10,000 Repiptitions

Ten thousand hours is the magic number of greatness. - Malcolm Gladwell

Hi everyone! Firstly, I’d like to say that in going through other peoples’ threads and seeing how helpful and supportive the members here are, it encouraged me to start my own trade journal too. So here I am, writing this to keep myself accountable to that magic number - whether it’s hours or trades, 10,000 of them are sure to get me somewhere!

Will do my best to update weekly.

The warm-up

• finished the school of pipsology
  • created a cheat sheet of chart patterns
  • read through trading systems, analysis articles, other peoples’ trading journals
  • analyzed the major pairs to practice reading charts
  • created a trading strategy

Now that I’m done warming up, it’s time to start training my form. No weights, just going through the motions (demo trading).

The workout (trading strategy)

Chart Analysis

• analyze all major pairs at weekly and daily timeframes on the weekend
  • technical analysis: trendlines, ranges, support/resistance levels, chart patterns, candlestick patterns
  • moving averages: price action bouncing off or breaking through
  • stochastic: look for divergence and use as confirmation of price action/technical analysis
  • use 4H chart for additional confirmation, and to place stops, entries and exits when necessary
  • because this is a skill to be developed I will be posting my analysis here, and cross-referencing it against more experienced traders who also post their analyses here

Charts
All major pairs - yup I said it, all of them!
Consider trading the new Strong Weak (SW) pair if technical analysis gives entry confirmation. Do not trade SW signal if more than 2 new top SW pairs in one week.

Time Frame
Use weekly chart as long-term trend and daily chart for trading
4H chart used as necessary for additional trend confirmation and to help place trades

Indicators
200 MA
100 MA
Stochastic (14,3,3)

Risk
Account size of $2000
Risk 1% account margin per trade
1.5:1 R:R or greater, ideally at least 2:1
Max 3 open trades

Entries
Wait for daily close as a confirmation of signal. Enter using stop orders set after market close to catch intraday movements
Let the market tell tell me what it’s doing. Don’t try to anticipate moves

Exits
Mental stop loss method: mark a line on the chart and if price closes beyond the line, get out
Introduce actual stop loss at breakeven when price moves 150 pips in the direction of the trade. Wait for daily close as a confirmation of signal (candlestick pattern, chart pattern, price action crosses through the moving average). Close trade when price action shows weakness. Use limit orders set when market is closed to catch intraday price movements.

This system doesn’t have such rigidly drawn rules as other trading systems designed for beginner traders, but let’s see how it goes. If I notice that my emotions are getting the best of me, or that I take obviously bad trades, I will tighten the leash and impose hard lines around entries, stop losses and take profits.
What do yous think?

4 Likes

EUR/USD Analysis

Weekly
Most recent full candlestick tested and closed above short-term trading range and 100 MA
Stochastic downtrending, showing bearish pressure

Daily
Both MAs are bearish
Price movement slowing down around 1.1500 handle
Yesterday chart printed a dragonfly doji and today a small indecision candle
Stochastic oversold

Look for price to fall below 1.1500 handle and close the week below the 100 MA. Daily close below 1.1432 (yesterday’s candle’s close) would confirm bearish continuation. Enter short upon confirmation. Next stop: 1.1400 then 1.1300 handles

If bullish, look for a daily close above 1.1500 and continuation up. Confirmed by daily Stochastic indicator crossing up and coming out of oversold area. Next stop: 1.1600 area with 100 MA just above, and 200 MA just above that.

EUR/AUD Analysis

Weekly
Strong bullish candle bouncing off 1.6000 major psychological mark and closing just above 1.6300
Stochastic crossing up just below overbought line, showing more room to buy

Daily
Price fell below 1.6200 handle and made a small indecision candle
Stochastic below overbought line and declining

Look for price to close above 1.6200 as bullish confirmation. Enter on that confirmation. Next stop: 1.6250 and then 1.6300.

If bearish, look for price to break below 1.6150 level and come down to retest the downtrend channel’s resistance turned support.

AUDUSD Analysis

Weekly
Price falling steadily, broke below 0.7100 level. This new low is lowest since Jan. '16
Stochastic hovering around oversold line

Daily
Price bounced off 0.7050 and is pulling back to 0.7100 level
Stochastic is oversold but climbing

Look for price to close below 0.7100 to confirm this is as far as the pullback goes. Enter on that confirmation.
Look for price to close above 0.7100 to confirm bullish pressure and pullback to 0.7150, or up to bearish trendline

Hello Danimated

You have the key - 10,000 repetitions, thousands
of hours of screen time, you start to notice things,

• and you’re taking a very systematic approach

just keep at it, you won’t fail

regards

2 Likes

Thanks Jerome! that warmed my fuzzies haha

it helps to hear that I’m on the right path

2 Likes

From the man himself! Every rep an opportunity to learn

Journal Update

Currently I’m playing the waiting game. Will update when I enter the market, but it hasn’t given me the green light just yet.

AUDUSD
Pulling back, enter when it resumes its downtrend.

EURAUD
Consolidating, looking for a break upside

Taking a look back at last week’s analysis of this pair, I realize I set my analysis way too tight. Price is ranging between 1.6150 and 1.6350. Price action has made a symmetrical triangle with the pullback in the past 3 days, and a close outside those trendlines could see price headed test the top or bottom of the range.

EURUSD
Between support at 1.1500 and resistance from 100 MA. Short if close below 1.1500

Journal Update - Rep 1 and 2

I’ve made my first two trades on this system (happy dance)

Short EURUSD at 1.1501 after it made a large bearish candle down to that level today. I realize there’s probably going to be some support at that level so I put my mental stop loss at 1.1640, just above the 100 SMA. Looking for price to come down to around the 1.3000 level, giving me 1.3:1 R:R on this trade.

Short EURAUD at 1.6152 after it broke downward through a symmetrical triangle it was forming. This trade is a good example where using a 4H chart is helpful for placing entries, stops and profit targets. My mental stop is just above the 1.6200 level, which is where the 100 and 200 SMAs are currently at on the 4H chart, and have recently acted as resistance. Looking for price to move down to 1.6000 level, giving me roughly a 3:1 R:R

Still waiting for the market to move on AUDUSD

I’ve added a 4H chart to my trading strategy for placing stops, entries, exits and additional confirmation

Journal Update

I started this thread thinking I was settled with my trading setup and trading plan but I guess I was wrong! I’ve just finished changing trading platforms and I think I’m settled for real this time.

I tried to build a system that was a precursor to the way I want to trade. I’ve decided to just trade the way I want future danimated to trade. That said, I’m out of the market and am starting on fresh demo accounts.

My edits to the trading plan will be:
Trade the major charts (no more FOMO for me) - although still only 3 open trades
Risk only 1% of my account - different trading platform allows me to trade custom lots!

1 Like