a major terrorist target: in 2015 alone,

there were around 12000 terrorist attacks

around the world, with about 28000 deaths,

principally in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Paikstan,

and Nigeria.

Somehow we, in Europe, only wake up to the troubles

of the world when it hits us…

…and yet we so easily forget the Troubles:

yes, of course. countries outside the EU are magically protected from terrorism. how could we continental ldiots forget about that. maybe USA should first join the EU then Amerix it to prevent 9/11 boston bombings orlando shoting etc etc

pakistan nigeria afghanistan iraq indonesia syria etc etc aswell first join then “insert random 3 letters here”-exit the EU in order to prevent terrorism.

hmm the mossat cia and kgb might be interested in this “terrorism preventing strategy”

Haha nice one, Turbo

Some interesting comments, I however fail to see how pointing out acts of terror by the IRA 30 years ago has anything to do with current events. As far the US being protected from terrorism, just the opposite is true. But seeing how my little post has provoked so many negative comments shows how quick we are to fight among ourselves at a time we should be standing together in opposition to a common enemy

Everyone be safe

The world has a common enemy and we together need to take care of it. We need to take care of what’s in front of us , not look back and point fingers at past events.

Well, indeed,but who isnthis common enemy? The men with beards? Anti-Japanese crime and abuse post-Pearl Harbour was something that all Japanese Americans had to live on their skin… So, will there be more anti-Muslim hate crime now? Also, the IRA and paramilitary events have everything to teach us: let us not.forget how Martin McGuinness was special envoy to the Middle East to share the British insights into reconciliation within terror-stricken communities during the NI peace process. The NI province’s terrorist attacks are no ‘minor’ or ‘past’ pieces of modern history, as the Bloody Sunday inquiry came to an end not long ago and many people in parts of NI still bear the scars of those atrocities: shootings, beatings, torture, weapon smuggling, drug wars, were all part of it. A dirty war that dragged on within a seemingly peaceful Western country…

…scapegoat to exorcise humanity’s evils from within their communities…

The truth is that all of us, even the ‘good’ men and women we all know and love, may be capable of unspeakable acts of barbaric cruelty: why do ‘nice’ men rape? Why do’normal’ citizens go out on shooting sprees? Why did the ‘neighbourly’ Austrian man have a cellar with an imprisoned woman with whom he fathered several children?

It is much harder to accept that there are evil and violent tendencies within all of us than to try finding someone else to blame (possibly people who cannot defend themselves)…

This is what we are doing.

hey denis. my point of my post was not to fight each other. you made a comment which was a bit “not intelligent” (and im not trying to say that you are not intelligent, only reffered to that one sentence) trying to point out that beeing no member of the EU will not protect you from terrorist attacks.

since you felt the need to make this cross refference and try to slaughter out the death of 85 men, woman and kids in favour for something that is absolutely not connected to terrorism (brexit) i felt the need to prove your statement has no solid ground.

i know im an a$$hole sometimes i admit it. but hey when i can live with idiots (not reffering in any way to you here denis, but to other people i came across) then everyone of you must live with a$$holeTURBONero

Great post, Turbo :wink:

PipMe’s post 242 sums up a lot, in the headline he uses ‘terrorism’, yet in the last 5 words of the image lies the two perspectives.

I can remember a few years ago a young journalist from South Africa being interviewed by BBC radio, she talked about ANC and terrorism and was informed during the live broadcast that in the UK we do not regard that word in tandem with the ANC, the SA journalist was merely repeating what she had been fed.

McGuiness didn’t go to the Mid East to share a British perspective, rather the opposite, the motivation was to share the Irish perspective, how to rise above, how it is possible to share and prosper within a limited space, just like the Irish have always done.

The common enemy is easy to recognize, look for neither for beard or gun, look only for he who hates.

what is much more connected to terrorism than brexit is the fact that the EU (lead under cameron pushing this issue in order to make things cheaper for UK) and USA cut down on their financial and humanitarian help for refugees worldwide by 90% two years ago. so the refugees decided "lets go europe, lets go germany, lets go france, lets go UK, lets go USA- after all: 3000 kilometers of walk is better then sit on a hot stone waiting to starve to death.

Good post peter.
History has a habit if reinventing “terrorists” and other extreme groups to suit current fashion. I remember the BBC referring to the Mudjuhadin as freedom fighters fighting against the USSR. Then the USSR breaks up, the West get all chummy with Russia, and that same group are then referred to as “terrorists”.
Somewhere else in the world, the very people we refer to today as terrorists are seen in a completely different light.

Agree woth your last point.

Definition of terrorist is indeed shifting, depending on political flavour of the month, and who is the victor… However, Norhern Irish terrorism was so by dictionary standard, if we took it to mean the following:

As for McGuinness, yes, an Irish perspective: indeed, NI has much more in common with Ireland, historically, than the rest of the UK, but loyalist ties are strong and to some NI it is a British identity tinged with an ‘arm’s length’ relationship with the rest of Britain. I was merely putting a British slant on things as we were talking about Britain’s relationship with its troubled past, and NI, even with its devolved executive, is still part of Britain (until proof to the contrary emerges).

In the end, it cam became just semantics, like the ‘trader/gambler’ labelling, so it is for the enemy: he/she who hates must be stopped. Yet at what cost? Is pre-emptive strike/war the right way? Chilcott deemed it not, therefore we must only seek in education and rehabilitation of violent offenders the way forward, just like it was peace talks post-WorldWarTwo and post-Troubles that ended conflict, rather than generational continuation of conflict.

That is just my view. Demilitarisation, and education.

Yep, it’s a long story, around 300 years je crois, as always it’s the innocent that suffer.

I often wonder, and perhaps Brexit offers an answer, would women be as hard, would there be as many wars or would there be more talking and less fighting, always it’s the ego in all it’s forms.

Anyways, by chance a song on my local station has just come on, I know it well, few know who wrote it:

(The author carefully includes towns North and South, forever the diplomat, one of America’s best)

Just having a look at the image on the dictionary , set me remembering.

I remember, in my school uniform, a very large guy, face blackened with some kind of camouflage, a combat beret tipped over to one side, jumping from a moving military vehicle, a very large stick in his raised right hand.

It came down with a massive thud, just to the right side of my head, I felt it’s wind - he deliberately missed.

Many times I think what was it that caused the rage, and why did he miss at the last second - I will never know.

Sometimes we have to experience life situations before we can try to understand, right now we are living through Brexit, so perhaps we can explain to our children and grandchildren much better than any dictionary or history book can.

This makes for an interesting read
How Britain has been kept safe for a decade - BBC News

Like many other countries, France makes a great show of having armed police patrolling, but I suspect that’s all it is, a show.
In the UK, most of the time, we seem on the surface much more relaxed, less concerned, , rather like a swan floating effortlessly in the water. What you don’t see is the legs working frantically beneath the surface.
I flew to Southern France a couple of years ago. Armed police as expected but, compared to the UK side of my journey, very little in the way of bag searches and dozens of passengers walking thru security to board the plane carrying litre bottles of water, something they could never do over here.

Great thread posts!

i remember osama bin laden beeing teached by the CIA how to organize a terror war against UDSSR and been given weapons and intelligence by the CIA to fight the UDSSR troops.

aswell remember the bin laden family (one of the ritchest families of saudi arabia and the family of osama) beeing one of the best business partners of the bush family (the US presidents buschs) and even that osama was threatened in a CIA hospital on some sort of desease before the first attack on the world trade center (sometimes in the 1990ies when bush senior was president).

even remember that the bushs and bin laden family even today share very close ties and meet regurarly in their private houses.

sounds very steange to young people here but those are all true facts.

all the world’s a stage… And all the men and women merely players

Two huge advantages for the UK, first is that it is an island, and second is GCHQ.

Sometimes I despair of politicians, the focus IMO is to remove the reasons/excuses for hate, there was a guy who gave a blueprint on some ways of doing that back some 2000 years ago, but who listens to old guys?

Kris Hopkins: New NIO minister survived two IRA attacks - BBC News