Anybody doing any side hustles to make money online (aside from trading?)

Although trading is my number one way to bring in income, I also joined up and became an ambassador for a product recently after they reached out to me to sell because of some weight loss photos I posted. Another quick money making source I found is a coupon app and I’ve managed to make and withdraw about $200 over a period of time doing that. Anybody else have any side hustles going on? I’d love to get some new ideas or just to know other ways to make money online!

4 Likes

Hi @HeavenRobinson,
Well done you for the $200 coupon initiative. I have recently returned to an interest I had over a decade ago in UK property investment. Around 2007 I attended a special course in London about lease/purchase options, paid £2K for a “how to do it” manual and did about 4 deals before the 2008 financial crash happened. Very recently, I have partnered up with a guy about 12,000 miles away seeking “alternative property investment in the UK”, so we have been working together - I have the mentorship, he has the funds to invest. It looks like we will be doing our first deal in June or July, so I am very excited to bring this knowledge out from the cloud storage, dust it off and contact the same “A team” I was using nearly 15 years ago now.
The reason I am doing this is because I think the UK market has returned to its last 1999 - 2007 cycle, where gazumping is again commonplace, and people may be getting blasé again about “the real value of money”.
So I am on the lookout for specific sale use cases trying to identify “motivated sellers” and these could be separations, divorcees, probate, emigration, debt arrears requiring urgent mitigation, recent changes in health or employment status. Happy to pay finders fees on a case by case basis - realistically between 1% to 2% of purchase price.

This is a “England and Wales” only requirement, not global. I have just calculated that one of our let properties whose income is £540 per month would require a 39% rent increase to bring it to “market rent”. Instead of approaching the tenant with that kind of bad news, I am working on a lease/purchase business case instead. I suspect that electricity and gas are only one of a few nasty surprises in store for most of us soon. My mortgage payments have gone up 3 time in 4 months - and if they keep squeezing, the pips will be flying out soon

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a good plan! I’ve also always been interested in real estate but since I’m located in the United States, the real estate market has been a nightmare lately, so it doesn’t seem worth getting into at the moment. A lot of younger people are choosing to live with their parents or to invest in sheds or other alternative properties right now. A popular one of those is about $500 a month and they usually buy property and upgrade it. I’m lucky enough to have my mortgage locked in price.
Wishing you the best of luck with your side hustle!

Hi,
Each country has its own “rules” or norms when it comes to property. I know a little about US property but not nearly enough to participate in it. I know a little about Australian property laws and tax incentives that have caused a huge (false) increase in values from “investors” effectively being able to write off any losses in property from their earned income taxes. A bubble that will probably burst in spectacular fashion.

For the UK there is an interesting set of “comparative positives” that for overseas investors that I last participated in around 1996. I was overseas earning fees in USD. The UK property market tanked by 30% but at the same time the UK currency also tanked by 20%. So in dollar terms (and we were banked in USD in Switzerland), it was a 50% decline. So we bought our first let property in the UK - a seven bedroom multi-let one mile distant from Kings College Cambridge. Timing is everything. Sold it four years later for a 60% gain.

1 Like

You’ve got what it takes to be a freelance writer like Alex:

or a copywriter like Alex:

Try these side hustles to see if you like them. Godspeed!

1 Like

Here are some side hustles I know people are doing:

Managing social media accounts of your local restaurants if you’re social media savvy! I know a girl who makes $20/hr doing this. Then again she has to deal with Tiktok and all that lol.

This same girl also does dog sitting on the side! Girl be collecting side hustles.

I have another friend who to this day collects about $1,000 in straight passive income from an MLM company she used to be active in. It’s a makeup company I believe.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve considered doing TikToks, but just haven’t gotten into it yet. I saw that it takes about 10,000 followers to get added to the creator fund, but you also need a lot of likes (around a million I think). Might be worth checking out in more detail!

I write short stories. I found a publisher that likes my work and they publish on their site as well as others like Barnes and Noble (big bookseller in the USA). I have only had a few published so far but the more that get out there the more money I can make per month.

2 Likes

Love that idea. I’ve been working with my mom on a book to sell at a specific store she works at, but I also love the idea of doing short stories.

1 Like

The advantage with short stories is you can knock out a couple per month if you work at it so you start to get money coming in quickly. The downside is that you only get about $1 per sale and sometimes even less. Find a publisher that deals with your genre and takes a percentage and does not charge you to publish your stories as they have an interest in promoting your work.

1 Like

I have a friend who has about 15k followers on Instagram. She gets about $800-$1,000/month for sponsored brand deals. Not passive though unfortunately since it requires active pitching and also taking pics and writing captions that pass the brands’ standards.

1 Like

Yes indeed, trade is just one of the many side hustles that people engage in to make money online. However, trade is not for everyone because in order to trade you need to be very good in your field. But if you are not trading, then you should know that there are many legit opportunities to make money online. You can sell your products or services online, or even offer your skills online in the form of freelance jobs. The internet is a great place to make money and the opportunities are endless; I hope you enjoy your journey to making money online.

2 Likes

I used to write filler articles for trade journals (light-hearted or diverting side articles loosely associated with the trade in question but not requiring an insiders knowledge). I got paid £100 - £200 per article and could knock one out in 3-4 hours, but didn’t keep it up after I had kids as got too time-consuming and I started drinking alcohol in the evenings instead of knocking out articles!! Much more relaxing :rofl:

But, I have a day-job and trading is my side hustle now.

1 Like

I don’t blame you one bit, I usually feel drained once I get my kids into bed at night :joy: I’m just trying to use my time more productively during the day.

I feel you lol. How did you manage to find these jobs? Asking for a friend lol

Choose a target journal(s) (i wrote for medical joirnals). See if they have writing competitions. Otherwise send pitches to the editor for arrticle ideas you think would entertain the audience. If all else fails then write something good and send it in (they all say they don’t accept unsolicited articles, but theyall do if they like it enough!

2 Likes

Did writing for medical journals require any medical background?

1 Like

No but wife a dr so got used to browsing through her journals!

1 Like

I have a small business as well.

1 Like