Farewell United Kingdom

Here is a news report of a Imam invited to speak at a local Mosque calling for death of gays, one week later Orlando will see the worse mass killing in US history. I do not need to look for stories from 30 years ago to prove my point. I live in Orlando, these events are happening just a few miles from my home and they are happening now

If you think for one second that the shootings and bombings in Northern Ireland are consigned to the history books, then you are sadly mistaken.
Timeline of dissident republican activity - BBC News
The difference between now and then is that it is no longer viewed newsworthy outside Ireland. Sadly, it would need either a massive atrocity or a revival or UK-mainland bombings for most of the media to wake up to what is happening in another part of the UK.

That is so sad.

The media are always after the next story…this time last year the world seemed to be ending when the people of Greece voted for Grexit…has anybody heard of Greece anymore? The conflict in Ukariane recently seemed to spark a new Cold War if we went by the intensity of media coverage: why do we not hear about it any more? Have Greece and Ukraine suddenly sorted out all their problems? Of course not…and the same is true for Northern Ireland, Nigeria, Sudan, etc.

Very interesting comment and very true.

Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union. Theresa May described the move as “very encouraging”.

Maybe it’s too soon to say ‘‘This shows that we can make Brexit work for Britain.’’ while the UK still an EU member cannot sign any deals at the moment and giving the fact that how few trade negotiators UK has can actually get the job done.

British police report over 6,000 hate crimes in month since Brexit vote | News | DW.COM | 22.07.2016

tisk tisk. very poor

This part of the article sums it up.nicely:

the very bad part is that the monthly average is 5000 reported crimes. thats 167 a day. so the level is high anyways. and consider that 80-90% never get reported so they dont show up in this statistic at all.

Yes, a lot of people do not report it…so the figures are lower…

Somehow after the Brexit vote, those racism & xenophobia think they have more than 17 million people agree with them.

Possibly, yes. There’s always been a lot of racism and xenophobia in the UK, though. It’s perhaps usually better concealed and less publicly expressed than at the moment.

This may be of interest:

It’s really too early, probably, to assess the long term economic implications of the pending Brexit? But it still seems to me that the various “institutions” (all those same ones who said, years ago, that our economy would be hugely damaged by not joining the Euro currency zone!), were busily forecasting doom and gloom before the vote, but many seem now to be changing their tune, don’t they?

The chaos and disruption they all threatened hasn’t materialised, anyway?

Osborne stupidly threatened an “emergency budget”, damaging mostly his own credibility.

The IMF projected a major UK recession, but has since retracted this prediction. Even its newly forecast GDP predictions don’t project a recession, and its 1-3 year forecast for the UK is higher than those it’s made for Germany, France and Italy.

I’d guess that the longer-term negative outcomes will probably come from within the Euro zone (e.g. the Italian banking crisis and various future referendums: an Italian referendum on whether to keep the Euro will be an interesting test for “ever closer political and fiscal union”?).

Some of these are interesting/informative/entertaining …

[B]UK economy booms following Brexit referendum vote | UK | News | Daily Express

UK property market: House prices rise nationwide following Brexit vote | UK | News | Daily Express

EU bank boss Mario Draghi says fears Brexit will damage economy are overblown | UK | News | Daily Express

So far, so good for the post-Brexit economy

Bank of England officials admit the British economy has not slowed down since Brexit | Daily Mail Online

Bank of England’s positive statement and less unemployment boosts Theresa May’s government* | Daily Mail Online

FTSE 100 smashes 6,700 and pound breaks $1.31 as Bank of England survey shows no clear evidence of sharp Brexit slowdown

Wells Fargo Said to Pay $397 Million for City of London Office - Bloomberg

Wells Fargo buys 33 Central London office for £300 million despite Brexit - Business Insider

Brexit reaction: Madison International Realty plans to spend £1 billion on London property - Business Insider[/B]

such things dont happen over night. those are long term “things”. long term like i remember the average wage of a german and a swiss were around equal in 1980 and now the difference is 100% in favour for average swiss person earning double the amount of an average german.

just like republic of ireland used to be the poorest member of the EU when it joined and now has a higher GDP/person then the UK.

economy, especially countrywise compared to other economies are things that are meassured in generations and not a month or two.

i aswell remember the GDP/person of UK beeing more then double of GDP/Person germany not even 30 years ago. now they are very close.

Recently I was asked how it is that the ROI was able to achieve such a recovery, the answer for me is simple … hard work.

The EU helped create the environment, the idea of an open economy set the tone, the notion of racism or what is termed nationalism are restraints that hold back the creation of wealth.

A commentator on national radio put a number on the amount of non Irish workers in our economy, it was just under 20%, take those away and the recovery story would likely be different.

Yet the strangest thing, so many Irish workers left in the downturn… this is the thinking behind free movement of people.

Yeah, shows the spin that politicians will put on any possible positive in a sea of negatives.

I don’t blame them, I hear the new trade minister has around 20 such agreements in his net (his spin).

Hmmm… being pragmatic I look for a time scale, so a trade agreement between Australia and it’s largest trading partner, ChAFTA, took almost…well suffice to say the negotiations started with much fanfare on May23rd 2005 and the resultant trade agreement came into force on Dec 20th 2015.

So if it takes 10 years to reach an agreement with your largest export partner …

Just reading the rest of the thread, the post Brexit links are mostly Journalistic, they were expecting a cliff fall, or so the hype was contrived.

The real fall out is now playing out, Eur/Gbp is the indicator (not cable as per the journalists)… a floor has been set and trade prices are being adjusted to reflect this reality.

The ‘emergency’ budget will come to pass, the problem is that govt borrowing, already too high, will have to go higher - let’s see what the market sets the costs for that.

Then the BOE will have to act, a lowering GDP coupled with increasing inflation (I kid you not, imagine a lowering of currency value for a net importer plus an increasing CRB).

Anyways, still to play out, all I can report is that the letters are still coming in to the effect that prices are set to increase, most guys buying and so setting the boom before the…

Yes Peter, I can concur that many businessmen I know have bern notified of price increases effective from 1st August, all roughly in the region of 8%. Some have added a caveat that they will review the situation later this year to see if further adjustments are needed.

Yep, 8% would be a fair average, the date is the beginning of the set up.

A buyer’s first thought is always whether price is likely to go lower or higher.

interesting opinion about future trade deals of someone who knows what hes talking about (no politician)

UK could clinch trade deal with EU within two years, says expert | Politics | The Guardian