Anybody have success trading the Asian session open?

I like to sleep so some days I just miss all the action of the London and NY sessions, at least the overlap. I know it’s where lots of trading happens.

But I got to believe that Asia also trades and UK and London and everybody in between Asia also trades the Asian session open.

So why not for us traders in the US able to trade in the evening? I’m usually around the computer at 7PM.

Anybody trading it with success? Is the volume in London and NY just that much bigger?

Speaking of, the session is moving nicely. NZDUSD and AUDUSD are moving! I think some China data came out way better than expected.

1 Like

I usually trade with Asian session but it doesn’t have much movement like London and NY session. It’s not too bad if you’re happy with scalping strategy like opening a trade and let it run in minutes or hours then take profit because the price usually change its direction when London session starts.

1 Like

While trading indices on the 5m-chart, I made the observation that asian session often moves slow and steady in one direction or has a very clear range. i often see nice trades in hindsight. because asian session is in the middle of the night for me, i did not yet try to trade it, but it is on my list of things i might try in the future.

Biggest disadvantage is the high spread for me.

2 Likes

Spread is a major drawback at this time of the 24hr trading day. I note that the usual 1 pip spread on e.g. GBP/USD from my broker goes out to 7-12 pips after New York closes. Makes trading or even holding short-term stuff overnight a lottery.

2 Likes

Maybe u should find a better broker, Asia session can give good spreads but not before 3 o clock German time :smiley:

Well i didn’t say that trading asian session is completely off the table because of high spread. But in addiition to working in the middle of the night, the higher spread is no doubt a disadvantage. I am very satisfied with my broker CMC Markets not only because of the low spread on DAX and US30, but because their DPS account lets me avoid german tax monster “Verlustverrechnungsbeschränkung” (google translator: limitation of loss offsetting). What broker do you use?

I’m very lucky to live in the UK where financial spreadbetting is perfectly legal. Spreadbetting profits here are exempt from taxation.