Farewell United Kingdom

Well, yes and no. Farage might get a peerage and still be involved in negotiations? He has 17 years’ experience as an MEP, after all?

Both that nice Michael Portillo and that nice Ken Clarke are hugely relieved that Boris is out of it, and that’s good enough for me.

[U]Very[/U] interesting article about Andrea Leadsom in today’s [I]Times[/I], by (Lord) Danny Finkelstein. Saying that if becoming PM she [I][U]has[/U][/I] to call a general election, but the other two wouldn’t.

And the day’s sad, sad news: one of Matthew Parris’s llamas has died, at the weekend (you heard it here first).

This wasn’t really “news”, I think? :wink:

Don’t worry: they’ll land in Gozo instead, and wonder whether it’s part of Malta, and whether it’s a “country”, etc. etc. etc.

As Richard Osman would say (and regularly does): “And by ‘country’, of course, I mean a [I]sovereign state that’s a member of the UN in its own right[/I].” :35:

DQ instead of UK:

D i s u n i t e d Q u e e n d o m

:slight_smile:

And then there were two …

Bye bye, Gormless Gove :slight_smile:

I suspect many of their 150,000-strong Conservative electorate might have preferred to have a choice between May and Gove in the run-off, myself.

George Galloway, speaking on [I]Question Time[/I] tonight, likened the May/Leadsom choice to one between “John Major in a dress and Margaret Thatcher reincarnated” (hoping he’s wrong about that - I don’t see why not: he is about many things, after all?).

Meanwhile, that nice Charlie Falconer managed, somehow, to be reasonably loyal to both Blair [I]and[/I] Corbyn, but there you have it: he [U]is[/U] a lawyer, after all.

theres a choise between a bremain leader and a woman that said a year ago “a brexit would be suicide for UK and a desaster for our economy” and then changed her mind jumping on the poppulist politics train following farage and johnson to be in public and spotlight for a change (and has not even full 4 years of political experience).

arent those a bit “odd” chances to lead the UK out of EU with soneone who wants to stay or someone who has absolutely no clue? negotiating deals with EU will be an easy job for EU if andrea wins and a disaster for UK.

for UKs benefit i hope Theresa wins.
For EUs benefit i hope andrea wins.

lately, to me, brittish politics looks more like gambling texas poker between a clown and a kid. im sorry.

Not so much, I think. First, Andrea Leadsom said that 3 years ago, not a year ago, and the situation was rather different then (she maintains); secondly, nobody considers Theresa May “a Bremain leader” - far from it, in fact: her own Conservative electorate considers her to be largely Eurosceptic, and she did no campaigning at all for the “remain” side.

It’s true that Leadsom has comparatively little experience and hasn’t been in the cabinet (but the same was true of both Blair and Cameron when each became Prime Minister).

I agree that she looks like the safer option from the UK perspective.

Yes; I agree with that, also.

I think the same observation could be made about quite a few other European countries, too. All over Europe people are increasingly voting for parties of both the far right and the far left, as a protest response to the EU. We see this also in Spain, Greece, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Netherlands, and to some extent even in Scandinavian countries.

A member of the [U]audience[/U], on the BBC’s [I]Question Time[/I] last night, made the interesting point that the EU was perhaps going to collapse (or at least collapse in its present form and transform itself into something very different) anyway, and by voting for Brexit, the British have now put themselves in the position of being blamed for that, simply by becoming the first domino to fall, because other countries doing the same over the next 5-10 years will now be seen as “following the British example”.

(By the way, I’m an immigrant here, myself.)

Great question: where are they gonna go? Asia? Haha!

Looks like Theresa May will bag it. Some hope for Bremainers then. Do you think the Trigger of article 50 will cause another steep plummet in the pound.

Yes, May will be PM.

I think the Pound sellers have had their bag of profit and there is not much selling left to do…

I think also that markets have now seen this as a ‘close shave’ but risks are mitigated and

they may already be looking beyond the UK’s EU referendum…

I may be wrong.

Leave voter on the news disappointed that May will be the new Tory leader, she thinks Farage should have got it!
There really should be an IQ threshold before you’re allowed to vote

Farewell David. Nice Guy, shame he stacked the country into a tree. I found him to be the acceptable successor to Tony Blair’s New Labour inclusiveness and centre ground politics; indeed the first ever vote for a tory Government.

I wonder what he’ll be doing now

Im pretty sure he wont be going to watch tennis any time soon

Serving his constituents as their MP and raising his children, I shouldn’t wonder.

He had quite a good “innings”, overall, for a Prime Minister. History will be pretty kind to him, I suspect. (Especially compared with Blair. And people appreciate that he couldn’t have won an election without guaranteeing a referendum.)

(He’ll be offered (a) any cabinet position he wants and (b) a peerage, but my guess is that he’ll take neither. They very rarely do. I think Alec Douglas Home was the last Prime Minister who continued in government after standing down as PM, and that was a long time ago.)

Actually, he was at Murray’s Wimbledon final…

I know, and he got booed by the spectators, that’s why I don’t think he’ll be watching tennis any time soon

That would have been a coup, certainly.

Eyes are on the Labour leadership election, today: their NEC will rule on whether Corbyn’s automatically on the ballot. They say that if it’s a show of hands vote, he will be, but if they vote in secret he won’t. Either way, whatever they rule will probably be challenged in court, so I suppose it doesn’t make much difference, really.

Tonight’s attack in Nice, France is more evidence that the Brexit was the correct move. With this week’s price reversal in EURGBP, I would not be surprised to see a retracement of the entire Brexit move over the next few weeks

Britain had terrorism before joining the EU: Northern Ireland was entirely home grown.

The EuroPound retracement may well happen, but the Pound rally happened well before the Nice attacks, based on the BoE rate hold, n’est-çe pas?