American Citizen Abroad

Hello Jason,

In another forum i saw you post this -

While FXCM offers CFD products like JPN225 to non-US residents, CFTC regulations prohibit any broker from offering CFDs to US traders.

Note that this restriction is based on US residency, not US citizenship. If you are a US citizen living abroad, you can open a trading account with FXCM’s UK entity to trade CFDs like JPN225 when you provide us with your proof of residence outside the US. However, if you live in the US (even if you are not a US citizen) then CFTC regulations prohibit us from offering you CFD trading.

I would like to clarify this issue here if you don’t mind. If I am an American citizen but live in Thailand and can prove this with a utility bill for my Bangkok address, will I be able to open a UK FXCM account from UK Forex Trading - Currency Trading - FXCM and trade all products including forex, CFDs, and spread betting? I am especially interested in trading the FTSE 100 as it is more convenient for my time zone.

thanks, especially if this is true!

Welcome to the forum, Casper :slight_smile:

Since you live in Bangkok and can provide proof of your residence there, you can open an account with FXCM UK. This will allow you to trade CFDs (international shares, stock indices, metals and energy products) in addition to forex.

However, spread betting is only available to residents of the UK and Ireland. Trading a spread betting account is the same as forex trading, but because of the UK spread betting tax code, UK and Ireland traders enjoy tax-free trading.

So are you there on some kind of visa?