ASOS Setting A New Trend?

Jack Sherwin - Aspiring Stock and Forex Market Analyst

I am working to build a published portfolio of stock and forex analysis with Samuel and Co Trading. I will be posting my analysis weekly, so keep your eyes peeled for my market outlook. I would like to open my analysis for discussion and feedback from the community.

Stock in question: AIM:ASC (ASOS)

Today I am going to be exploring one of the biggest UK AIM listed stocks, ASOS PLC. I have been watching this stock for many months and it is now displaying some good technicals as well as fundamentals. ASOS is a UK fashion and cosmetic online retailer selling over 850 brands including its own ranges of clothing and accessories designed in house and distributing to 200 countries from the UK, US, and Europe. ASOS have a mission “to become the world’s number one online shopping destination for fashion-loving 20-somethings". Founded in 2000 by Nick Robertson (now non-executive director) and Quentin Griffiths, ASOS went on to be admitted to the AIM market on the LSE in 2001.

In December 2018, we saw significant reductions in consumer spending across the retail sector, leading to ASOS cutting its full-year guidance after “significant deterioration in trading”. Estimated sales growth was reduced from 20-25% to 15% in the year to August 2019 as well as profit margin falling from 4% to 2% in the same announcement. With the UK playing a big part in its earnings, ASOS’ key demographic of 20-somethings has strong concerns about the future of their economy surrounding Brexit leading to them being conservative with their spending in the retail markets.

Source: TradingView

From the daily chart here, you can see the large gap after the announcement from ASOS regarding the FY estimates. Since then, we have seen an immediate retracement back through the 2,800p level which has gone on to be consistent support for this stock in the months to follow. Price has held between the range of 2,800 and 3,350 since early January 19, I would like to see a break of the 3,350 level to allow for a long entry into this stock, looking for a long hold to 4,000 for a gain of 19%.

Interestingly, ASOS is not a dividend paying stock, giving them an open opportunity to reinvest profits and accomplish their mission to become the world’s leading online fashion destination. In our current risk-averse investment environment this may be a contributing factor to people staying out of this position if they’re looking for a stock to hold their value and pay out a dividend.

Source: Hargreaves Lansdown

As we can see from these broker ratings, ASOS is on average a buy with 1 sell, 2 neutral, 2 buys and 7 strong buys with price targets ranging from 3,500p to 5,200p. Barclays has said “there is food for bulls and bears” whilst remaining positive with their outlook, their price target being 4,000p.

Additionally, ASOS had to recently suspend their marketing campaign in the U.S after their new $40M distribution centre in Atlanta could not keep up with the demand for orders resulting in a backlog that lasted 4 weeks. Arguably, this could be viewed as a positive problem to have, highlighting the potential for ASOS in the US market over the coming years. However, it also highlights the need to improve infrastructure to cope with this demand and to ensure there are no delays in dispatching orders in the future, something that could potentially damage their reputation and deter future customers. Hopefully ASOS have learnt their lesson and will be better equipped for potential spikes in demand in the future.

Source: SimplyWallSt

Looking at this chart of ASOS’ historical debt, we can see that their debt level is at zero and has been for the past 5 years. This is a point that I consider to be a real positive when looking into a company’s statistics because unlike many stocks ASC have no interest payments to keep up, freeing up their equity to reinvest.

Source: TradingView

A direct competitor of ASOS in the UK market is online retailer and fashion house Boohoo. As you can see from the chart displaying the same time frames as ASOS, Boohoo proved to correlate strongly to ASOS, bearing the same market sentiment surrounding Brexit negotiations. In the interest of opportunity, I see more upside potential with ASC moving forward due to their huge US expansion and presence in France and Germany and have chosen to explore them as a trade opportunity over Boohoo. In conclusion, a couple of stocks with great upside potential to drop into the watchlist for the coming months.

References:

Hargreaves Lansdown.com (20 March 2019) Asos still a ‘buy’ but with risks says Barclays, Jeffries retrieved from Hargreaves Lansdown.com: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/a/asos-plc-ordinary-3.5p/share-news

Independent.com (17 December 2018) Asos shares plummet 40% as UK high street turmoil spreads to online retailers retrieved from Independent.com: Asos shares plummet 40% as high street turmoil spreads to online retailers

Proactiveinvestors.co.uk (19 March 2019) What went wrong with ASOS’ US business last month? Retrieved from: https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/216756/what-went-wrong-with-asoss-us-business-last-month-216756.html

This article is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to purchase, or to subscribe for any investment. The owner, editor, writer and publisher and their associates are not responsible for errors or omissions. The author of this article is not a registered financial advisor. Readers should not view this material as offering investment related advice. Authors have taken information from what is perceived as reliable sources, but since the information source(s) are beyond our control, no representation or guarantee is made that it is complete or accurate. The reader precautions to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Information collected and presented accepts information on the condition that errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. Any statements non-factual in nature constitute only current opinions, which are subject to change. The information presented in this article is not a specific buy or sell recommendation and is presented solely for informational purposes only. Not be taken as financial advice. Investors are advised to obtain the advice of a qualified financial and investment advisor before entering any financial transaction.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the online retail sector in general?

1 Like

In my opinion I see the online retail sector as ‘disruptive’. It is expanding at such a rate it’s impossible to ignore. You may have seen the hot water debenhams have found themselves in in recent years and I cannot help but think that their lack of an online presence is a significant contributor. We have seen a significant drop in footfall on the UK high street with online shopping becoming a favoured option for most generations, 1/3 of all UK spending happening online in 2018.

1 Like

Very true with Brexit as well, the high street retailers will have a crucial few years

1 Like

Jack Sherwin - Aspiring Stock and Forex Market Analyst

I am working to build a published portfolio of stock and forex analysis with Samuel and Co Trading. I will be posting my analysis weekly, so keep your eyes peeled for my market outlook. I would like to open my analysis for discussion and feedback from the community.

Stock in question: AIM:ASC (ASOS)

On the 2nd of April, I posted a report detailing ASOS’ market situation and my outlook for the stock in the coming weeks with what I thought maybe a potential move from its position at the time. I have attached a link to my original report at the top of this post. Today we have seen price move past my 4000p level and take out my take profit target. The stock has moved a total of 24.4% to the upside since the date of my article posting which you can see in the chart below. Here’s a little more why we saw such a good move in the past few weeks.

Source: Tradingview

On the technicals, ASC reacted very well to the short term trendline drawn in my initial analysis clearly rebounding to continue its rally towards my target. However, this was not a purely technical move since it coincided with ASOS’ half-year earnings release.

On the 10th of April ASOS released their half-year earnings for the 6 months up to 28th February. It was widely expected in the market that these earnings would not be very positive as a result of the market struggles they faced in this period (detailed more in my previous article). The earnings came in surprisingly good for the tough period and ASOS CEO Nick Beighton outlined their long term goals remain unchanged as well as their full-year guidance. Here is what he had to say about the period;

“We grew sales by 14% despite a more competitive market. ASOS is capable of a lot more. We have identified a number of things we can do better and are taking action accordingly. We are confident of improved performance in the second half and are not changing our guidance for the year.
We are nearing the end of a major capex programme. Whilst this has inevitably involved significant disruption and transition costs, the global capability it now provides us gives us increased confidence in our ability to continue to capture market share whilst restoring profitability and accelerating free cash flow generation.
Global online fashion is a growing, £220bn+ market. We now have the tech platform, the infrastructure, a constant conversation with our growing customer base who love our own great product and the constantly evolving edit of brands we present to them. We believe that ultimately there will only be a handful of companies with a truly global scale in this market. We are determined that ASOS will be one of them”

It is quite possible that we could see some more opportunities with ASOS in the future as they continue to develop and take over market share as a global fashion retailer.

References:

ASOS PLC Investors latest results: Latest Results – ASOS plc

Disclaimer: This article is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to purchase, or to subscribe for any investment. The owner, editor, writer and publisher and their associates are not responsible for errors or omissions. The author of this article is not a registered financial advisor. Readers should not view this material as offering investment related advice. Authors have taken information from what is perceived as reliable sources, but since the information source(s) are beyond our control, no representation or guarantee is made that it is complete or accurate. The reader precautions to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Information collected and presented accepts information on the condition that errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. Any statements non-factual in nature constitute only current opinions, which are subject to change. The information presented in this article is not a specific buy or sell recommendation and is presented solely for informational purposes only. Not be taken as financial advice. Investors are advised to obtain the advice of a qualified financial and investment advisor before entering any financial transaction.

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Hi guys,

Since this trade was completed and take profit hit the stock has moved down to a possibly look at new positions. Anyone keeping an eye on it?