The 3 Duck's Trading System

No, Andy states that there is no optimal time to place a trade as the trade will be in the market for a full 24 hours. The open of the Asian market is just a very convenient time for me. I didn’t take him up on the phone call because of laziness and I likely moved on to try different things. The 3 Ducks isn’t a glamourous or ***y system…I thought that trading was supposed to be riveting and exciting. Bah…I found trading on the short time frames to be stressful and emotional. The 3 Ducks lays out a perfectly sound and repeatable method of placing trades. I’m very curious to see how it plays out over the coming weeks.

Ask him if you can take a rain check on the call & save it for further down the line when you might require either a comforting arm around the shoulder moment or confirmation of your filtering process, which seems to be a rather strange, yet common problem with most folks.

Take your time, even with something so simple in it’s application.
And do yourself a huge, huge favour…ignore everything & everyone else on here & focus completely on familiarising yourself with what this approach is encouraging you to do, & that is attempting to get in sync with the current dominant momentum.

Although it might seem as though it is, believe you me the grass is most definitely not greener elsewhere on the forum!

Spoof, I will be following your posts with interest. My story is almost exactly as yours. I took the advanced course 2 years ago but I didn’t follow it to the letter. I had some success but I never settled on a good exit strategy. I tried a few things but I never got comfortable. And I especially couldn’t follow the 24 hour rule.

I may decide to come back to trading the 3 Ducks at some point and follow the rules exactly.

Good luck.

The exit has also been my nemesis! Even now I am struggling a little to leave profit targets open as opposed to just setting a 30 pip TP - which I’ve been doing. I like the structure of the system whereby I just follow the rules to put the odds in my favour as best I can, set the trade and wait to see what the market hands over. I struggled a little bit to leave the charts alone for 24 hours but I just told myself that there is nothing I can do to change what the market is going to give me, I set my trade the best I can so just walk away and let the trade run. I was getting myself into huge trouble watching trades, moving stop losses and profit targets…got my ass handed to me with the emotional trading.

As I grow more comfortable in reading the pairs I will venture into a 50 pip SL with an open profit over the 24 hours to hopefully catch those amazing runs that happen. I think my biggest issue was always trying to catch the huge runs as opposed to being happy with grabbing a respectable and consistent profit on each trade.

I endeavor to post my weekly trading results on Friday afternoons for the benefit of fellow duck hunters.

Thanks for the advice, Shadowline…appreciated!

Howdy Clint and a Happy 2016 to you and the rest of the wise trend traders.

There’s probably about +50 different currency pairs out there you could trade/monitor. For my own sanity I normally stick to a basket of pairs that I’m familiar with - a few of the major pairs, a few commodity pairs and a few cross pairs. I tend not to look at the Usd.Chf seen as what happened in 2015 with the Swiss National Bank.

Do you need to be scanning +50 pairs a day? I wouldn’t think so, if there’s going to be a decent trending pair (a weak currency versus a strong currency) my thinking would that it will be showing on at least one of the pairs below.

Pairs I’d normally keep an eye on are:
Eur.Usd (major pair)
Gbp.Usd (major pair)
Usd.Jpy (major pair)

Aud.Usd (commodity currency)
Usd.Cad (commodity currency)

Eur.Gbp (cross pair)
Eur.Jpy (cross pair)

BTW if a trend trader fancies trading the Kiwi Dollar or another pair that isn’t on my list, no problem, every trader trades what they are familiar with :slight_smile:

Good trading for the week ahead guys,

Andy
Captain Currency

I am in a very similar situation to spoof. I had been trading the 3 ducks advanced with the small TP and SL. I made small but consistent profits. I saw I was missing out on huge moves so I changed to the bigger SL and made the most money I have ever made in one week but have not fared so well this week. In fact, I have given back a big portion of those profits. He says to judge performance at the end of the month, but I fear that if I wait that long, even with sound money management, my account will be at zero. I’m stuck between moving back to the system with small TP and SL or sticking to the bigger SL and hoping I catch a couple of trends soon…

It’s a *****, isn’t it? A small stop is fine if the price takes off in the direction of the trend and doesn’t bounce back until far away from the stop loss. I’m starting to wonder if there is more to placing a successful trade than just going off the slope of the SMA and all ducks lined up.

After this week (which is not off to a good start!) I will look at making sure that there is a trend established with the candles i.e. higher highs/lower lows type thing instead of just the slope of the SMA and the lined up ducks. I think I’m getting caught in too many ranging price periods even though the SMA is in a decent slope and the other ducks are confirming at the moment. The stop loss needs to be too far from entry some times and I am not going to risk 25% of my account LOL.

I couldn’t agree more. I am also looking at incorporating some price actions technique into the strategy. Although I am still in profit, I lost a lot of pips already this week so I’m going to try and change things up - I’m going to cut my position size in half and triple my stop loss but leave the TP open to see how things go. After reviewing some of the losing trades from last week, I realized that I lost because of a momentary spike in price after which price came right back down to break even or even profit in some cases. I think I will try to leave my positions open for anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. I will let you know how it goes. I have a really good feeling about this system but am definitely a bit scared after seeing how an entry that seems so perfect can lead to SL being hit time after time.

Yes, I think the system is sound with good guidelines to follow to keep emotions out of trading. It’s just a matter of fine tuning it and I think the stop loss is a very important part of that. I’d like to keep the system as simple as possible, which I think Andy’s intention is, and not get too many other indicators or such just causing confusion. I’m looking forward to see what you work out going forward.

I plan to continue to share my experiences, too. I set two trades his afternoon. One with a 50 pop SL and open profit target based on the apparent, current moves, and one with a 20 pip SL and 30 pip TP, again, based on the smaller moves the pair seems to be doing at the moment.

Maybe Andy could chime in with some advice or words of wisdom here?

I dun like what I am reading from the above. Seem that now you are revenge trading. Have you ever trade on demo first and achieve satisfactory results before trying it out with real money? B/O play require you to access the market before engaging in the trade. It can be like checking is the daily/weekly range fulfilled or 50% fulfilled at the time you place a trade. In addition, from my exp market will tend to retrace back after a NFP Friday like Monday trading.

You’re right. I did not end up doing that. I instead went over the trades from last week and did some analysis on what I’ve been seeing this week. A few of my orders did get filled last night but I am pretty much at break even for the day. I did see that most of the pairs that I trade are currently moving away from the trade but should hopefully resume the trend soon. I’m keeping a close eye on them and will hopefully make a lot of pips once they do finally move back in the direction of the trend I am following.

It looks like I would’ve made a ton of money off of the Swiss Franc using the system if I traded that pair. I am currently buying USD/CAD and waiting for a few other positions to be triggered such as a sell on NZD/USD.

My USD/ CAD position closed out at profit. My sell order has been triggered and is currently in profit.

I was hesitant on placing a trade on the USD/CAD given how oil price is wiffle waffling and that has implications on the CAD. How many pips did you grab? If I did place a trade I would have went with the 20.30 approach.

Makes sense. Since I had such a good week last week, I went ahead and placed the trade. I grabbed a quick 30 or so pips. I have a couple of positions open now with an open TP that are a couple hundred dollars in profit right now. I’m going to leave them alone and hopefully come back to those tomorrow to close them out then.

Good stuff. I have two trades set from yesterday that I haven’t looked at yet. Two more hours and I’ll open my charts for the trading day ahead!

You haven’t even peeked at the charts before the 24 hours? Your self restraint is admirable.

LOL…trying to follow Andy’s rules :wink: I was driving myself batty looking at charts all day which ultimately led me to over trade and second guess what ever system I was bouncing around with at the time. I welcome the idea of the “set and forget” approach.

I agree. I find this the hardest thing of all. I have to take a look at least twice a day. I sometimes wake up at night and take a peek haha.