPY from this week. I also have silver in my database but BB does analyze it and I only want to do the analysis now when it is an important time for silver because of turning. I will leave it for BB. The weekly work/product is 15 minutes at this moment if I already have my database. If it is a new product, it can take up until 75-90 minutes. BB, you can tell if the 15 minutes/product is too slow or not. I cannot compare it. The 90 minutes is way too much, I try to be faster from now on.

I only post here charts if it worth to discuss.

Crude oil

Nothing interesting.

Silver

Ok guys, if I do not take this signal then there is no reason for me anymore to follow the COT report. That is my feeling. Besides Willco and the Movement Index, all 4 indexes scream: “BUUUUUY”. Since 6 month, until we do this, it is the very first signal. I move in. We know that COT is not a timing signal. The report is anyway 3 days late. I checked the last two times when it had such readings. In June this year the signal came timely and prices rallied for a 2 months, $3. In middle 2013 we have seen something similar, COT was $2 and 2 weeks early, then prices rallied $7 higher. So now it comes to the technicals. Friday was really strong for silver. I wait what comes on Monday. If it will be up again then I enter the market on Tuesday. This is not a trading suggestion here. I just told my thoughts. As in many forex blog posts I have read it is stupid to throw money away. But I also read it is also stupid to make analysis and because of fear in the end miss the move. I will not miss it this time. I enter with very tight stop loss in case it is a retracement. I do not give much room to lose. Now I am very interested what BB has to say.

RUB

Ok guys, I know it is crazy but muscle flexing continuous! For the charts, please check my middle of the week analysis. Extreme economic situations bring extreme readings. I said on Wednesday we have to watch out because of fundamentals. I will still wait with the entry here, and when I do enter the market then with a tight SL in the beginning. Still, I have confirmation since the middle of the week analysis! The commercial COT Index moved away from the 100 extreme reading. Also Open Interest is coming back to the “normal levels”. The net positions for commercials are decreasing from extreme levels, still increasing for commercials. This tells me what Peter described me in the beginning of this thread: Non-Commercials are the most bullish at market turns and Commercials get it right. Well, the carry trade is just the best from all pairs with going long on the Ruble and besides that check guys the Friday chart on Ruble. It might be it. I watch out and if the next 2-3 days show me it is the turn, well then enjoy the ride with the carry trade! My position will be smaller than for silver as I hit myself already once with exotic currencies.

JPY

Ok guys, this analysis is also ready. So, I did speed up actually, instead of 75-90 minutes, setting up the new database and charts took about 40-45 minutes. The most part is actually now the writing and making those print screens. There is really nothing to see but I post the pictures as this is the first time the analysis is ready for the JPY. As I said, there is not much to see, we are away from COT extremes. OI increased big time but COT Index and the Movement Index do not show anything special. So the conclusion is: not extremes, no long term trades to open based on the COT Report.

BB: there is a Willco sell signal. I am not sure if this is valid. Do we only care about Willco signals when they are at market extremes? Or when they are not at market extremes then they are signals for re-entries?

BB, one more question: do you see always the 100 or 0 COT Index level when the market turns or does it sometimes not reach the very extreme level?

Extreme COT conditions usually come hand-in-hand with Extreme Willco readings. I like to see both present, if I’m fishing for a bottom/top. If I want to hop on the trend, I’m more than happy to take the Willco signal in itself.

There are times when the market does turn without reaching extreme COT Index readings, although it is rare. A period after a massive Commercial buying/selling would be a perfect example.

I’ll probably make a quick video tomorrow in which I’ll show how can you make the creation of database fast.

Ok, thanks. That would be great!

Actually the copying data for the existing data goes quite fast. The most time is updating the excel charts/tables.

Of course what takes a long time is the creation of the new database. There is the lost time. So I am excited to see the video.

Thanks for your effort BB. We do appreciate that! You see we haven’t done quite yet or not even there yet. I am still struggling ‘mostly’ with the graphs. It doesn’t look right. I’ll probably have to come back to you with some questions on that later on.

Good weekend guys.

I’m working on a new way of doing things. So this week there won’t be one of my usual reports. But I’ll leave you all with what has changed in specs net positions briefly. Since dollar hasn’t been dominating it doesn’t make sense to do my usual analysis.

Specs have added to their AUD and NZD net shorts but reduced their CAD net shorts. Specs still remains net sellers of commdolls.

Specs have once again added to their EUR and GBP net shorts for the 6th and 5th consecutive weeks.

Swiss franc however had seen some ‘minor’ decline in their net shorts (62) and yen net shorts are slowly increasing after a steady drop of 4 consecutive weeks. Specs still remains net sellers of CHF and JPY.

Nothing much has changed since last weeks report. I am interested to see how yen goes from here. As we all know BoJ dropped a bomb I forgot if it was last week or the week prior. Anyhow what I’m trying to say is that the further climb up in yen net shorts could be due to that. Specs have been shedding their yen net shorts off steady for few weeks prior the announcement I believe. And there comes the positive correlation between yen and gold. That wasn’t expected at all. I’m thinking it could be risk off thing ? I’ll look more into that.

PS: guys get a copy of this magazine its for free :301 Moved Permanently

AUD etf just broke major support and it seems like top is nowhere to be found on AUD=X or USDAUD but it could decline a bit more and the opposite for AUD etf, no ? We go long on AUDUSD by blending the two.

Hi guys,

as you know sometimes I write an email about our main topic. Now I think what happens is not that we post too much off the topic, but I still not see currently where we are heading to. I write you some stuff and I would like to get a short answer from all of you (I think from Peter is not needed).

[I]That is how I see the current standings[/I]:
We have got a long way behind us and once BB suddenly appeared in the thread and showed a great tutorial which was a breakthrough. Everyone was happy and satisfied. We said we need some time to advance with it. Well, now about 1 month has passed and still there is no single COT analysis in the way he made it - besides the couple of market which I follow.

[I]My expectations:[/I]
This is important to emphasize from my side: I do NOT have any expectations from any of you as this is a free time activity and no one gets money for his analysis. Still, I would like to know how you guys see the COT analysis for two reasons:

1. I have to plan what markets do I analyze in the future which is based on how many people is wishing to participate in the new COT analysis
  2. Based on the number of participants we should distribute in the markets in the beginning. Now is still everything open. I add new markets to my database and I am flexible. But when I setup my database then I do not really want a discussion that I took away interesting markets and the rest is there for you. I would like to discuss it now and do not change it later.

[I]COT analysis at this moment:[/I]
Instead of going forwards I think we only make steps backwards. BB does his analysis but half of his products are not presented yet on the weekend. I am moving forwards but slowly, adding only 1 extra product to my database/week. Rookie did not do his anayslis, although as he does the US pairs and they lost value, I agree with him, we might not see anything interesting there. Mike did his analysis but not there yet with the COT report. Our Philip has disappeared until now :slight_smile:

[I]Our current COT report distribution and what we do:[/I]
Mike does his sentiment analysis Majors vs. Comms; Philip does Currency Cross COT Index; Rookie does USD pairs, BB does metals and I do different markets. Well, this is everything but organized. Everybody does something but the problem is that the puzzles do not make a nice piece of work together. Philip and Rookie does do our “older version of analysis” which is ok but here is to see the difference between our old and new COT analysis: the old version only concentrates on net positions and COT Index while BBs tutorial shows 6 different analysis for every market and it does not take more time at all than our old analysis. So it does make sense to invest the time and learn it. The more I am in the faster it gets every week. BB makes a video today, it is even more help.

[I]The future:[/I]
Here comes the interesting part. As I said I have no expectations but would like to know your plans because I would like to coordinate the issue. Here is how the market is currently divided and the thread members intentions to do the new COT report analysis:
[B]BB[/B]: [I]7 metal market + 4-5 other markets[/I]. I do not know the 4-5 other markets, you said you follow altogether 11-12 markets. Please tell us these markets so we do not do double analysis. Please also write a summary at least (does not have to be charts for every single product) every weekend so we know how the other markets are doing.
[B]FE[/B]: I put myself on 2nd place not because I am selfish but I am the only one besides BB to do the analysis. I follow this moment [I]RUB, JPY and Crude oil[/I]. As you know I follow for myself silver now but this does not count as it belongs to BB and I made a false Nikkei analysis (bad Nikkei product) and I will not follow it in the future. I thought I could manage 1 new USD pair product to my database every week.
[B]Rookie[/B]: as today you said it, I do believe you will change your method - I guess to our new method - so I suspect you will join us. [I]There is no markets distributed for you at this point.[/I]
[B]Mike[/B]: I am not 100% sure if you would like to do the new kind of analysis. I do believe you learn excel but I am not sure if you would like to use it for your own analysis or for the new method. [I]There is no markets distributed for you at this point.[/I]
[B]Philip[/B]: I have no information on you if you would like to participate in the new analysis or not.
[B]Peter[/B]: I think you stay by intermarket analysis and fundamentals and you do NOT want to participate, that is why I think you do not need to answer this post. I write you down here as you are an important member for us and every member has to be listed here to have a clear view on the situation.

[I]Distribution:[/I]
As you guys see there are way too many question marks and very few certain points. [I]I have to know who is there, how many markets does he wish to follow and what kind of markets.[/I] BB said he follows 11-12 markets. I think that is a good first goal. I will try to reach that number. Now why is it important to know who will do the analysis? It greatly influences the markets we cover.
In case it is only BB and me: we will cover metals, USD pairs, Crude oil and RUB.
In case rookie joins: we can cover stock indexes and maybe some important agriculture products (+ the above mentioned)
In case Mike and Philip also joins: we ask BB to work out the currency cross excel formulas, we would cover all crosses which means we would basically cover most of the products out there.

As you see for the planing it is important to know who is there and who is not. If I know who is there then I can see which markets can we cover and do the work that way.

And even though if you do not have the time to learn the tutorial now, I would now that you come and we can already distribute you the markets. So please tell me your wishes.

The distribution has two possibilities: we give for every person a segment. A possibility is: metals, USD pairs, crosses 1. half, crosses 2. half and someone agriculture products. The other possibility is to just decide and give everyone commodities from all segments. First I thought the 1 segment = 1 person option is better but I am not sure. If we give all segments for everyone then we get a view on all markets and also we get more experience. So I am not against with mixing the segments. As you guys wish. I am very flexible for my part in the different market segments. I would like to keep the markets I do which is already mixed (exotic currency, 1 USD pair and 1 petroleum product). It is fun this way. I can also do agriculture, it is something new for me.

Please start an open discussion on the issue so at the end I have an excel sheet what I can share with you where all participants are listed with their markets. The best would be if you do not tell me the exact product you wish to do, but the segments or if you give me the exact products then tell me also how many product do you wish to do (10-12 like BB and me or more/less). In this case please give me more options than what you wish to do as there might be more people wishing to do the same thing so I have we have to decide who makes what.

As you see the next step in the efficiency and development process is just around the corner but some motivation and work is need again to reach it.

Thanks a lot,
FE

Hi Rookie,

sorry, I do not get it. Why should we go long based on AUDUSD that graph? You just said there is no resistance to see. I mean it lines up what you right with my current bearish USD bias but the graph does not seem to confirm it.

FE

[B]My database[/B]

[ul]
[li]Gold
[/li][li]Silver
[/li][li]Platinum
[/li][li]Palladium
[/li][li]Copper
[/li][li]T-Bonds
[/li][li]S&P 500
[/li][li]VIX Index
[/li][li]Wheat
[/li][li]Corn
[/li][li]Sugar
[/li][li]Coffee
[/li][li]Gasoline
[/li][li]Natural Gas
[/li][li]
[/li][/ul]

Which should I include here?

[B]Platinum[/B]

[I]COT Index[/I]
Commercial - 87
Non-Commercial - 20

[I]OI[/I]
Price - declining
OI - stagnate
Shorts - declining
Longs - increasing

[I]CP/OI[/I]
Longs - 25%
Shorts - 61%

[I]Willco[/I] - 88%

[B]Palladium[/B]

[I]COT Index[/I]
Commercials - 22
Non-Commercials - 77

[I]OI[/I]
OI - stagnate
Shorts - stagnate
Longs - weak increase

[I]CP/OI[/I]
Longs - 19%
Shorts - 84%

[I]Willco[/I] - 13%

OK sorry for the late reply but again the system is yet to generate any trading opportunities for the upcoming week. I thin however we should pay attention to Oil in the coming weeks.

Hi BB,

thanks for the fast answer. So the question is if you really follow all 14 markets or you only have the database. If you only have the database but you do not really update it on a weekly bases then we should look what we choose you to watch. In case you update all these markets every week, you can post your results.

Important is that you do not have to post of course charts for all analysis. That would make a lot of senseless work as in most markets there are no signals. I think how you analysed last week or I did this week are two good examples how it functions right. Also Platinum and Palladium from this week is a good example. We should all post a few words for all products which does not get our interest because nothing happens and concentrate us on the few where we expact “action”.

Still I think it is good to write at least “Nothing special” for all other products where there is not to see (For example: Platinum - Nothing interesting, Palladium - Nothing interesting …) because this shows all other readers that you have checked them, it is not forgotten, but there is nothing to do at the current situation.

FE

Hi Philip,

of course we can pay attention on oil, it showed some support but in the COT there is nothing intersting about it, that is what my analysis showed. It does not mean there are no good opportunities but based on COT we are far away from all extremes. Of course it also helps to define at least which Oil product we are talking about. I mean US Crude oil.

FE

Oil - the commercials in Petroleum, well rather investors who invest in those commercials (companies) are bullish, well here is the current chart, and some info on who, what and so on.

^XOI Components | NYSE ARCA OIL & GAS INDEX Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Amex Oil Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasoline is a by-product of oil, therefore if Oil rises then also gasoline, and likewise the opposite.

The above chart is before any move, so I will watch what those investors will do when the take the shares up to the 1500 area, the ma’s have crossed upwards.

Here is another index, this time a hindsight one, but none the worse for that since it a great teacher.

On Fri past the S&P opened up as we know re Japan, it had a good day on Monday and reached a recent high.

There was an indicator that suggested a good likelihood of a small pull back, it’s an index of indexes - yep, a one stop shop for US stocks:

Quick info here:

Wilshire 5000 Total Market Index (TMWX) Definition | Investopedia

Anyways, that index was telling us it had just hit it’s previous high for the 4th day, but it closed where it opened, it was a reach up.

Good indication for a pull back the next day (Tue)

Blue vertical is Tue past.

Sorry for inundating you guys with all these charts, I’ll ease off now. If I may, I’ll post one more.

It’s an ETF, Rookie has been talking about this.

ETF’s are an investment vehicles, go into any IFA (Independent Financial Advisor), and show him a big wad of notes, after he composes himself he will may ask which area do you wish to invest in. “Gold” you state, he’ll answer “did you ever hear of an ETF called GLDX”.

Well here it is. I know there is talk of volume and so on, so check out the second last bar and it’s associated volume. Note that it is a close down day, it closes at the bottom, no new low, and price range is less than the previous day (some guys call them inside bars/days since the range is inside the previous day)

So what was all the volume about then, well the next day is the give away.

Moral of the story - thinking about silver/gold, keep an eye on the investors.

All charts by stockcharts.com and are free, so thks to them.

I use the 1 minute commodity trader system. So I use 6 months data. We are in an extreme on that, I’m just waiting for that 52 week MA to turn.

Isn’t that system about going with the trend?