AUD/USD weekly outlook: RBA to hold, US data to heat up? Sep 20 , 2024

AUD/USD is hinting at a breakout ahead of the weekend. But whether it can hold on to any breakout gains (should they arrive) may be down to next week’s RBA meeting and US inflation report.

By :Matt Simpson, Market Analyst

The RBA are likely to hold their cash rate at 4.35% on Tuesday. We will of course look for any clues that the RBA have removed their hawkish bias. But given their August minutes highlighted that the cash rate seemed likely to remain elevated compared with market pricing, they seem likely to sound dovish given market pricing is more dovish than it was a month ago. Markets have fully priced in four 25bp cuts by July, which seems far-fetched given the relatively high levels of inflation and decent employment figures in place. With that said, the monthly inflation report is also out on Wednesday, which the RBA are likely to want to see before unveiling a dovish pivot.

US flash PMIs and the Q2 GDP report are the warm-up act for Friday’s US PCE inflation. I have a sneaking suspicion data could surprise to the upside overall, given that is exactly what we have seen in recent CPI, NFP and ISM reports. It might not take much of an upside surprise from PCE inflation to further derail USD short bets, which would likely be bearish for AUD/USD if it does. With that said, are in all-out easing mode and the debate is over how fast they will cut (not if), which means upside pressures for AUD/USD persist overall, which is why I continue to favour a bullish breakout above 70c in Q4.

Click the website link below to get our exclusive Guide to AUD/USD trading in H2 2024.

https://www.cityindex.com/en-au/market-outlooks-2024/h2-aud-usd-outlook/

AUD/USD technical analysis

I have previously outlined my bias prices to eventual the upside of the multi-month triangle. I am now questioning whether it may happen sooner than later. Prices are on track for their most bullish week in four, although yet to close above the July high. But prices also have the December high to contend with as a likely resistance level at 0.6810.

For now, I suspect prices want to head for the December high, but we’d need to see a sustained break below 100 on the US dollar index to assume continued gains on AUD/USD. Therefore, bulls could seek dips on lower timeframes but prepare to remain nimble, in case momentum turns higher for an arguably oversold US dollar. I also assume resistance at 69c may trigger a pullback initially.

– Written by Matt Simpson

Follow Matt on Twitter @cLeverEdge

https://www.cityindex.com/en-au/news-and-analysis/aud-usd-weekly-outlook-rba-to-hold-us-data-to-heat-up-2024-09-20/

From time to time, StoneX Financial Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.

As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.