Relevant Data

Hey Guys,

So when analyzing a 4hr or 1 hr chart how much data is relevant to a day trader (holding positions for max 1-3 days)?

Most platforms for a 4hr chart would give a month worths of data on the screen, is all of that valid for shorter term traders? i have been reading/hearing conflicting theories on this.

Personally, Iā€™d want at least 10 years data. This depends how serious you want to be within testing. Anything under a year though is no use to anyone, regardless of the trading approach.

Edit: sorry, are we talking about back testing? Or rather the data which you can actually fit on your screen in one go?

I [I][U]think[/U][/I] weā€™re talking about ā€œhow far back you need to look, to set up your charts for trading, e.g. how far back to look at levels of support and resistanceā€, arenā€™t we? :33:

On that basis ā€¦

Not sure, because I donā€™t trade that sort of time-frame. Maybe a month or a month and a half, together with a very generalised overview of a longer period than that?

Donā€™t take this as a ā€œreliable answerā€! Iā€™m guessing, to some extent, and opinions are surely going to vary, too.

But anyway my initial ā€œofferā€ is ā€œa month or a month and a halfā€, and letā€™s see who agrees/disagrees with it (my guess is that more people will think Iā€™ve [I]under[/I]estimated than that Iā€™ve [I]over[/I]estimated, but like everything else around here, thatā€™s going to depend on who replies, isnā€™t it? :wink: )

(Iā€™ve also assumed weā€™re talking about forex, here, not stocks/commodities etc.)

Hey guys,

Yeah my question was more for day to day analyzing to set up a trade rather than for back testing (although I appreciate the info for back testing, I am gonna need it soon)

For this question the reason for my asking is I am trying to understand how relevant is a month old or 2 month old trend/support level for a trade I am going to make today? (Short term trade on a 4hr chart)

Just like EMA is more recent data like 1week or 2 weeks more relevant?

Scenario: month long trend is down, but last week it has been going up. So should I consider a long or short position? I know ofc more goes into deciding which position to take, I am just trying to understand in this context. :grin:

No. :slight_smile:

(Again, Iā€™m guessing because I donā€™t do 1-3-day trades, but if I did, Iā€™d probably want the week-long and month-long trends to match, I think. Those would perhaps be my ā€œtwo higher time-framesā€ to confirm the trend, and give me a directional bias about which trades to be looking for.)

Overall, I think so, yes (just like more recent S/R tends to be more relevant, when youā€™re looking at S/R). There can be exceptions though (just as with S/R: a level very frequently touched/rejected, longer ago, [I]can[/I] still turn out to be more significant).

The kind of time-frames youā€™re looking at can involve ā€œfundamentalsā€, too, which is why Iā€™m slightly nervous of answering, because thatā€™s not exactly my [I]forte[/I]. :8:

As a rough and ready rule how about if your maximum ā€œlook-backā€ period is 6-12 times your maximum holding period? Thatā€™s about what I have - I hadnā€™t quantified this into numbers before but it seems right. I donā€™t trade for max 3 days, my max would be about 4 weeks, average 2 - and the data I want from charts is all within the last 6 months. That said, I use the 200EMA as a reference and that obviously is calculated from further back than 6mths, but Iā€™m not looking at the TA as such over 6mths ago.

Personally, I think trying to quantify by ā€˜timeā€™ is the wrong approach.

Price levels that are of importance are not justified by how recent they were formed, but more so if they have held ground.

If youā€™re asking this question because youā€™re trying to zone in on ā€˜what really mattersā€™ then I understand.

However, by zoning in too much you will miss the bigger picture.

If you are an intraday trader, I think data for the last month will be the best for identify the trend and place an order. However, itā€™s worth to mention that for taking the big picture of the currency you can have a look at long-term timeframes.