A picture is worth

The face of true terror!

This is so cute

1 Like

My dorm room:

intresting pictures most of them are really funny

Saturn, photographed in natural color by the Hubble Space Telescope

If you love space photos, check out these two websites —

ESO - Top 100 Images — Top 100 space images from the European Southern Observatory

Top 100 Images | ESA/Hubble — Top 100 space images from the Hubble Space Telescope

Nice space pics.
And now for something completely different…
One of my many hobbies is building violins. Here is one that I am just about finished varnishing. Drying in the sun.

Wow. Mike Stradivarius. Who knew?

Nice work, Mike!

Thanks! I enjoy building things!

funny you should mention ole Strad. I actually have some varnish recipes that date back to his time… who knows maybe one of them is his secret formula! Now if I can just get some nitric acid without alerting homeland security!

more space pictures… Kepler telescope has discovered over 1,000 planets outside of Earth’s solar system… you humans are becoming less and less unique every day! Makes you wonder how long it will be until life is detected out there somewhere. Maybe even intelligent life… but then again sometimes I wonder if there’s much intellingent life here LOL
Extrapolating… there could be as many as 50 billion planets in the galaxy, 100 million of which may be in the habitable zone.

on the last picture, Had to do some editing. I put a green line roughly in the Kepler search area on an image of the whole galaxy and tried to get it close to scale.

Gamma ray burst, first detected March 28, 2011, aimed at us:

Images from NASA’s Swift satellite were combined in this UV/optical/X-ray view of the explosion,
which is known as GRB 110328A. The blast was detected in X-rays collected on March 28.
(Text: Space.com)

Here’s the article

Did black hole cause powerful star explosion? - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

That happened nearly 4 billion years ago and we are just now finding out about it because it took the light that long to get here. Just think, if something like that happened close enough… we would be incinerated! And oddly enough it could have already happened and we just don’t know it yet!

LOL

The question is, if/when it DOES happen, will we have a warning?

Or will it be the proverbial “out of nowhere” blast, and we all die blissfully unaware?

actually that’s easy to answer. We will have no warning. Gama rays are just short wave length light. and they travel at the speed of light. So we will know it when it hits us! Actually half the world would have warning because the gamma ray blast would hit one hemisphere and the other hemisphere would be shielded by the thickness of the Earth. Of course if the blast lasts for 24hrs… well hello extinction! :o :17:

the time machine aspect of space in kind of fun to think about. If you were an alien on a planet 2000 light years away with a good enough telescope you could watch Jesus walking around the middle east.
And somewhere out there… we are someone else’s cosmic microwave background radiation.

This image of a pair of interacting galaxies called Arp 273 was released to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope.
The distorted shape of the larger of the two galaxies shows signs of tidal interactions with the smaller of the two.
It is thought that the smaller galaxy has actually passed through the larger one.

Photo: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team. — Text: Hubble Heritage Team

Here is the article — PhotoBlog - A galactic rose for Hubble’s anniversary

Okay, somebody smarter than me tell me how this works…

Edit: Got it.

The devil is in the details… :smiley:

along those same lines, here is another good one!

It’s hard to believe that something that small can make such a difference!

That one actually made a bit more sense to me right off the bat.

It’s just a slightly more efficient way to use the same shapes in the same amount of space.

Cool!

Same shapes, but not the same amount of space.

In each arrangement, the perimeter is not a true triangle: the hypotenuse is bent slightly at the point where the red triangle touches the blue triangle. It’s bent inward in the upper arrangement, and it’s bent outward in the lower arrangement.

even though I know what’s happeing I still can’t believe what I’m seeing! I mean look at that first one, there is a long thin parallelogram along the length of the diagonal that is so thin you can’t see it, yet it’s area adds up to one square. but you cant see it!

here’s something that is not a visual but you guys may get a kick out of it. It’s a paradox. Suppose someone says to you " I have hypocondria"… Well do they? or don’t they? If they do have hypocondria then that means they are just imagining it and really don’t have it but if they don’t have it and think they do then they think they have something that they don’t so they do have hypocondria but if they do have it then they don’t have it… err umm…:eek: I think I have brain strain :56: