Back Testing For Success

Back testing serves multiple purposes that contribute to your success as a trader. First and foremost back testing will allow you to quickly see if the method of trading, the strategy, or the trade setup works more often than not using a large data set without having to wait for each scenario to play out in real time.

Back testing is trade research and data collection. You are collecting data about a set of circumstances and the percentage of the time that they play out. You are also collecting data about the circumstances where the setup does not play out. Most importantly you are training yourself to recognize patterns and setups as they form and training yourself how to execute your strategy.

Do not discount the importance of back testing. The strategy is less important than the traders ability to implement the strategy and back testing allows the trader to rapidly develop the muscle memory and intuition to execute the strategy. When the forex market is closed on the weekends, successful traders are back testing.

Data Collection vs Back Testing

Data Collection involves scrolling back through the charts to see setups and get a rough estimate of how often the setup worked and how often it did not, with all chart data viewable. This is usually one of the first steps in developing a strategy, identify a set of conditions that produce a desired result more often than not. This type of back testing is not meant to train the trader in execution or test a strategy.

Back Testing involves starting at a point in the past and playing the chart forward and attempting to trade a strategy against historical data. This is the traditional back testing that most of us do once we have a strategy that we want to become proficient with. When back testing the strategy we don’t have the benefit of seeing what is to come on the right side of the screen so trade setups form and decisions are made as if they were occurring in real time, with the advantage of being able to pause the chart and make a decision. This is training yourself for the live market by becoming proficient with pattern recognition, setup identification, and trade execution. For back testing to be successful, you still must collect the data from the back testing session. If you don’t track it and quantify it, you will not be able to improve it or develop confidence in it.

Documentation

Back testing and data collection both require a means of collecting the data gained from testing. This may be the part that slows down the process as data needs to be collected manually if the back testing platform used doesn’t do this automatically. An excel spreadsheet can be used or even a physical notebook. There are back testing software that will accumulate statistics for the trader, but the data collected may not be specific to the data that you need.

Some useful data to be collected while back testing:

• Date
  • Day of the week
  • Time of the day the trade was entered
  • Time frame traded
  • The currency pair
  • Buying or selling
  • Entry signal used (engulfing, pin bar, morning/evening star, etc.)
  • Entry price
  • Fibonacci level used for entry
  • Fibonacci level that price ultimately reacted from
  • % that each Fibonacci level worked
  • Condition of any indicators at the time of entry
  • Stop loss price and pips
  • % Stop loss was hit
  • Take profit levels and pips targeted
  • Take profit levels actually achieved
  • Hit % of each take profit
  • Manually closed trades
  • Screenshot of the trade before or at time of entry
  • Screenshot of the trade after the trade is over
  • Notes about the trade

Corrupting Your Data

To be useful, back testing must be unbiased. You are not back testing to inflate your ego about your skills or your strategy. You are attempting to get unbiased data about whether it works or it doesn’t work for you and under what conditions. Don’t try to rewrite history by saying, “I would have done this and that trade would be a win”. If you add a condition to the strategy such as “I would exit if 2 consecutive doji print while I’m in profit”, make it a rule and test the results with that rule in place. This is a mechanical process not a discretionary process. In order to develop confidence in your strategy, you have to know for a fact, based on data alone, that the strategy has an edge when a certain set of conditions are in place.

4 Likes

I think you’re confusing back testing with journaling trades

No confusion. While both can accumulate useful data, journaling trades is for live data and back testing is based on historical data. I like to collect a robust sampling of data in both.

1 Like

As part of market analysis, back testing is essential because it helps traders identify market’s support and resistance level.

1 Like

In back testing there is no such thing like “training yourself how to execute your strategy”, you have specific strategy to be tested, for example if price close above simple moving average 15 period then buy 0.1 lot on next open at EURUSD M15 set SL 50 pips below current price, exit after 10 bars.

Market analysis and back testing are two different things, as I said above.

Backtesting Clearly define the entry and exit criteria for your trading strategy. This includes specific indicators, technical patterns, or fundamental factors that trigger trade signals. Having well-defined rules helps in implementing them consistently during backtesting.

2 Likes

Are you with a regulatory body that defines what encompasses backtesting for everyone else in the world?

Many traders use backtesting to not only collect data but to hone their pattern recognition skills (train themselves). Just because it’s not what you do in your backtesting doesn’t mean it is not backtesting.

Top athletes have their own proprietary training techniques, which may not be used by other athletes, to give themselves an edge in competition.

If the thought of someone not following your rules of what defines backtesting bothers you, please understand that you are not being held hostage to this thread. You are still free to do your backtesting as you see fit and you are free to ignore this thread altogether.

Thank you for your feedback and thanks for stopping by.

regulatory body are only humans so they do mistakes.

Clearly, you don’t understand the difference between backtesting and journal trades. How long do you trade?

mhm, to achieve that level they need to learn basics.

it is not my rules, I am learning from others

Many of us ignore backtesting just because we don’t know how useful it is actually. It helps us highly in setting target.

1 Like

Many traders skip / ignore back testing because:

• they don’t know how to do it,
  • don’t want to learn
  • don’t want to pay for course
  • The guy from advertise earn $300 when shopping time, so I can do it too in the same way :wink:

Journaling Trades, as the name implies, is capturing data from trading activity on real-time data to allow for review for continued strategy validation and improvement.
Backtesting is capturing data from historical price data for strategy development, strategy validation, strategy improvement, and pattern recognition training among other benefits.

May I remind you that you are not being held hostage on this thread. You are free to go. There are a lot of other threads on babypips that are lacking their requisite troll.

Still think it is the same but ok, you are trading master after graduate BP school :upside_down_face: thank you for named me troll, it was very appropriate, :slight_smile:

Actually I have been trading stocks since 2011. I originally completed the babypips course 3 years ago and it was informative even if it didn’t teach me how to trade.

You are still not a hostage here and are free to explore other threads.
I wish you well on trading journey and may all your trades be profitable.

Rest In Peace to the crew of the Titan submersible. :pray:

You can laugh at me and you don’t have to listen to me, the FX market will verify your knowledge and skills.

Showing ignorance to back testing is a step to losing in the market so we do do it for our sake.

2 Likes

I totally agree! Ignoring backtesting is like jumping into the market blindfolded. It’s crucial to test our strategies and analyze past data to understand their effectiveness.

not so: market analysis and backtesting are two completely different things

not so: it has absolutely nothing to do with identfiying market S/R levels at all

Thanks for sharing everything in detail. I know many traders dislike back testing and they think it’s a burden. But I am strictly in favor of back testing.

1 Like