Assessment of a strategy

Hello there, I am working on my strategy and would like to share it and if you could help me in refine it so it could potentially be profitable.

1. Find the trend on the 1hr/4hr chart/daily
  2. Look for patterns on the 1hr chart (Fibonacci, retracement, continuing trend)
  3. Look for candlestick patterns(double tops, double bottoms, engulfing patterns)
  4. Analyse the indicators (Scholastic, Bollinger bands, EMA, SMA, Marketmilk)
  5. When I analyzed if it is going up or down, I look at the last resistance/support for take profit and stop loss
  6. Ensure to have a ratio of at least 2:1
  7. Place the trade on the 1hr chart

What do you think ? Is it complete enough ?

Thanks in advance

8 Likes

The most important is being on the right side of a trade. Test your strategy out.

3 Likes

Hello Steve, what do you mean ‘being on the right side of the trade’ can you say it in other words ? And to test, do you mean back test ?

Thanks a million

2 Likes

Hi

Not meaning to sound patronising, you have done your research it seems.The process is now practicing on demo.There is no real short cuts, maybe paying for a mentor to advise you, what you don’t need to know .

3 Likes

Yes, I understand. I was part of another group that kept saying to go live with a small real account and not go demo as they say that you learn a lot faster when you pay for your mistakes. Demo practise is the answer. I will do that until my stats show that I am right 50% of the time overall.

2 Likes

This might sound simplistic and possibly patronising.

Your strategy is an intra-day reversal strategy. These are widely taught and are used as a first strategy by the majority of new traders. The majority of new traders lose money and leave trading inside of a few weeks or months.

Are you sure this is the best approach?

2 Likes

Ok tommor, I am very willing to listen to ideas. Do you have something to suggest that I do different ?

1 Like

:+1::+1:

yes maybe then a small account

2 Likes

In my opinion, start practising on a demo account first before going live.

2 Likes

As per some posts below a demo account is great to start with.

As for strategy I’d have to recommend taking trend-following trades off the daily charts.

Some people will probably now post that this cannot possibly make money from a small account. Worth trying to prove one way or the other.

1 Like

I actually trade on a demo account of 120k with FTMO free challenge. I started with a 15k account and thought, I may as well get used to bigger numbers. Always go for 0.5% risk. I will follow the advice to do trend-following trades off the daily charts, and keep the statistics going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you ever thought about trying your hand at a PAMM system?
I think there are lots of people who would like to invest into you.

Holy macaroni! I am just a beginner, I think this is way to ahead of me :slight_smile:

The best advice is always keep it simple. More indicators and rules are not likely going to give you better results.

Longer term, trend following strategies like Tommor suggested are usually your best bet. The reason more people don’t use them is because they’re boring and won’t make you rich. But, what you’ll eventually learn in Forex is as long as you’re in the green at the end of the month then you’re doing better than the majority.

But don’t let this stop you from dreaming because there are people who do make a good living from Forex, just not most.

2 Likes

Thank you MattyMoney, I will stick to the simple rules and go for the marathon. As for my dreams, they are very much alive and I do imagine having them every day :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

Personally, I never back test because I’m lazy and my strategy is based on Ichimoku which has stood the test of time with years of testing as being profitable in trending markets. Downside, is ranging markets are in the majority, and thus needs a different way of looking for positive probability trades.

Which means to be on the right side of a trade, it’s important to understand order flow which moves price action. Without orders there is no price movement. A ‘simple’ example is in a bullish trending movement where the order flow majority is to buy until (perhaps) moving towards a resistance zone where losing traders close their contrarian trades or get stopped out.

Winning traders can wait and see what is going to happen next when reaching the Zone. Which means that the price is falling until either traders buy to continue the trend or sell in the expectations that there will be a retracement back down. Long term testing has shown that it is more likely that the trend would continue until it goes out in a big spike bang at some point in the future.

So with that knowledge, placing a T/P is not just guesswork - like RRR - but a critical part of being successful. My strategy is running at a 55% winning ratio.

Hope that is understandable. If not try reading Jason Alan Jankovsky website www.netwinningtrader.com

1 Like

it is a thorough strategy. only that if it were me, i would reduce on the indicators in 4 and stick to one. Also for the case on number 2, continuing trend is okay but add only one more pattern or better yet stick to the trend only. other than that, i think its okay

1 Like

hi I’m not trusting lagging indicators. so I’m trading with Supply and Demand and validating with volume profiles and considering liquidity. I’m still on backtesting stage since 2020. I’m having good result of those. 65 win rate can be gain. and now I’m focusing on fundamentals like NFP, interest … etc. Last NFP I’m able to gain more than 1000 pips (testing).

Following, I just started the other day :relaxed:

let me teach you a framework to organize your current trading into a profitable strategy.
1.Type of trade whether you trade reversals, breakouts, or continuations.
2. Market Phase has to do with identifying if the market is sideways or ranging. Decide if you trade trends or reversals.
3.Zone: finding areas on the chart where you can enter trades (i.e. support & resistance, pivot points, Fib levels, etc.) I suggest use one to keep it simple pleas, pleas here at that stage patience is the key. :muscle: :muscle: dont jump in to the trade before it makes sense.
4. Price Action: any price action patterns (candlesticks, chart patterns, etc.)
5.Indicator (optional) pretty simple, any indicator that can help you add confluence to the trade (i.e. RSI for reversals, EMA for trend, etc.) please use one, than done tell me the results after applied.

2 Likes