Anybody have success using Bollinger bands

It’s one of the more common indicators around, and covered here. Anybody using this right now with any success? Any tips for a first time user?

One of the most read threads here is on the topic, so thought it might be good to start learning it.

I dont use them. But, once I saw a video by kathy leen it was very well explain you can search it on youtube.

Oh cool. I’ll give it a search. Thanks!

I am fan of using Bollinger Band in forex trading . I find it more effective than any other indicator. It had three bands thay show market position. . Depend on you rpracitce and experienc eon it you can focus on it asmiddle band is most important . I can analys=ze market well withthe help of bollingerband and chinese candle stick . They are perfect match if somebody wnats to get benefit from it.

I couldn’t find a video from her, at first, but I did find several mentions of her Double Bollinger Bands system/strategy. Then searched that strategy and presto!

Here’s the nuts and bolts:

Ms Kathy Lien, a well-known Forex analyst and trader, described a very good technique for the Bollinger Bands indicators combo, namely, the DBB – Double Bollinger Bands strategy. In her book ‘The Little Book of Currency Trading’, she wrote that this was her favourite method. Originally, the DBB can be applied to technical analysis for any actively traded asset traded on big liquid markets like Forex, stocks, commodities, equities, bonds, etc.

This is how you apply it on your chart:

Insert the Bollinger Bands® on the chart
Go to ‘Settings’ and select two standard deviations and a 20 period SMA
Insert a second set of the Bollinger Bands® with a different color
Go to ‘Settings’ and select 1 standard deviation and a 20-period SMA

I got the settings here:

I’m going to give this a shot!

2 Likes

It’s been a hit or miss for me. Though, I’m starting to look into the Squeezing part of BB rather than playing the upper and lower BB.

Will you post a trading journal on this BB strat? :slight_smile:

I’ll give it a shot.

as a newcomer i was successful with BB in demo but when kicked off a live account , this approach not worked as like before , it was my experience about BB.

Maybe which traders use the BB on sideway and rangy market only!!

its not a problem with strategy , the experience you have shared , its just all about the different between demo and live result , nothing without it at all.

Not a great experience with this tool! I have much better memory with Moving Average.

not a consistent experience with this system, its the foremost strategy for beginners level.

Here. Don’t say I never give back to the community (e-book by Kathy Lien and Boris Schlossberg):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hqa8rfy0UcDYm1aF2E1xw4b447z9rfE2

At bare minimum the introduction and her (their) approach to trading (profits and losses etc.) is worth the read.

But there’s one or two BB strategies of hers (theirs) in the book.

With regard to the trading systems:I’m not advocating trading them and cannot vouch for their effectiveness or profitability as I don’t trade them but for one (“The Memory Of Price”) which I use for trading double tops or double bottoms in the equity and commodity markets (with an almost 100% success rate so draw your own conclusions). I do not trade FOREX in any way, shape, or form so again: given that the trading systems are apparently designed specifically for the FOREX market I cannot comment.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Dale.

2 Likes

Good for confluence but nothing more.

I was used it in the past,
But i have bad P/L

Now im switch to EMA and volume at 1H and 4H timeframe
I think suits me more

It’s one of the indicators I use, among others. Was the very first one I learned to use in forex, and am quite satisfied with the information it gives me. Don’t brush it off until you’ve read John Bollinger on Bollinger Bands (the author is the original creator of Bbands).

http://www.traders-software.com/Free%20Download/John%20Bollinger%20-%20Bollinger%20on%20Bollinger%20Bands/

To my mind, this indicator is a bit unclear. It seems to be a bit difficult to use it in most of the cases. As many other indicators, it works fine during the flat movement without any direction, but relatively strong trends may cause false signals and losses. I`ve found several strategies based on it like this one, but it could be a bit complicated, especially for newbie traders. At the same time, it could be an interesting supplementary indicator providing additional confirmation for other strategies.

its a common experience we have all, main different all about psychology when trading in live or demo.

Did you ever go back to it again?