Are you better off today than a year ago

Since the beginning of 2021 we have seen supply shortages, hyperinflation, frontline hero’s fired for disagreeing with vaccine mandates, more US citizens died from covid in 2021 than in 2020, peaceful protesters ( like the truckers in Canada) labeled as terrorists by their government, bank accounts seized, stocks market crashing, and now the war in Ukraine. I can go on and on.

For me and my family, the answer is “NO!!!”

But everyone’s situation is different and would love to hear your answer and why

2 Likes

Hard to argue with any of those points.
Maybe be should approach this positively…
What, specifically, are you better off from?

2 Likes

It is a good topic for a thread. Personally, I would prefer to look at it as “Are we better off today…” because the big issues of today are so big that they are affecting us all.

My answer would be “no”, we are much worse off than a year ago. There are at least three major issues that are negatives and a fourth just beginning.

COVID is naturally still in everyone’s minds and has had a huge impact on most people’s lives. It has caused personal sufferings, severe health problems, financial difficulties, and business disruption. It has also resulted in huge additional public borrowings.

The environmental issues are also becoming very serious and causing a lot of damage and disruption around the globe. Whatever the causes of global warming, it is resulting in major destruction in many places as a result of extreme weather conditions, which is also creating huge additional needs for increased public borrowings. It is also causing irreversible changes in our global natural balance resulting in severe changes in the animal and plant kingdoms.

We are witnessing a growing trend in people and authorities trying to maintain a certain level of lifestyle which is not supported by actual economic growth. Rather, it is supported by more and more borrowings on both personal and public levels, and is resulting in record numbers of credit defaults.

The fourth issue has been brewing for some years but is only now starting to break the surface. It is the change from democratic society to dictatorships. Both the US and Europe understandably have no desire at all to risk warfare on their own territory and although they are still extremely mighty military powers, they are desperate to remain defensive and protective in their own territory rather than aggressively place peace at risk.

Unfortunately, that gives other, more aggressively-minded, dictatorships opportunity to exploit this reluctance and expand their own interests. A Russia-China friendship is a deep concern, especially with North Korea as a loose cannon alongside them.

Ukraine is the first major rupture of this change in the global power base and is pushing NATO to its limits of defensive posturing. Practically speaking, NATO is already at war with Russia in that it is supplying weapons to Ukraine. The only thing that makes it technically “non-NATO” is the nationality of the person using those NATO weapons. However, Russia is now already claiming that these weapon shipments are ligitimate military targets.

So what does this mean to us?
At the minimum it means additional economic difficulties as a result of sanctions. These always work both ways and negatively affect both sides. There are likely to be additional inflationary pressures arising from global food shortages such as wheat and vegetable oils and energy supplies.

But at its worst it means escalating warfare into Europe and involving NATO members, which can possibly also lead to wide usage of formidable weapons such as chemical and biological weapons, dirty bombs (conventional bombs filled with radioactive material), tactical nuclear weapons and even strategic nuclear weapons.

So that is how I see our present situation and how it has changed from only one year ago. So I really don’t think we are better off today, maybe some humans are, but not humankind…

That’s just my view…

4 Likes

I think that sums it up.

4 Likes

Are you completely sure of that ?

I see others are determined to make the question into yet another chant about “what is good for humankind” - whilst demonstarating a simple regurgitation of legacy media garbage and only engaging with the real world from the safety of their mom’s basement !

So let’s take a look at this from a personal point of view (which is in fact the ONLY point of view which is valid as individuals )

Net worth
My property value has increased due to the attributed gain of similar house sales locally and to keep inflation realistic - by something in the order of maybe (positive) £25000. I have a boat and our club has had amassive influx of “Newbies” - many without boats and a load of “lockdown cash” burning holes in their pockets ! - This has inflated teh value of my boat by say £7000 - Hmmm! - I am tempted ! ( I know I;ll be able to buy it or one similar back in a year or so ) when they realise how damn hard it actually is to keep a 60 year old boat and MARINISED diesel engine, gas fridges and cookers and flush toilets, Battery Electrics only - actually pushing out Hot water on demand to the Galley and Shower - whilst they do not even know which way riound to hold a screwdriver !

Housing costs

• only “Council Tax” since I am debt free. - so negative c £400. Gas and Electric due to the ridiculous “Net Zero aspirations of a virtue signalling fool” negative £600 (this will be adressed this summer) (All costs annualised) Diesel negative £250 Food and disposables shopping - negative £300

Addictions
Booze - I have made my own for many years now - so (theoretical saving) of say £500 - tobacco - negative £200 - I am speaking tomorrow to a women wrt renting an allotment - to grow my own virginia leaf - we shall see !

Income
Pension positive c £75 ! :rofl:

Other
Broadband - positive £120 for much faster system. Phone positive £120 (unlimited calls) Computers - I paid £320 for this pice of rubbish I type on now but have taught myself to repair and refurbish - so can now bang out laptops massively better than this at £200 each ! - unfortunately Ebay etc fees have pretty much made this unviable as a trading venture - but me and mine will always be able to afford a real quality item at genuinely low cost.

Potential
I have 3 rooms I can if necessary rent out - to cover inflation or other needs.

Health and welfare
Massively better than 12 months ago - but have had to go “Black market” and harbour considerable animosity towards NHS about it ! ( Actual costs c£500)

So All in All - YES - I’m in a far better place than I wa s12 months ago - if only the Doombrains - woulld STOP trying to tell me What’s good for Humanity !

1 Like

Not really. My husband works as a welder and got a raise to $23 an hour around four months ago, which would leave him bringing home $650 a week after taxes and paying for our insurance. However, the price of steel has gone up so his work hasn’t been getting many orders and they keep calling them off or sending them home early. One week we had $350 worth of bills and he only brought home $300, plus we needed groceries. Things have just now started picking back up at his work and we got income taxes back, which is the only way we were able to catch up on our mortgage.
I trade to bring in extra money and we’ve had that to fall back on, but I’ve been more anxious about trading lately with everything that has been going on. The whole thing is very stressful.

2 Likes

Ugh so sorry. I’m glad to hear he got a raise recently though. What was his hourly before then?

I feel like it’s harder to focus on trading when money is tight. I hope he gets a better work schedule soon!

3 Likes

It has been a mixed bag. Surprisingly enough, 2020 and 2021 were not the worst years of my life. I took advantage of the lockdown to learn Spanish and I am graduating with an MsC. very soon. Yes, the world is in a bad place right now but we can always try to do our best in out circumstances.

1 Like

Frankly, I am so anxious over everything that is happening in Ukraine that I can’t say I am better off than a year ago. I am tired of going through historical events. :frowning:

1 Like

Really sorry to hear. Hope things improve for you guys.

1 Like

Mate - It’s a lovely day outside - just go for a decent walk and get that stuff out of your head - then have a nice cup of tea and a game pf poker online ! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

An answer to two different questions here. Am I better off than a year ago? Yes. I have improved in my trading, grown other income streams as well and despite all of the inflation I am left with more money than I had a year ago and things are moving in the right direction.

Are we better off than a year ago in the grand scheme of things in the world with the way economies are going, wars raging, fuel sky rocketing with no widely used alternatives, potential food shortages down the line and a rapidly changing climate? No, not at all.

2 Likes

cashisking86, I think you hit it right on, and maybe the better question and title of this thread should have been " Is the World a better place today than a year ago"

1 Like

Couldn’t have put it better my man .
Things are about to get worse and for a while to come.
Even if the Ukraine situation is resolved it will leave a long lasting impact on the geopolitical landscape which will be felt for many years to come

1 Like