Anyone else get really annoyed when you're trade rises and drops all the time?

Hi guys, does anyone else get really damn annoyed when you have a trade open and it will go up by 100 pips, then during the same day, down 100 pips, then the next day up by 80 pips, then down 150 pips, then up 100pips etc etc.

I know it’s just ups and downs which is common but it’s just so frustrating. I’ve had 3 trades open for a week now and they’ve been locked inside a 150pip range all damn week.

I’m frightened that this is going to sound like a “smartass reply” and I don’t intend it that way at all - I want to find a way to make my point without giving any offence, and I stress that none is intended (ok? :wink: ) but … (there had to be a “but”, after that, didn’t there :8: ) …

I don’t get annoyed by that because I trade little and often. I see the “up by 100 pips” as a chance to take perhaps 40 pips in a long trade; I see the “down 100 pips” as a way to take perhaps 40 pips from a short trade.

You’re trading on a different time-frame from me, and this brings me to my point …

I’m not trying to suggest that my way is “better” than your way - not at all. But they’re different. Charts are fractal, they say (and I think it’s very substantially true). Your frustration at “100 pips up and 100 pips down” while you have a longer-term trade open is kind of equivalent to mine at 10 pips up and 10 pips down (except that doesn’t bother me very much - it’s within my margin of error, and so on).

I’m keeping trades open for (say) an hour, but it sounds like you’re keeping them open for nearer a hundred hours, or even more? So you’re on a time-frame, and a scale, perhaps a hundred times the size of mine. And that’s [I]fine[/I] - [U]as long as you have account-size, position-size and risk-management to match it[/U]. But I’m wondering, to some extent, from your post, whether you really do?

Thanks for your reply.

I’m trading 1k lots on a £1000 account balance. EUR/USD value per pip is just £0.08 so 100 pips is only £8. I’m being extremely careful with my leverage etc.

I like to hold trades for a few days, preferably a week or until I think my profit is large enough and it’s approaching resistance or something else.

Considering I’m trading on longer time frames, 50 pips or even 100 pips just isn’t that much. Also you say that when the trade is reversing, you’ll take 40 pips or whatever, so you’re basically saying you’re willing to close out trades early rather than hold them?

That is the number 1 reason people lose money on trading, they hold their losing trades and close their winning trades early.

Ah, ok - good: thanks for clarifying this (I was concerned you might really be being “damaged” by 100-pip moves). :cool:

People vary a lot, don’t they, in the relative extents to which they’re concerned about fear of loss and fear of missing out?

I try to combine solutions to both, having my cake and eating it: typically, I close two thirds of my position (either together or in two stages, depending on which of my set-ups the entry was), and let the third lot run, if it will, adjusting its stop-loss manually as it goes - again, not something I could realistically do over a much longer time-frame: I never hold any position overnight, or open one close to the end of my trading day.

I suspect that the number [I][U]one[/U][/I] reason is that they don’t actually have a proven edge in the first place, and are trading on hope, but I’ll agree that that reason is “high on the list”. :slight_smile:

Oh boy I wished I had taken the time to look at that pair, its been in a tradeable range

I’m annoyed by the FOREX markets period. But I find value in trading currencies, because I can screw up on a regular basis and it won’t put me in the poor house as long as my position sizes remain tiny. As I get better at it, I gain more confidence in reading the charts. After all, isn’t that what it’s supposed to be about, being a really good trader? Anyway, I feel your pain. But I feel it’s good when the market moves. In fact, as a swing trader, I get frustrated by the lack of movement sometimes. In fact, it drives me crazy when price stalls for days on end. So I sometimes have to switch to a lower time frame to get anything at all. That may be something you could consider. Best of luck in your trading.

i only get annoy if i sit and trade front laptop but i do know te profit is there to do so
i really not like to look at charts at all
im not enjoying it at all its reminds me im playing some old computer games
night night people