Academy of Financial Trading

I always have doubts about any thread here or elsewhere that is dominated by Newbies who only seem to have signed up to sing the praises of a broker/trainer/mentor/guru, in fact anyone who is charging money for their services. maybe Im just a sceptic, but it looks very suspicious to me.

On the other hand, if the thread was full of longstanding members of the forum singing its praises I’d be looking into it myself.

[I]“The only shortcut in forex is the shortcut to failure”[/I]

[QUOTE=“eddieb;710990”]I always have doubts about any thread here or elsewhere that is dominated by Newbies who only seem to have signed up to sing the praises of a broker/trainer/mentor/guru, in fact anyone who is charging money for their services. maybe Im just a sceptic, but it looks very suspicious to me. On the other hand, if the thread was full of longstanding members of the forum singing it praises I’d be looking into it myself.[/QUOTE]

Yea sorry but it’s money for old rope. A bit about candlesticks, support, resistance, always use a tight stop loss etc etc etc. Useless I’m afraid.

Gary

Gary

I’ve been learning trading on and off for the last 5 years. Their is a lot to learn!
I did the Ultimate Traders Course about 18 months ago and have been live trading for just over 12 months.
I have slowly become more and more profitable over the last 12 months
No way I could have got all this information for free.
I have scoured the web for 5 years to learn everything I can, and I can honestly say I’ve learnt more with the UTP in the first 3 months than I did in the past 5 years.
I ring them almost weekly and pester them. Their support has been fantastic.
So bottom line, you can get information for free, but it will take you 10 times longer to learn .
Having that high level of support is gold to me.
Thanks
Jacky

Yeah, I’m sure that’s true of a lot of systems. My experience of Academy of FT though - yes, they made sure we knew how candlesticks work, pretty fundamental need to know that. But there’s not much focus on support and resistance at all, and stops are chosen more dynamically and intelligently than just ‘tight’, in fact, they’re quite loose under certain conditions.

You’re presuming about a course whose content you know nothing about. Just because there’s lots of old rope around, doesn’t mean every rope is old by default…

Wow, thanks Jacky for signing up to make this post.
Care to share your myfxbook so we can see how well you’re doing before I decide whether to join or not?

[QUOTE=LearningEveryDay;711145]Yeah, I’m sure that’s true of a lot of systems. My experience of Academy of FT though - yes, they made sure we knew how candlesticks work, pretty fundamental need to know that. But there’s not much focus on support and resistance at all, and stops are chosen more dynamically and intelligently than just ‘tight’, in fact, they’re quite loose under certain conditions.

You’re presuming about a course whose content you know nothing about. Just because there’s lots of old rope around, doesn’t mean every rope is old by default…[/QUOTE}

Freedom of speech goes both ways. As I told you on Facebook with a very similar company I had to pick up the mess afterwards when the clients came crying back to the spread betting company. Congrats on your reply. I know that with you working for the Academy of Financial Trading they are truthfully better off than the IIFT ever were.

[QUOTE=“eddieb;711147”] Wow, thanks Jacky for signing up to make this post. Care to share your myfxbook so we can see how well you’re doing before I decide whether to join or not?[/QUOTE]

You’re getting the hang of it now Eddie :grinning:

[QUOTE=“eddieb;711147”] Wow, thanks Jacky for signing up to make this post. Care to share your myfxbook so we can see how well you’re doing before I decide whether to join or not?[/QUOTE]

:smile::smile::smile::smile:getting the hang of it now Eddie.

Gary

I hardly understand a word of your reply:

• as you told me on Facebook… Where and what?
  • I know that with you working for AcademyFT… as I stated, I took their course, I don’t work there?
  • what is IIFT?

[QUOTE=“LearningEveryDay;711248”] I hardly understand a word of your reply: - as you told me on Facebook… Where and what? - I know that with you working for AcademyFT… as I stated, I took their course, I don’t work there? - what is IIFT?[/QUOTE]

My mistake I thought you were either the guy from the Academy Of Financial Trading looking me up on LinkedIn or the one who contacted me on Facebook. Ireland is a small place. Apparently they are upset!

To answer, IIFT is the Irish Institute of Financial Trading and having worked for a spread betting company I had significant dealings with IIFT clients in Ireland.

Anyway I have no interest in stealing and then babysitting clients, the world is big enough for us all so I’ll end with that.

Gary

I thought you were either the guy from the Academy of Financial Trading looking me up on LinkedIn or the one who messaged me on Facebook. Ireland is a small place and I stood on some toes without thinking.

Well, I attended the course in February 2015. It costed about GBP800. I started trading with a demo account at first and I did make some really small profit. However, I lost focus due to me moving between countries. I did start again in April on the demo account and the profit was minimal again! So I went through the course work again just to make sure that I understood their techniques.

However, before the course in February I have been using the School here on this site so I started to get an idea on trading before attending. I must say that the Academy’s approach to trading is very mechanical!

So anyway, I have started trading live and it’s been going well (it’s been about 3 weeks). They provide an indicator so the trading is easy. However, I think part of the reason that the trading is going so well is that I have been combining it with the techniques I learnt at the school on this site. I have been using a lot of Elliott Wave and fib ratios. Also, the markets have been trending nicely in the past couple of weeks (I am sure that some of us here must have made some nice pips!!)!

The thing is that as a “newbie” it can be very overwhelming when starting off. One thing the Academy did teach me was to be strong psychologically (you can read that word everywhere but the way they put it made sense to me). Maybe their techniques might be available somewhere else and it could be free but the manner in which it was delivered by them made me feel comfortable as a “newbie”! It did give me confidence to look at other techniques and it also gave me a strong understanding of trading concepts early on.

The thing is that I have just started (live trading) using their techniques and maybe it will not work out! But I now have the confidence to face that and find something that works for me. As I mentioned earlier, I am combining other methods to theirs to sort off make something that’s working for me (or I hope it will!). In terms of support from the company, if you do reach out they will assist (or try to assist).

I am in no way endorsing the Academy in any manner! I am just saying that sometimes the path to profitable pips is different for everyone and maybe paying some company for initial knowledge (which could be free elsewhere) might be good in the long term for some “newbie”. Hindsight is 20/20 so maybe an experienced trader that chose a different path might just dismiss this path because he/she is profitable on their path they chose (hope I didn’t use the word “path” too many times in that sentence…!!).

I know that I spent GBP800 on the course and maybe their system is a scam. However, I did learn a lot from the “non-technical” material that was presented!

BTW, it does seem a bit suspicious that some that signed up in July is defending the academy so vigorously… just saying!!

Well, that’s my 2 cents. I would love to hear from someone that has been using the techniques for while!!

I have attended 2 Courses from the Academy of Financial Trading and I found both to be excellent.
What makes these courses great is the assistance that is received by the Account Managers.
After completing the Ultimate Trader’s Program Course I was in constant communication with my account manager who guided me through the world of trading and also help set a portfolio up for me.
One of the 1st things that I have learned from the Academy is “Risk Management” and this helps limiting your loss on an unsuccessful trade.

At one point my portfolio was not growing as it should be and my Account Manager offered me a 1 on 1 session to rectify that and now I am seeing good gains.
I have been trading on a Demo account for the last 3 months(about to go on a live account soon) and my demo account is up almost 10% in the last 3 months.

My suggestion would be to do the course then master the strategy on a demo account for a couple of months and once you are able to see profits then move to a live account.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you’ve learnt nothing that you couldn’t learn for free right here.
10% growth on a demo account in 3 months is nothing to get excited about, come back when you’ve traded live with consistent success.
Good luck with your trading, but keep your feet on the ground

Hi,

I found your posts interesting especially as I am thinking of embarking on the UTP after having completed the FTP. I was therefore wondering if, for the sake of my decision-making and other readers, if you could qualify the above statement with some references to the reading material you have found to be just at beneficial as the Academy of Financial Trading. I think this might be useful for people in my boat when trying to decide whether to commit this kind of money or not.

Thanks.

Drew.

I think actively learning, searching, reading, trawling for information and studying are going to teach you a great deal as it takes a lot of time and commitment to learn anything properly. Being taught however, you will only learn what is given to you.

take your time and read and challenge everything you learn. a quick google search on trading books will soon highlight a few good ones to really spend some time on.

one of my favorite books is Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas

good luck

Good morning and greetings from Ireland,

I felt the need to reply to this thread to give my experience of this course.

First off, I am Irish and love to support anything and anyone Irish but not this company/institution Im afraid.
My wife bought this for me as a voucher for 20 euro I think and all I can think now looking back is that I would hate so much to have paid the full amount!!

The material is basic, there is a lot of sales pitching and the presenter guy really drags out each lesson with little or no interaction allowed directly. The amount of material covered is quite limited and they are just the basic concepts which could be read from a book or online. What others have said here is true, you would find everything for free here and in many other places, just not worth the money.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against them as people or a company and I don’t attribute any failure on my part towards them. Again, it comes down to each person making good research before throwing their money in someone’s wallet.

I really wish you all the best in learning to trade. It is a journey…longer for some. But you’ll find your groove.

How you get there is by reading and learning (from here in the better threads, from the school section and also many other reputable online resources), practising safely in the market (on demo or small account), finding out what works and what doesn’t for you personally and applying it consistently. KISS really is an underused term for trading. Keep it simple, makes everything easier. Anyway…I’m rambling.

Have a great Sunday,

Padraic

Hi Kilmarnock sorry to hear of your circumstances regarding the UTP course run by Academy Of Financial Trading , i myself have been on the UTP course and i am running the Indicator software which i find very good. It is not difficult to use , the back up support is amazing i find ,ask a question and its answered with either an email or phone call.
I ran the software with a practice account as instructed , this was invaluable to me as i started to see it works if followed correctly. If you don’t follow the strict guidelines then you are not running the software correctly i found. you will have found yourself entering trades when you maybe shouldn’t have etc.
I think quotes like “[B] I would avoid this company like the plague [/B]” are in appropriate until you have been through all the trades that you lost on and quantified weather those trades should have even taken place etc.
i understand everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you are telling others its not good then i feel it should be backed up with actual facts. SO TO REITERATE MYSELF I FEEL ITS A GREAT PRODUCT WITH GREAT SERVICE AND A BACK UP TEAM TO COACH YOU ALONG THE WAY THAT IS SECOND TO NONE.
I hope no offence is taken as none is meant but i just read the post and though, i find that a bit unfair and unsubstantiated to AFT and others who may be thinking of taking up the course.
my view is do it , it great and i am certainly not disappointed and im sure you will not be . but try it for yourself and see what you think.

The owners of Academyft also the beneficial owners of the brokerage pipindex and encouraged all their clients to open their trading accounts here. This has only recently been disclosed online but has always been the case. The reasons for keeping this quiet will become obvious when you read through this post.

The brokerage in question (Pipindex) is a trading name of Finsa Europe. Finsa Europe runs the dealing desks for its white label partners (pipindex) and offers these partners 50% of all client losses. A shared B book arrangement.

PipIndex themselves claim they only make commission from client trades but if this had any ounce of truth to it they would be dealing directly with liquidity providers (A true STP) and not through Finsa Europe who manages the risk on a dealing desk.

Any Broker with a dealing desk (Inhouse or External (through FINSA)) is managing the client risk as a B Book Broker and makes its money from losing traders not through spreads or commissions.

The target market for this type of arrangement is newbie traders. $20 courses through Groupon are ideal for complete novices. The trading losses from these newbies are split between Finsa Europe and PipIndex. On average 95%+ of these clients will lose part or all of their trading account with the average loss in the region of $3,000.

So, If clients lose money through pipindex based on the education/signal software from academyft it seems that those same clients would have a very strong case to sue this company to recover their trading losses based on the non-disclosure of the relationship between the two companies and the business model on how they make their money.

Maybe “Avoid like the Plague” is more appropriate based on this information.

Is there anyone who has used the system for a while and is willing to share his experience with some sort of proof? I have see both sides strongly defending and opposing.