1D charts - Trend channels & Price Action

EUR/CAD PB forming that has retraced to 50% fib of last swing low-high (7 April - 12 April) and price is currently sitting aroung major long term support. Also had a PB on the weekly last week that tested these support levels. I’m thinking that there could be a break long that could go quite a way, although it would be a big trend reversal from the downtrend that began at the back end of last year.

If the PB on the daily had a longer tail i think i would enter this long term but as it is maybe a scalp for 60 - 70 pips to the level of the recent swing high.

Any Thoughts??:confused:

Hi im new to this,still learning in my demo account … just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance … ive been looking at GBP/NZD and there was a few pin bars on the 4hr chart indicating a move downward to the 38% Fib. Price has tested this level twice. Does this look like a good short trade ?

When I look for pin bars, I want them to “stick out” quite a bit from the previous price range. These GBPNZD 4H pins are placed inside ranging price action and there are a few inside bars in there too. To me this says more “indecision” than “reversal for sure”. I do agree that the current 4H bias is short.

They’re bouncing off of 2.17 which is a valid flip zone for price, currently acting as resistance, so the location isn’t all too shabby. And location is nr 1. Always.

The setup isn’t pretty enough for my personal criteria, but you’re on the right path! :slight_smile:

in my view PB has to be at the swing hi, lo. here it is not at swing low or high. also the long term trend is downwards, it takes lots of action to reverse it and we need a good confirmation for that. after this PB, if we see another big bullish bar then we can consider it for long.

till that time, i will only look for shorts here

Morning all,

I looked at EUR/CAD last week and even mentioned it on J16 to be told that i was going counter trend and a strong one at that.

No FX trades for me today, but just gone short spot WTI Light Crude Oil on the outside bar that just followed 2 inside bars

In which session are you trading?I mean do you trade in us session or the others?

I’m UK based so I look at the charts in the evening and first thing in the morning GMT - about 6 am.

It’s not a daytrading system so it doesn’t matter what session as I don’t trade anything lower than the daily charts for FX.

It’s a method that fits around my 9-5 and if/when I don’t have a 9-5 I still don’t want to be glued to a screen for all hours of the day.

“substantial profits from the FX markets with minimal time spent trading” is the key concept here - high $/h spent working and plenty of time to enjoy it.

That being said it’s important to manage the trade and get the stop to B/E (creating a risk free trade) ASAP while giving the trade room to breathe. This can be done with EA’s though in the event that it’s a nice sunny day outside and I don’t want to be stuck at a screen waiting to move my stop.

My broker has a nice iphone app for this as well :cool:

WTI Light Crude Oil T/P hit

R:R and M:M went out the window for this one as I had to trade $1/point :eek:

Might look further into commodities as that was a nice trade - would have been horrible if S/L was hit though.

well, after much consideration i decided not to enter the trades i mentioned yesterday, i felt that i was looking for set ups just because i wanted to be in a trade! Took a step back to review my entry decisions and i have come to the conclusion that i don’t have to be in a trade every single day, all i need to do is make sure i am in the really good A++ set ups!:smiley:

ddinnov, on your oil trade where did you set your s/l and what were your entry triggers? My commodities charts seem to lag by about 15 mins, no problem if just trading the daily chart but on the smaller time frames this could be a problem.

Staying out of the market is one of the hardest things I’m having to deal with right now.

For commodities I’m using the exact same methods for triggers, stops and T/P and trade management as for FX. Everything exactly the same just different symbols at the top of the chart. Although the margins and pip values are more scary. I think trading commodities with a small account isn’t that viable unless the stops are very tight.

Brent crude pin bar on 4H chart at swing high.

Stop sell order placed at break of pin bar and BRN (8700) @8695.

S/L - 8745 above the left eye of the pin whigh is where price is near now and I’m hoping it will stall and reverse back down to T/P 8640 which is the close of a recent gap and FTA.

Lots of space, nice looking pin, at swing high. 1D, 1W and 1M TFs are trending up so hoping for a small scalp here.

Price looks to be staying around the high area of the left eye of the pin bar at the moment…

Sounds nice but i can’t se the PB on my IGindex charts, which listing for brent crude are you using?

ddinnov - which broker / charts are you using ?

I attached in a chart - didn’t work out, think probably due to being against the trend. Order not triggered and cancelled.

Broker is GFT

Put in a buy stop for GBP/NZD @ 2.1810

BUOB, broken the 38.2 fib and nice space for clear run to 2.1900

Saw a “Ghous bar” (IBP) on WTI crude 4H so giving it a whirl :stuck_out_tongue:

Very close to being stopped out though…

IBP on crude didn’t work out.

Buy stop on GBP/NZD not triggered

Just took a short 50 pip scalp on NZD/JPY after double high higher close (trend continuation) on the daily chart. In fact it’s just a BEOB by 1 pip :stuck_out_tongue:

T/P FTA @ 65.50

NZD/JPY was stopped out at B/E

I really like commodities now. Will have some time on my hands next week so going to swing trade FX and day trade commodities on the 4H

Got some reading to to over the weekend!

ddinnov,

not had chance to take and trades or do any research today as very busy in the “day job”!

Keep us upto date with your commodities trades as this is an area i am keen to investigate when i have a little more time. J16 seemed to do very well trading these and if i am not mistaken it was on the 4hr and 1hr charts.

As i mentioned in the other post i could not see the set up you had on the brent crude through my brokers charts (igindex) Do you know if gft offer a demo account with the option of commodities?

Sorry for the late reply, yes GFT do offer a ton of commidities and indexes, interest rates, equities etc.

On the weekend I did a 50 trade backtest using the J16 method on the 4H gold chart going back a couple of years. Results were:

trades - 50
wins - 30
losses - 16
B/E - 4.

The B/E trades were when price took a while to get near the FTA then reversed back so I know I would have got my stop to B/E before it reversed.

Not quite the 90% win rates that some of the senior J16 guys are enjoying but by the end of the exercise I was getting really quite picky with trades :smiley:

Sub par set ups in traffic and tightly ranging markets were the reason for a lot of the losses.

I’ve got the bars down
I’ve pretty much got PPZ down
Space and swing points are key to good set ups, this is what I learnt.

It amazes me how many times I have to actually make a mistake before it sinks in- regardless of how many times I’ve been told something…

Next on the list:

Divergences
Inside bars :eek: