60 years later, the beginning of the new EU

The ‘no deal scenario’ is gathering momentum and is no longer viewed as a negotiating tool, chances are increasing weekly.

This Thurs UK will publish first segment of advice for business on what will change in no deal - e.g. taxes, etc - also what extra paperwork needed for EU trade (at present very little paperwork, not regarded as import/exports.)

Also UK will likely announce that EU citizens now in UK will retain present rights even though no such announcement from EU on UK citizens.

There could be talk of taking the moral high ground - reality is pressure from business to keep workforce.

Difficult to gauge market reaction as this leak is long since out.

One day later - the moral high ground duly claimed.

Latest update, another ‘cycle’ is now completed.

Price continued up from 8920 to 9100 this week.

Now the talk is of agreement rather than confrontation. The market will always buy agreement, but it’s still only talk so price is back to the beginning.

Lots of buyers exited midweek knowing that intensive talks were taking place today and the soundbites were positive, i.e. there was no name calling etc.

Anyways, Pres Trump heading over to this neck of woods in Nov so there you go, he is very welcome :slight_smile:

Edit: the Brexit trade is Eur/Gbp so when I speak of buyers I mean that cross.

Pres Trump trip called off, so there you go :slight_smile:

If trading GBP this week there will be some headlines later in the week re Salzburg.

There is a setup forming on Eur/Gbp - against most my previous posts - it’s GBP positive.

Many analysts have written off the UK PM as a lame duck, she’s neither, she made one mistake and has played a blinder ever since.

Salzburg will be the next stage, there will be GBP positive sound bites from the EU 27 and Chequers proposal will not be written off.

One of the leading anti EU members of government threw in the towel today when he said “a future prime minister could always choose to alter the relationship between Britain and the European Union.” (Michael Gove).

Likely the market will perceive this as a divergence from the stance taken by other anti EU MP’s who remain anti Chequers.

The EU 27 will seek to shape the Chequers proposal but very unlikely to reject it.

GBP positive - in the shorter term at least imo.

Yes I heard that !

[Well actually Radio 4 reported that he said "Chequers will do - for now ! " - without further amplification. ]

It was Gove whose despicable doublecross of ‘Boris’ was the spanner in the works. which allowed a “Bremainer” to become the pm in charge of ‘Brexit’ in the first place !

I am more than a little surprised that anyone listens to that particular ‘shape-shifter’ at all !

[Edit - Well actually - I suspect most don’t give him any credibility at all unless they are the ‘straw - clutchers’ desperate to overturn the will of the people ! ]

This is true, I used to think of him as one of the good guys, then his actions showed him as just another politician, a ittle like BJ.

Recently also had a bubble bust on Rees Mogg and his investment fund, but I suppose that’s politics.

Anyways, there some movement on Brexit this week, will become apparent soon I hope.

1 Like

My post at the start of this week - all went according to script, GBP even had a gain of 200 pips on USD by yesterday.

Old saying - ttbp (take the bloody profits) - the vibes were very negative Wed evening (probably helped GBP upwards Thurs, you have to take price up if you wish to sell it).

Bottom line is that cable has given back the 200 pips - and Eur/Gbp, the Brexit play, reflects the negativity.

As always, more to come.

1 Like

Thought provoking short film on FT

Wouldn’t be happy holding GBP’s - the risk is to the sell side - talk of more resignations from cabinet…

Hello, Peter

The three paragraphs quoted above, from your first post in this thread, came to mind when I recently read THIS SPEECH by Mojmír Hampl from the Czech National Bank, given in Copenhagen in September at a conference titled “Are we on the verge of a new Euro Crisis?”.

Here’s an excerpt:

The euro and political union

A stateless monetary union is inherently unstable. A currency is usually a consequence, not a cause, of the establishment of a state. In Europe, however, we began to build the “currency house” from the roof down, and then in 2008 everyone was very surprised at how the tiles flew off when the first wind appeared. Is there a prospect of a political union - a single European state - in the pipeline? Even if there is, do we want to be part of it? If the question is no, which would seem to be the case, thoughts of introducing the euro in the Czech Republic should, for that reason alone, be left on the back burner.

1 Like

Bright man ! :sunglasses:

One of three books I took on holiday to read ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Deception-European-survive-Referendum/dp/1472939662/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Of which, one of the more telling reviews said

[quote=“Amazon Reviewer,” ]
The only possible explanation of the stupidity of Britain’s governments of both Conservative and Labour is they were so deludedy wrong it became impossible for them to ever confess their guilt.[/quote]

Sadly I brought it back unopened - the other two being thoroughly read, but this one I hardly dare open ! - because it actually means so much for my children and grandchildren and I as an individual being so powerless to promote the “exit” that in some ways, I really don’t want to know the full horror of the consequences of being stuck in the “EU” - fortunately we in the UK are Not stuck with the “Euro” as yet.

Hi Clint,

It’s an interesting speech, thanks for the link.

I’d say that his last paragraph is spot on.

I’d disagree with his analysis on Bulgaria - the introduction of new entry criteria was a direct result of the Greece debacle of recent years, there is zero intention of ‘humiliation’ (often a term used by politicians more so than by bankers).

The conference title was almost identical to a CNN article of the previous month.

The largest ‘threat’ to the euro in their view was Spain and Italy, they saw the changes in the political map of those countries likely to cause some difficulties for the Euro - politics will most likely play a huge part in the near term, economics over the longer term.

For Ireland economics has played a larger role over the last few years post 2008, politicians played a role by facilitating the economics. Would the outcome have been as successful if Ireland had not been part of the EZ, I suppose we’ll never know.

Hi Falstaff,
You are right in that it is the younger generation that will most feel the effects of decisions being made and yet to be made in the Brexit debate.

I do have one prayer in all of this - that the decision makers will put that generation to the forefront of their minds.

There is much arguing and shouting by politicians this weekend and likely will intensify over the coming days and weeks, while that is happening I will intensify my prayer.

UK Brexit Minister Dominic Raab is making an unplanned visit to Brussels this pm to meet with Barnier etc. Talks are due to start in less than an hour’s time.

https://www.ft.com/content/d21103b2-...2-7574db66bcd5

If you have opportunity to set or adjust (or cancel) GBP and EUR orders and stops, don’t delay. There is no timetable for what’s happening right now but let’s imagine Raab flies home with some sort of agreement - it could be announced as soon as tonight.

Great, I think we have to sell the Pound then because Brexit won’t happen and Britain will stay in EU after second referendum

If that woman betrays the country, in the way which seems likely, then that is probably a good idea - second referendum or nay!

Mark my words, if she does, you will not see another Conservative Government in my lifetime ! and Uk under Corbyn looks like a great “short” !

Didn’t take them long to censor that link then ! :rofl:

Likely a bad link, it’s actually an old story, there was a ‘leak’ yesterday.

Robbins is the negotiator, Raab is the stamp.

The latest is that the 27 ambassadors have been summoned - only possible purpose is to have earliest sight of draft.

Rumour is that the draft is almost over the line, the difficulty surrounding the geographical area nearest to here (where I live, work and do business) seemingly remains unresolved.

Lots of voices tomorrow methinks.

Edit; the FT link fixed; (no need to subscribe, it’s old news all over the internet)
https://www.ft.com/content/d21103b2-cf98-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5

Update - no resolution on Irish border so no agreement.

Like I said on Friday - the risk is to the sell side on GBP for now.

1 Like

Uk PM over to Brussels this evening - expectations of a breakthrough are low, for that reason I’d be a little cautious.

There is talk of extending the transition period for a for a further year (i.e. until end of 2021) although nothing official yet.

Might work, we’ll see.