A breakout a day keeps the creditors away

OK, so I’ve been doing a lot of talk about back testing and optimizing and about this one bot that I have been working with. The reason to help develop ones own personal mechanical trading system. So here it is, Its call “BnB TurtleScalping”. I often refer to the turtles. In fact I’ll let Richard Dennis sum this up best:

"I always say that you could publish my trading rules in the newspaper and no one would follow them. The key is consistency and discipline. Almost anybody can make up a list of rules that are 80% as good as what we taught our people. What they couldn’t do is give them the confidence to stick to those rules even when things are going bad.”

Many thanks to Brian and his mastery!

What you will need
We are Trading the GBPUSD on the 5min chart. Set one up to your preferences.
Donchian Channel indicator, I have attached the indicator and template files.
A keen eye
Nerves of steel

Market and Chart Set-up
This system is designed for the GBPUSD exclusively on the 5min Chart. To your chart attached the Donchian channel indicator twice. We are going to to use one for the Upper Resistance Level and one for the Lower Support. Set one with period of 240 in the inputs tab, set in the colors tab the upper color to green (or whatever) and none for the lower color. That’s the upper resistance. To set the lower support set the period on the second indicator to 360, the lower color to red and the upper color to none. Or use the template I have provided.

Position size
We are going to to use a set percent risk of equity. The lot size will depend on which method you use to set your stop loss. What % equity you wish to use will depend on what type of risk your are will to take. For a medium risk level, use 3% equity. Your reward will be looking at doubling your money every 3 to 6 months and a maximum draw down of around 22% in a bad month.

Entry Conditions

Long Entry Rule

Enter long at the exact moment the price touches the upper resistance channel but only after the price has retraced by at least 25 pips from the upper channel prior to the current price wave up. I can’t stress that enough. The price must off retraced by at least 25 pips. What we are allowing is time fore the market to reset itself after our last trade. It principally prevents us from re-entering to soon after a win.

Short Entry Rule

Enter short at the exact moment the prices touches the lower support channel but only after the price has retraced 30 pips from the lower support channel prior to the current price wave down. Again that value is 30 pips.

Personally I like to wait to the last moment to enter a pending order. It means I stand a better chance of entering the market at a price I want and allows meet to tailor make the order to current market conditions.

Stop Loss

I have three versions of stop loss you can employ;

Simple Stop Loss

Set stop loss at 25 pips for long trades 30 for short. That’s it.

Intermediate Stop Loss.

For those familiar with ATR you can refer to the ATR on the 4 hour to determine stop loss value

Advance Stop Loss

Use price action or price patterns to determine your stop loss level.

As you become more familiar with the system you should notice a strong co-relation between the three methods and it will become second nature to determine your stop loss level.

Exit

Now this is where you need an eagle eye and nerves of steel. As the system names suggest we are trying to do is “Scalp” a few pips out of the market. What we are trying to take advantage off is the old 1-2 push. At a break out, the market either breaks through and continues pushing up strongly or retraces for a small period before pushing up again. These two push ups can be rapid and these are the conditions best suited for this system.

Rules for Exit

This is the same for long and short. Working in units of three pips, every time the price moves up through a unit, trail your stop by 1 pip. Examples. When your trade is in profit by 3 pips move your stop loss to trail by just 1 pip thus locking in 2 pips profit. If it pushes up to 6 pips again trail your stop by 1 so locking in 5 pips. If it push up 9 pips again trail your stop by 1 thus locking in 8 pips profit and so on. Most brokers don’t allow you to trail with such a small range so you probably need to learn to watch carefully by eye once the trade is on. And you’ll probably (no-will) only get one chance to get it right. This is where the blood rush will hit and greed take over. The urge to let the trade run. Don’t let it people. If it retraces to that stop loss level, get out! The secret to this system is that it usually spits out 1 to 3 trades a day and wins close to 90% of these trades. Most of those wins will only be two pips. But once your on trade and that trade pushes up, it can be very rapid, particularly around news times and profits of 8, 11, 14 … are possible and do happen on a regular basis. Now for some screen shots

This is an example of a long trade

Plenty of long opportunities here, but the price never retraces back inside the 25 pip mark. We will wait until it does before taking another long opportunity.

Here is an example of a short trade

Again, opportunities to go short but the price has not retraced back inside the 30 pip level so we will leave them alone. Patience.

And there you have it. And just like the original turtles, once you start using this system you will get very familiar with the moment of the GBPUSD pair and will be able to pick when to open or tighten your stop loss (opening gives the trade more chance to work but reduces return, tightening increases the chance of being stopped out but also the trade size so increasing the end return. And you’ll learn when to exit a trade and when to let it run a bit more. Follow the rules and you should see your balance double in about 6 months. Backtest suggest that is is possible to achieve 10% a week with this method. Thats handy

Donchian Channels.zip (11.8 KB)

How long have you been trading this method?
May I please ask how your risk of ruin table looks?

:slight_smile:

Bro, I have been testing this system since mid February. Have been using a bot to do the historical tests. Shows huge potential. In the final stages of forward testing now and if all goes well will start trading live manual trading with it at the beginning of June. Plan to keep a bit of a journal here ready for that date. Here are the back test results From Jan 2009 til end of April 2014. Have attached the full report.

BnBTurtleScalper Build 1 GBPUSD.zip (713 KB)

Enjoy.

p.s. See also this thread about my research processes http://forums.babypips.com/expert-advisors-automated-trading/65705-how-i-get-99-9-modelling-quality-mt4.html

I’ll be more interested when it’s been traded live for 6 months and real money is on the line.
No offense to you, that’s just my personal opinion and way I approach historical testing.

Understand completely Bro! This system won’t be for everyone, actually I personally don’t believe anyone will follow it. People just won’t be discipline enough to follow the rules. That’s why I have no problems sharing my system.

We have 2 news Holy Grail this week, love to hear that

Maybe I’ll re-title this thread the “undisciplined trader!”

So, always good to start the week of with a win. Here’s today’s trade.

Nice quick clean trade (the way we like them). Price broke the upper resistance level, pushed up (as it does). We followed closely with our stop.

Then, most importantly, we stuck to our rule and exited when the price showed that first sign of instability. Now we wait till the price retraces 25 pips from the upper resistance level before looking for our next trade. The discipline trader.

And here’s the chart now

Which way will it go? Could of held on made and extra 10 pips but that’s not what this system is about. Its about grabbing those pips during that very first initial push up or on the second leg of the old 1-2 push. Those of you who are clever enough will be able to take this system an evolve it even further. I have brought nothing new to the table here. Just a fresh perspective maybe.

And I’ll put my money where my mouth is. Its a couple of weeks ahead of schedule but I set up our bot on a live account. Pop over here and take a look. Error | Myfxbook. Please remember but I trade manually when I’m near the box and let my bot work when I’m not around. I also trade 3 other pairs. Finally, WARNING! back testing has demonstrated that this system can and will eat up 20 - 25% of your balance at times and within days. Don’t despair. Believe and trust in yourself. The system will recover by itself. Enjoy

Here we go. Today we had a short trade and it was quick. Conditions where right, the price had retrace 30 pips from the lower support level. We entered when the price touched.

The price continued to push down, at 3 pips profit we lock in 2 pips by moving our stop. The price push on to 5 pips but then started ti pull back to our stop and we exited. The disciplined trader.

As I have already stated, we are looking for those bigger break-outs that push though resistance and support levels. Here the conditions where not right, so triggering our stop and getting out was the right thing to do. Still made 0.65%. :slight_smile: My prediction, probably could have stayed on this trade, think the price will pull back to about 1.6820 before the bulls come back.

So while I slept, I let our bot monitor the market and what a busy time it had. Lets have a quick look

3 trades, 3 wins. Nothing spectacular

Trade 1 was our trade from yesterday, trade 2 was another short trade. If we had held on to trade 1 we would have made a few pips but that’s not how this particular system works. If we held onto the second trade we would of stopped out.

Trade 3 was a long. Perfect example of why we don’t hold the trade. We made a couple of pips, happy with that. Remember the turtles. They weren’t interested in chasing the glory trades. They knew that if they waited and followed the rules the bigger opportunities came to them. Big breakouts that yield double digits pips do happen but we don’t have to chase them. By following the rules ensures that we are in the market at the time they do happen. The rest of the time we just want to keep chipping away. Now I’m sure the guru’s would have been all over the 4th trade but we kept disciplined and stuck to ours. Still got 8 pips here :slight_smile:

But it’s not all smell-in like roses. As I said I have this bot on a basket of 4 pairs. Suffered 3 losses so basically our profit has been eaten up. That’s ok. This is why its called live - forward testing. That’s why I’m here to take control. This process could take three to six months. Maybe longer. Remember they’re called expert advisors not expert traders.

Hope we are all getting the hang of it