A young trader struggling, please help

Hey everybody. :cry:
I need help in forex. Perhaps a mentor. I trade on tradingview and mt4. Am I suppose to hold onto my trades for long on a small account. I had $50 in my account and I think I lost it all. I was trading GDP/USD. I keep doing market execution but I think I should place buy and limit orders. I am so tired of losing. Any advice would be most helpful.

Go to work and save up more money and do the babypips course. Come back when you’ve done this. Good luck

I am highschool level in the baby pips course. You’re right about the money though. I stopped a little after the highschool because there is so much information, I don’t know how anyone can memorize it. But I do use FXstreet for news and trade/chart analysis. It’s just that once I am in a trade, I profit but then I get too greedy and it screws up my account. :frowning: I had $40, made it to $60 and now well I did some stupid fomo trades and it screwed me up.

Yep, take my advice.

Ok, I will do it.

Ryan, while the BabyPips school gives you the basics of forex trading, it will not teach you how to trade. Setting up a new account will lead to the same result that you’ve experienced with this one.

What you need to do is formulate a trading strategy and account management rules and trade a demo account until you get to consistent profits month over month. You might need to try several strategies before you settle on one or two that you use consistently.

I suggest a demo account with OANDA since it behaves exactly the same as their real accounts. Just make sure that you treat the demo account as if it was a real account with your hard earned money in it. Set up the demo account to be funded at exactly the same amount of virtual money as your future real account would be funded with.

Post your strategies here in the forum or create a trading journal here. That way you can get feedback from the community. To your success!

3 Likes

This is the answer I needed. I legit don’t have a trading strategy. I can look at news, charts analysis all day, but without a solid strategy, I will just be trading blindly with no confidence. BabyPips is helpful don’t get me wrong but, with tons and tons of information shoved down my throat, I can’t remember a lot of the information, but I can read trading graphs and scout support and resistance zones. :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s much more to trading than drawing S/R lines. Yes the information provided in the BabyPips school is quite comprehensive but you need to understand all of it (with the exception of diagonal trend lines IMO). You don’t need to remember it all. I certainly don’t. But having gone through it all you will know what you need to memorize once you begin trading.

For example, if you place a stop loss order and find that the order has been cancelled when you wake up the next morning, you will know that you forgot to set the defaults to use GTC orders. This is a small detail but it can save you from incurring a huge loss. If you are not familiar with order types then you won’t know why your SL keeps disappearing on you every morning.

For anything new you learn you should strive to understand the domain parameters and know what is possible. Then utilize what you need at any particular point in your learning journey.

Trading is a skill that you develop over time as you put in the hours to learn and practice. Think of it as learning an instrument. You will not be able to play even a simple tune right off the bat. It requires dedication and practice. Trading is exactly like that with the added complexity of having your emotions playing havoc on you with every trade you make.

Buy things which are going to go up - Sell things which are going to go down :smiley:

If you can’t tell the difference ? - You are in the same boat as most on here ! :joy:

Practice, read, practice, read , get angry - learn, watch videos, practice, read -

Oh Welcome in By the way ! :smile:

Haha, :smile:
I knew it was an uptrend, I was trying to sell on the pullback. Now I know it is stupid to trade pullbacks. You use them for other trade opportunities.

Yes, ryanhyndman7. When an uptrend close near a rasistance level and formation any reversal pattern then I call a sell entry otherwise I wait for continuation signal.

I appreciate you’re new and inexperienced but your first words in this post draw out a truth concerned with trading and trader mentality.

We’re people of our times, we’re educated in a Western academic manner, and we accept scientific theory.

Our experience in the real world is that, like scientists or explorers or CSI, we look at the evidence and form a theory and then act on it. So in trading we might look at the chart (which is the “evidence” of what the market has done), select a theory (a trading “strategy” or maybe just an entry opportunity or maybe just a buy signal) and act on it (by buying or selling, or by setting buy or sell orders).

That is not the purpose or best use of TA.

Start with the strategy, not the TA. Then search for the TA which fits with your strategy. Then follow the rules of your strategy.

You have to know what the right answer will look like before you start the search or you will not know when you have found it.

Seems to me that looking at your screen you really did a lot of things you shouldn’t really do in the first place to make this all possible anyway. How can we get going with that matter anyway ? Do you or not ? Look for some YT videos how people trade GBP-USD today.