A record number of folks age 85 and older are working. Here’s what they’re doing

A peek at how OUR future will look like!

I personally don’t mind working until I die - as long as it’s something I enjoy doing!

2 Likes

This is the exact reason why I’m learning to trade, I want to do this for the rest of my life, not manual labour.

1 Like

Using my brain will keep me fresh. I don’t believe in retirement anyway - best is to be your own boss and take mini-retirements from time to time, then return to your work being recharged.

2 Likes

Amen, brother. Wish more people think the same way.

1 Like

exactly, it’s modern day slavery in my eyes. the 9 to 5 lifestyle isn’t for me at all. I’m just using it as a stepping stone to get to where I want to be

2 Likes

Oh My God! I am quite inspired by the resilience if the driver as he managed to drive the truck at the age of 87. I think some people are really blessed so that they become a motivation for the whole world. If they can work hard at that age then we have to work hard as well. Do you agree with me?

2 Likes

Yes, I’m with you! #noexcuses

This is what happens when you have near zero interest rates on savings, at the beginning of this century you could get 6% on a CD, had you saved $500,000 by retirement that 6% would have given you an income of $2500 a month without touching your principle combined with Social Security that would make for a nice retirement. But drop that 6% to just 1% and your income drops to $400 a month, and you are forced to take a job as a door greeter at Walmart.

Low interest rates are a big reason for the decline of the middle class in America, Ultra low interest rates do more harm than good

2 Likes

Good point.

Only good for taking on credit which gets people into larger debt.

A bit off topic but I just read somewhere that 38% of Gen Xers have $0 in savings. I think this older-people-working phenomenon might stay on EXCEPT with the popularity of automation… I don’t know how the future will look like for folks who are now in their 40s.

I am a babyboomer and just hoping this ponzi scheme holds together until I check out, But it is clear younger generations are being encouraged to take on debt and not save. I don’t see anyway this can end well

Same. I think we’re way overdue. Scary times ahead. Then again, maybe it won’t end. Maybe UBI will come to save people. Who knows.

I actually support UBI if done correctly, but it is not a cure all and does not fix the debt situation, and if we ever get to a point where the majority have UBI as their only income we will be like in the movie " Hunger Games"

Absolutely right! I agree with you mate.

Maybe they’ll do a debt forgiveness program if it gets really bad? RE: Hunger Games, that might be a bit too dystopian but also possible.