Why we need more (good) female traders

I would be curious to have facts

There are 2 sisters who used to post on here back in 2007-2010 running this series of threads 301 Moved Permanently
They both currently manage/co-manage teams trading large accounts for Middle Eastern & U.S based collective investment funds.

I met Jocelyn & a few of their colleagues for the 2nd time, 1 who regularly posts on this thread 301 Moved Permanently, last weekend & if the female trading population are anywhere near as switched on & smart as that girl then it’s little wonder women are as highly sought after & regarded in the trading/investment community.

She is one very impressive young lady, as by all accounts is her sister Tess.

Thanks for sharing that, Sketcher!!

Glad to see this thread is still alive!

Stopping by to say “hi” :slight_smile:

Why exactly do we need more good female traders? I mean I’m not some ***ist dude who wants men to continue dominating the field. It would be great to get more women into the business and I do believe they are getting into it.

But what exactly does it do for your trading? It won’t make you any better.

Less market crashes and black swans events? Nope, still gonna happen. In the end this business is about making money. That means the women will need to perform. During these types of events liquidity will dry up and it will be a losers game to stick around in the markets with money on the line. When the EURCHF peg was removed, if women dominated the field you think they would still stay in the market only lose money? Nope, they aren’t dumb.

And hell, don’t even get me started with the competition women have with each other. It’s even going on the first time they meet.

It would be great if more women entered the field. But what exactly is the point of this thread? To talk about women coming into the field?

The market doesn’t care if you are a female or a male trader. Both can be a winner or a losser. However, there are some traits and different perspective that a female trader ( the successful one) can contribute into the market place. Currently, more and more women are taking on male dominated field and also in a corporate executive role in a job market. It is just we rarely heard of them but they are out there. Maybe there are something that we can all learn from female traders in addition to of what we currently know now.

Here is the article that I contributed on this thread post #27
http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/64809-why-we-need-more-good-female-traders-3.html#post619981

Hello PipNRoll! I will e.mail you later today and catch up with your news.

For anyone reading this, it was PipNRoll who inspired me to open this thread and raise my own (and other people’s) awareness of ‘the female trader’. There is no other motive and I think that it is always worthwhile raising awareness of minority groups in trading as in other fields… So, for example, if someone here wanted to open a thread about African-American traders then it would be a learning experience for all of us.

I think you missed the point of the thread… Pipme was simply trying to bring out some of the good traits that are found in women e.g. risk aversion, multi-tasking, etc something all traders could benefit from and maybe if there were more female than male traders then 90% won’t fail and maybe this will encourage more traders to succeed.

So to answer the question, I think we need more female traders.

[QUOTE=“PipMeHappy;700178”]Hello PipNRoll! I will e.mail you later today and catch up with your news. For anyone reading this, it was PipNRoll who inspired me to open this thread and raise my own (and other people’s) awareness of ‘the female trader’. There is no other motive and I think that it is always worthwhile raising awareness of minority groups in trading as in other fields… So, for example, if someone here wanted to open a thread about African-American traders then it would be a learning experience for all of us.[/QUOTE]

Cool!

That’s a pretty interesting reason and I applaud you for that.

Good trading.

[QUOTE=“emeraldorc;700214”] I think you missed the point of the thread… Pipme was simply trying to bring out some of the good traits that are found in women e.g. risk aversion, multi-tasking, etc something all traders could benefit from and maybe if there were more female than male traders then 90% won’t fail and maybe this will encourage more traders to succeed. So to answer the question, I think we need more female traders.[/QUOTE]

I did miss the point of the thread, that’s why I asked what it was.

What exactly makes you think if more females were around, so many wanna-be traders wouldn’t lose? There will always be the minority dedicated traders who want to succeed and do whatever it takes, and there will always be the majority lazy ones who think it’s easy and they’ll be rich overnight. Being a male or female doesn’t change that.

There are quite a good amount of female traders/investors around actually. If they are supposedly better like you think they are why aren’t they dominating the field?

Sure we need more female traders. But being a male/female won’t change the fact that it’s how hard you work for it that makes you successful, not your ***.

Anyway, doesn’t really matter, we were talking from retail trader perspective…

In any case they are not dominating because as a professional trader myself and an analyst in a city brokerage, I can safely tell you it is chauvinistic in the City and in fact we have only 2 women in our firm and they are no push overs but people still make terrible jokes. Not to mention I am an ethnic Brit as you can see from my pic and I am not immune to some of the jokes,most people would be running towards law suits but I am so good at what I do (not to brag) so a joke stays a joke because they know I can best the smartest of them in there but it doesn’t stop them swinging those secular bats when they get a chance.

So like Pip say’s it was all about showing the good sides to minority groups. It is good you brought that out of the thread, so we can move on.

Emerald, thank you for posting this, they may swing their bats but there will come a time when they will lay them down.

When that time comes there will be many who will wish to learn from you - so, again, many thanks.

[QUOTE=“emeraldorc;700222”] Anyway, doesn’t really matter, we were talking from retail trader perspective… In any case they are not dominating because as a professional trader myself and an analyst in a city brokerage, I can safely tell you it is chauvinistic in the City and in fact we have only 2 women in our firm and they are no push overs but people still make terrible jokes. Not to mention I am an ethnic Brit as you can see from my pic and I am not immune to some of the jokes,most people would be running towards law suits but I am so good at what I do (not to brag) so a joke stays a joke because they know I can best the smartest of them in there but it doesn’t stop them swinging those secular bats when they get a chance. So like Pip say’s it was all about showing the good sides to minority groups. It is good you brought that out of the thread, so we can move on.[/QUOTE]

I agree it doesn’t really matter so I won’t go on debating with you or anything because actually I agree with you, but I will add in context to what I said earlier.

First of all, cool you worked in the city; you don’t have to explain to me how it works, been there done that and not just brokerage either. Of course, I’m based in the USA but it’s all the same crap. Women, sure lots of jokes made toward them. However, there are lots of jokes made towards males as well, especially the new ones who don’t know what they are doing. It’s a tough world but if you can’t handle it, they’ll tell you there’s the door feel free to use it. Once you prove yourself, what can they say except to hope to be as good as you one day.

The reason I added the women trader/investor part was because there ARE women running their own funds. There ARE women traders handling boat loads of cash under investment. If women are so much better than men, even in minority they should be dominating the top of their fields. But they aren’t, why? No guy told them no your a woman so you can’t make that trade. They decide their own trades.

Because *** does not matter! What matters is how committed you are to learning the business. What matters is how you handle each lesson the market gives you only to walk away better from it. Okay, maybe women are better at some things than men like multi-tasking and what not, but there are plenty of things men are better at too. Our brains might be wired differently, but what makes you good is improving what you aren’t good at while excelling at what you are good at. Women will need to put just as much work in as men to become good traders, no doubt about that. *** does not play a role in determining how good you will do in the trading business.

Now I’m not trying to against you, I’m explaining myself further and that is it. I do like the idea of this thread and all I wanted to do was get a clear reasoning of what the thread was for. Maybe I have a **** way of asking for some of the faint hearted here, but you’ve worked in the city so you should know how my ego is nothing compared to what can be seen out there.

Okay maybe instead of using the s e x word I should of said gender

Hello everyone!

I think that this thread has served its purpose, and I will let it slide down the

‘forum pit’ … until something worth adding to it may come my/your way, though

I would not want to keep it going for the sake of it!

Thanks for your contributions… Gender quotas and meritocracy should not be at odds,

but in debates they very often are: of course we want the best women to succeed,

but there is an issue of self-confidence that more women than men often have…

I was recently at a dance class, and as the only man I did what I could but it did

feel odd; I was once a trolley-boy for medical records in a hospital, and in this one office there were

just women, and I was very much looked at in obvious ways as I walked around, and that felt odd too;

these are just examples of what it is like to be in the minority, and we have all been in those situations,

so we can all sympathise with the ‘odd one out’ feeling that many women face as they dig their way to

the (often all-white, all-male) company top. The only difference is that the man in an all-female office

may not mind too much being stared at, but a woman in an all-male office being stared at may feel

threatened… So it is not simply a case of being in the minority, as women are not (historically) perceived

by men as a physical threat to their personal safety… When was the last time that you heard of a man

being raped by a woman or a group of women? Exactly. The bottom line is that aggressive behaviour from

men to women can take many forms, including ***ual violence, and it is a woman’s prerogative to guard

herself from getting into a situation that may lead to being attacked. So men need to understand this and

talk to lone women in all-male environments, to let them know that there is no threat, that they are

equal competitors, and that they will not be undermined on the basis of what they wear, of their looks,

etc. When a man fails a job, he fails because he failed at being good at that job; when a woman fails

at her job, she fails because she is a woman: that is how headlines seem to portray women in high

places who resign or fail at their job… as if to say: “Ha! It was bound to happen, because she is a woman”.

It is a complex issue: equality within difference… We do it all the time: we react to men and women

differently… A man with a suitcase that is too heavy to lift will never get as immediate and numerous

offers of help as a woman in that situation… This is just a simple example of the ‘lady in distress’ attitude

that we often adopt to women; women sometimes use this to shield themselves from aggression, but

it can work against their gender, as they will become always those in need of ‘help’. So that is why we

need threads like this: to celebrate strong, independent women who do not need ‘help’ but can actually

function as role models to those doubters out there who think they could never get to the top because

they are women.

Thanks everybody for all your comments! A great (and civilised) debate, though sadly very much

lacking female voices - which proves my point exactly!

Food for thought:

Women in high-tech jobs (e.g. programming / engineering)…

Glad you have continued posting.

It’s sad that women are treated that way. Women can’t program? Lol if a monkey can be trained to go to space why can’t women program? People can do anything, and as I keep saying, it takes studying, commitment, and experience. Gender plays no dominant role (and I’m supporting the females this time btw). ***ism should not exist especially in the work field, but sadly I don’t see it going away anytime soon.

I also do agree women should push themselves a lot more. It’s great that you think hey that’s unfair we can do these jobs just as well and all that, but does nothing and if you’re not going to go out and show the world that you can do it, then that by no means will help your cause.

Two different ways to look at it and both are just as equally important.

Good article

why do you need female trader ? you can find good male trader. i see the most trader is a male.

What does it mean?