Any metatrader backtesting tutorial?

hi all
i’m fairly new to trading, and this includes metatrader platform. I’m currently using mt5 (not sure what is the difference from mt4) and i’m ok with the basic functions of it to buy/sell and setting up stops etc.

i wish to backtest some priceactions patterns which i have found some scanners which are addon/downloads for the MT4/5 but i have no idea how to use them.

anyplace where I can read about how to install and use these backtesting methods? I’ve searched some videos on youtube but not sure they’re talking about the same thing

thanks

Hi @Shinkai, I do it the manual way. It takes much longer and more effort but it gives me more confidence in my setup. I will also encounter situations which I would otherwise not thought of at all. But this is workable only if your entry and exit strategies aren’t too complex.

You mentioned scanners. I suppose they give you trade signals based on certain price actions. So if you have no idea how those signals are being setup, it may be better not to use them.

Like someone said it… There’s a million ways to make a million dollars. :wink:

Hi,
+1 for using other bactesting methods.

As for me, the most suitable is to use Forex Tester, special backtesting software that looks like MT but operates independently. It has the possibility either to watch the trade candle by candle or just shows you final result.
You can also try to backtest with Tradingview built-in tester, but I have no idea how it works. FT is the most comfortable solution for me, but you could make youe own research and find something that would be perfect for your personal purposes.