AlphaHavoc vs. The 400K FTMO Beast: A Trader's Tale

Yesterday, November 15, 2023, there was a 10% discount on newly purchased FTMO live challenge accounts. Seizing this opportunity, I bought two FTMO 200K swing challenge accounts, instead of waiting until December 18, 2023, when my year-end salary bonus is due.

I plan to start the challenge this coming Monday. Currently, I’m mentally reviewing the do’s and don’ts.

The first aspect on my mind is money management. From previous experiences, poor money management was the key reason for my setbacks. As a starting measure, I will set a maximum weekly loss of $2500 for each $200k account, which translates to an average permissible loss of about $500 per day. My strategy involves maintaining a risk-reward ratio of at least 1:1, aiming for a win rate over 60%. I plan to engage in intraday position trading, scalping, averaging, and hedging, depending on market dynamics and situations. I intend to allow considerable flexibility in execution, guided by my personal judgment.

Secondly, regarding trade execution, I will analyse a substantial number of similar setups to estimate the success probability before entering any trade. I will proceed with a trade only if the success likelihood is high. To gauge my profitability, I will use the expectation formula:

[ (probability of win) × (amount won) ] - [ (probability of loss) × (amount lost) ]

This will also serve as a reminder of the expected value per trade, keeping me focused on the end goal and not get distracted by short-term losses. My focus will be on minimizing the risk of ruin while maximizing ROI.

Another thought is to envision my trading as having 25 arrows. After taking 25 shots at a target, I will assess how many hit the bullseye. Ideally, more than 60% of my shots should hit the bullseye. Therefore, with a hit rate of 60% and a risk-reward ratio of at least 1:1, I should be able to comply with the trading objectives, especially since there is no 30-day time limit to pass the challenge.

1f5c3c058cd76feeddbeea7870e8a4df

Lastly, if I were managing a real FTMO account, the end goal would be to achieve at least a 10% gain in four months, qualifying for the 25% account balance upscale plan. This requires a monthly gain of 2.5%, equivalent to $5000. Therefore, setting a weekly target of $2500 would be relatively sound and reasonable.

11 Likes

i know i speak for many of us in wishing you very well with this

take care, go slowly, and good luck!! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Good luck in your endeavour! :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m rooting for you!!!

2 Likes

FTMO 200K Challenge Account 1

FTMO 200K Challenge Account 2

2 Likes

22 NOV 2023

0638HR SGT

On my way to work . . .

0717HR SGT
Breakfast

I Sell EURJPY

1125HR SGT

I Sell AUDUSD

I Sell EURJPY

5 Likes

23 Nov 2023

0731 HR SGT

Yesterday, I was on standby and activated after office hour to work overtime at the hospital for three exigencies. This resulted in me staying overnight at the hospital with little rest. Today, I chose to approach trading from a long-term perspective, planning to average out my position if necessary. I don’t intend to continuously monitor the charts, opting instead for periodic checks on my positions. After reviewing the strong-weak analysis by Dennis, I decided to BUY AUDUSD and GBPJPY on my two separate FTMO accounts respectively.

GBPJPY

AUDUSD

0955HR SGT

Brunch Time

1911HR SGT

Activation on a rainy day, on the way to work after office hours . . .

2226HR SGT

Late night supper after one emergency case.

Curry Chicken rice

2236HR SGT

Selfie at my workplace

7 Likes

24 NOV 2023

1024HR SGT

Early Brunch while watching chinese ancient drama

1112 HR SGT

Buy stop order for NZDUSD

Buy stop order for AUDCAD

2 Likes

26 Nov 2023
0707HR SGT

After completing my first week of trading with FTMO, I’ve observed that setting a weekly loss limit of $2,500 isn’t quite practical for my trading style. There are instances where I need to allow for a larger drawdown. This typically happens when I overextend myself by EXCESSIVELY averaging my positions. It’s important for me to exercise more RESTRAINT in this area. I want to clarify that this approach isn’t a form of revenge trading, since i already had the intention to average from the start; it’s a deliberate strategy where I average my positions with a pre-defined ultimate stop-loss or target support/resistance levels in mind. By doing this at the right times, I aim to effectively mitigate the risk associated with drawdowns.

1st account

2nd account

My win rate is quite unstable, barely maintaining above 50% overall. I really must focus on being more PATIENT, and waiting for more optimal setups to improve this.

5 Likes

I’m absolutely certain this is exactly right!! :slight_smile:

I agree with all that, too. But why not go more slowly and use smaller position-sizes at the outset, rather than allowing larger drawdowns?

5 Likes

Does FTMO allow US clients? I thought I saw something about them leaving the US because regulation.