A Helpful Career To Be A Better Forex Trader?

Hello Baby Pips Community,

I am going into the finance industry (investment banking / eventually hedge fund, or this is the route I am thinking about doing). Maybe instead of the entry analyst role maybe a trading role would be better in sense it gives me experience etc. Would doing this help me be a better forex trader in the long term when forex trading becomes my full time job instead?

Thank You.

Most likely since forex is just MONEY

1 Like

My guess is “yes,” if you have the right qualifications to apply for such a position. But they’re usually very different from those normally needed for “entry analyst” positions, as you must know?

1 Like

Hmmm. :thinking: Yeah, I guess it could be more helpful for your future goal. :open_mouth: But I think you might have to show some sort of personal portfolio of results with a significant number of your past wins vs. losses. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Not normally, @ria_rose . Graduate trainees on trading floors are not usually expected to have any trading experience at all: they “just” need a Master’s degree in a mathematical subject and a top-level first degree in math from a top-level university, to get as far as being possibly considered for an interview. At a higher than “graduate trainee” level, it’s different, but then they typically need top references from a known financial institution where they trained.

“Personal”/“retail” trading history doesn’t get anyone an interview to be a trader in an investment bank nowadays: those days are long gone.

2 Likes

That’s interesting! :open_mouth: Thanks for correcting me @Pipsteroid. :open_mouth: I would think you would need to have some proof that you’re a capable trade before you’re given the position. :open_mouth: But understandable. Since a Master’s degree in a mathematical subject could be proof enough that you have your way with numbers and money. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

They mostly want to train people “their way” (and they all think “their way” is the best way, lol!) and if anything, many of them prefer highly mathematical people with no experience at all, because they’ll never have to “unlearn” anything and “can’t possibly have any bad habits”.

2 Likes

Hahaha. :sweat_smile: Tbh, that makes sense. I could imagine these companies to be looking for people who are like a blank canvas of some sort. :sweat_smile: But I’m curious since they’re supposedly trading other people’s money, wouldn’t these roles have some sort of quota they need to meet? :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry for having this discussion on your thready, sammy! :blush: I also got curious about the role and how it works. :sweat_smile: But Pipsteroid’s sharing pretty interesting things aligned to the question! :blush:

2 Likes

Find a role that allows you to expand your global macro fundamentals understanding. A hedge fund wouldn’t hurt either, if you can get in the door!

1 Like

If you will consider fores only for making money then it will be difficult to survive in the market, always learn properly all trading techniques and then enter in the market.

1 Like

Transitioning into a trading role can provide valuable experience and skills that can benefit your long-term career as a forex trader.

1 Like