What's so good about metatrader 4?

I do believe those other currencies are quite volatile. Personally, I�m not messing with them, but I�m looking forward to see how the behaves market on 2009

I agree with some of the posts here, the best thing about MT4 would be the fact that is so popular and a lot of different people can guide you along.

i just know mt4 even if i know there are lots more as Adelin said T-view Platinum, Core.view Options, those from my broker at least. if you�re scalping, I�d suggest you to trade with volatile currencies, if you�re lucky you may get lots of profits in less than minutes! If you don�t feel so lucky, just use one or two indicators. Jess

Yes, I guess that�s accurate, you could win big and fast with volatile currencies, but don�t forget the downside. Any strategies for the volatile?

markets and news and popularity are constantly in flux in the forex world. What is “volatile” today, is tomorrows kitty cat.

just watch

mp

I know what you mean. Sometimes we believe it is going to get worst and all of the sudden it becomes the best pair to trade when it was the most volatile one.

And I agree with you my way to learn about MT4 has been based on readings but also and comments clarifications and recommendations from the people that use it or have use it for a while. The bad point is that I�ve never tried any other one to compare why is it really as good as people affirm it is.:slight_smile:

GFT’s platform is pretty good. I personally use Tradestation but I think i’m going to be making the move to multicharts pretty soon (think of it as tradestation on crack with tons more features, and you can buy a license outright)…

But all of the above are leaps and bounds above MT4. Don’t get me wrong, for what it is (a free charting package essentially) it cannot be beat. But it lacks the robust features, ease of use, and functions of higher end packages.

For forex though its the most popular because it is free, and so people use it to learn and thats why you see a lot of MT4 specific development. But if you’re going to trade anything other than forex you won’t be using MT4.

Cheers!

I’ve got the chance to compare platforms just to test them by my own, and even though MT4 is pretty good I’ve come to find some other platforms. E-toro offers a nice platform, also Tradeview has T-view Platinum which offers excellent charting and Oanda as well has pretty good feed. So I have an account with different platforms to go further with my strategy. :smiley:

while its wonderful to see the many opinions given, with the reasons WHY people like certain features of certain platforms, understand that a platform is designed for you to enter and exit trades THE WAY YOU TRADE !

as a user of EFX and an MT4 broker, i use them for different purposes — the ECN’s, FXCM’s platform, Oanda and others DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO HEDGE or to go both long and short on the same currency, which would simply kill the way I trade. EFX allows me to sneak into trades, work with 5 digits or just set a whole day trade and walk away. Most of the olthers named do exactly the same thing, but with different interfaces !

what still remains for MT4 is the OUTRAGEOUS variety of custom indicators, auto trading robots (and some of them actually do nicely, btw) and gee gaws that can modify just about anything !

for a newb, simply CHOOSE one and work with it — as you grow and develop your OWN style and methods, you will see if the platform suits you or not and if not, search about for a new platform that MAY be better for you.

But to spend time trying to figure what you really dont know at the moment is a waste of time, better put to use simply learning how to trade, which is FAR more important than what color the buttons on your trading panel are !

more than likely you will not start with what you finally end up with, so simply START and go forward — no need to fumble around with things that are, essentially, not important !

enjoy and trade well

mp

[B][I]Within the great hall at Elfinore stands a wondrous coffer, precisely four cubits square and securely latched against the outside world. Inside that repository, shut away from impertinent eyes, abides many an intriquing trading secret garnered from around the world and over the ages !

As a child, i used to watch from the darkness as the secrets were debated and annotated by the elders. No one there held a single thought of my presence – BUT I KNOW WHERE THEY HID THE KEY !![/I][/B]

I�m also getting some differences from platforms and it is true facts as how fast it works and how many tools it provides us change depending brokers. There are also some differences once you get your live account, does anyone have some experience on this step?

LOL ---- YEAH !

once you go live, be REALLY REALLY CAREFUL cause that aint monopoly money you playing with.

but i certainly hope that if youre asking these questions, you do a whole lot more demoing with a demo WITH NO MORE THAN THE EQUITY you intend to use — DONT open a 50K account, think youre doing wonderfully and dash out to trade your 723.29 cause thats EXACTLY what the broker wants, which is YOUR money !!!

most MT4 brokers allow you to reset the demo amount WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD IT, or as was suggested, simply sell off your 50k till you reach the amount you will REALLY be starting with — that way youre being honest with yourself !

enjoy and trade well
mp

I guess every trader gets to realize how leverage may be misused, it can help you if know what you’re doing. When you go live you get to see that you need to invest only what you’re willing to lose. About the difference between live and demo I guess are determined by liquidity and execution.

What I find good on MT4 is the simplicity on its use, I mean I’ve got the chance to meet a lot of people starting up on Forex and they usually learn all the tools and basic stuff by demoing on MT4 I guess that’s why it is that popular.

WHEN the red sea parted and RETAIL traders were allowed into forex, there were very few trading platforms of any note ---- MT came along and convinced the brokers to license it, as only paid feeds and programs were the other choice — being free, cheapo capitalists took to it !

NOW there are others starting to challenge MT, but it should be around for quite some time yet !

mp

I like it for that too. You don’t get lost too long with MT4, most of the tools are pretty easy to find, use and customize. Plus, as it has been said here, there is a vast community of people using it. If you have a serious problem with MT4, you’ll get help whether it’d be from Google or from forums.

I also like MT4 though, there was a point where I realized it was just something I got used to. I started with it and I got used to it and never tried anything else. I am now taking the opportunity to check some other platforms such as e-toro, T-view platinum and some others. They’re nice too.

hey Joe, T view Platinum for Tradeviewforex? I�ve been checking it out it seems really good with many platforms and services offered. Are you getting some experience with them? Let us know how it is working to try them out

Its good, its free, its got gadzillions of programs, scripts, indicators and all forms of customization available and its been around “forever” !

it will take a phenominal effort to unseat it, because there aint nothing that comes close to what you can do with its charts, its EA’s, scripts or anything else !
mp

I�ve been trying some of those but I�ve realized are kind of risky. Especially those we can usually find online for free. I know how useful it is once you set one according to your strategies, I�ll learn basis about mql4 and set by my own