Babypips posters

Having a look at the forums here and I notice a lot of people that post only a few times (or once) with a desperate plea for help to become a winner. I’m only new here so I’m just wondering from the longer serving members of this is a common thing here or only a recent change due to more people struggling for cash.

What amazes me more is people put a fair bit of effort repling to people whom obviously have no intention of learning or can’t get past the get rich quick thought process. Which is great we have peeps helping with legit decency but I find wasted on people who don’t deserve half the response they get.

Either way I hope I can be a contributor more than a burden. Peace

3 Likes

You’ve got a point there.
And I agree with most of it.
However, I don`t think it’s time and effort wasted simply because these questions and answers are here to stay.
So, from a searcher’s point of view - you can find answers to your questions (from the forum in Google). And in the forum search as well.
Even if the answer is wasted on the particular poster, it may (and most probably will) be of use to others that have the same questions and take the time to actually search for the answers.

4 Likes

[quote=“Aidobeast, post:1, topic:141999, full:true”]
Having a look at the forums here and I notice a lot of people that post only a few times (or once) with a desperate plea for help to become a winner. I’m only new here so I’m just wondering from the longer serving members if this is a common thing here or only a recent change due to more people struggling for cash.[/quote]

People like the ones you describe have been wandering in and out of here forever.

Some of those folks are just lazy, and want to be spoon-fed. Some of them arrive here with impossible expectations of easy riches. And a few seem to have wandered in here by mistake while they were trying to find a men’s room.

There is no screening process for “membership” in this forum. In effect, the forum door is left wide open 24/7. Consequently, all sorts of homeless people and stray cats wander in.

[quote=“Aidobeast, post:1, topic:141999, full:true”]
What amazes me more is people put a fair bit of effort replying to people who obviously have no intention of learning or can’t get past the get rich quick thought process. Which is great we have peeps helping with legit decency but I find wasted on people who don’t deserve half the response they get.[/quote]

Time spent answering a question might be wasted on a particular newbie, and yet not wasted on the forum, at large.

I spend a fair bit of time answering newbie questions. But, each time I post an answer, it’s with the idea in mind that the answer might help lots of people who have the same question.

There’s no way for ordinary users of this forum to know how many people are reading what we post, but I think most days the number is probably in the hundreds.

And all of our posts remain accessible to those who have the initiative to dig through the archives. It’s gratifying when a newbie digs up a post from years ago, and then posts a thank-you for explaining or clarifying something.

Good attitude :relaxed:

11 Likes

My point exacly! Not in as many words but yeah. Spot on.

Good post Aidobeast.

But two things keep me posting here - one is there might be members who read the Q&A exchanges but don’t post but nevertheless who do get some benefit. I’m happy to help if its a subject I know something about.

But secondly, the reason I’m happy to help is self-interested. so many times I have posted an opinion on an aspect of trading and either the OP or other members come back with some further queries or criticisms or suggested developments. And this is so valuable when you’re essentially working alone in a bubble.

I’ve found the more I give out about what I’m doing, the more I get back to help me strengthen it.

2 Likes

I think the bigger problem is that there are some posters who are effectively spam posting. Some, because they are producing paid ‘content’, and others just because they like the sound of their own typing. Either way, those posters range from irritating to dangerous.

Without an ‘ignore’ function, the only way for normal members to avoid dealing with toxic posters is to simply avoid threads where those posters are showing up. I know that my own forum participation has fallen off in recent months, largely for this reason.

1 Like

That’s definitely part of the bigger problem.

Most of the “serious members” have left, because of it.

It’s really a great shame.

2 Likes

I simply agree with everything that @Clint said.

1 Like