Beer

Just discovered innis & gunn , a Scottish ale sold in 330ml bottles,very smooth and tasty.not cheap though and it’s that nice that the wife keeps taking them from the fridge

Some craft beers cost a lot, and they’re worth it.

But, this is ridiculous.

Hair of the Dog Dave, rare craft beer, on sale for 2 grand

I’d have to be three-sheets-to-the-wind before I’d lay down my credit card, and say,

“Bring us a round of that $2,000 beer”.

I am glad to see this thread on babypips forum.

Personally, I never liked the american light beers. I am all about craft beers now.

In North Carolina, there are more than 60 breweries who make wonderful creations.

If you are up for a game than you should definitely try

Devils Tramping Ground Tripel by Avaitor Brewery. It might be available only in NC currently.

It’s quite polarizing - In a country where THAT many people drink THAT much ****ty beer, there is also THAT much good craft beer, micro breweries, and passion for the craft!

I just thought it was time for an alternate point of view –

I once heard a commercial on the radio proudly proclaiming, from whatever tiny brewery it was, that Budweiser spilled more beer in a year than this “quality” brewer even made in a year. The implication being, of course, that the smaller brewer took more time, created a better crafted product, wouldn’t be so careless with its better quality beer, yada yada yada.

Hogwash. Budweiser spills more beer in year than the other guy makes because Budweiser is better. The sales of Budweiser on the open market prove conclusively that theirs is the more desired product and that which is more desired is, by definition, more valued. Since their product is more valued it is more popular and because it is more popular it is more profitable and because it is more profitable they can afford to splash it around all over the place and make more because the demand refuses to wane while the micro brewery remains a micro because… it sucks.

If it was any good then there would be such a demand that they too could afford to splash it all over the place without caring but they can’t because no one likes their second rate product.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming… :cool:

I like you, John. And I like most of the things you post in this forum — except when you’ve had way too much Budweiser to drink, and you start posting stuff like this:

Referring back to the 24/7 Wall St article linked in post #1 of this thread:

“Surprisingly, Budweiser, the best-selling beer in America for years has lost 30% of its sales over the five-year period. Given that Budweiser sold 18 million barrels last year, this is a massive loss – more than 7 million barrels less.”

As I opined at the bottom of that post: [I]When you say Butt-Wiper, you’ve said it all.[/I]

And is Budweiser cheaper in the US? So sales might not mean that Bud is better. Skoda outsell Aston Martin, after all.

Wow, North Carolina sounds like Heaven! Craft beers can be addictive. Once you’ve tried a few it’s difficult not to get hooked appreciating the quality, variety and the behind the scene story of craftsmanship.

At the same time there seems to be a renaissance of some of the old US regional breweries. Two of my new/old favorites are Narragansett and Yuengling. Both good “after mowing the lawn” or “at the ball game” beers, when you’re having more than one. :smiley:

PS If you’re every really really really lost and find yourself driving on route-6 through downtown Willimantic Connecticut stop at the “Post Office” brew pub. Not only wonderful craft brews but also good food.

Well, I may have had a few beers before posting. It was a Friday evening, you know…

Anyway, on the more serious side of all things brewed, this is something I have actually given a bit of thought to. Budweiser is known as “the King of Beers.” It is a self-proclaimed title but the good folks at Anheuser-Busch had a bit of a foundation to make this claim. Budweiser was, at the time, one of the biggest selling beers in the United States. It also, not surprisingly, had clever marketing and one of the larger advertising budgets for U.S. beers. For a few decades Budweiser and beer became somewhat synonymous (much like Xerox means make copies, “Coke” means a carbonated soft drink of any variety in much of the southern U.S., “Google” means to perform an online search, etc.).

What was the largest selling beer in the U.S. for the first half of the 20th century? Schlitz. Why? Again, the not very surprising answer is advertising. It was the “Beer that made Milwaukee Famous.” It enjoyed one of the top two spots, along side of Budweiser, until the mid-1970’s. I remember Schlitz very well. It was the beer my Dad drank! So what happened to Schlitz? They faced some worker strikes in the 70’s, changed ownership and in order to cut costs, slashed their advertising budget. Within a few short years Schlitz faded into obscurity.

While Schlitz was declining and Budweiser was in its supreme ascendancy, another brewer cleverly began a massive – and I do mean massive – advertising campaign for what I am sure all here will agree is a lesser quality product, Miller Light. “The tastes great/less filling” commercials that filled the air during every televised sporting event in the U.S. became ingrained with American culture. Its only televised competition was the obligatory Clydesdales and Budman commercials.

The only other beer to have any impact on U.S. consumers got the best free advertising in history, the – dare I say it? Yes, I dare! – the cinematic masterpiece, “Smokey and the Bandit” bootlegging a truckload of Coors while Sheriff Buford T. Justice remained in hot pursuit. When Coors finally was brought east of the Mississippi – legally – it had an immediate impact and high sales moving into the #3 spot (behind #1 Budweiser and #2 Miller Light).

Americans are uniquely impressionable, in my opinion. We buy what we are told. Whomever spends the most on advertising wins. Madison Avenue actually controls the nation and, quite possibly, the world.

All that being said, my original post was a bit tongue in cheek. I have run across a few micro-brews I actually like. Most micro-brews are, however, swill. They are nasty, bitter tasting, vomit inducing liquids of low quality and high price. So, instead of mistreating my taste buds on a gamble I will usually just buy whatever the Madmen tell me to. It may not be great but I will at least keep from involuntary convulsions.

If I run across any of the beers or ales previously mentioned by the more discerning I will probably be compelled to try them. When I do, I will render my critique.

But tonight my friends, I am going to travel at 90+ mph across Interstate 40 in a big rig, east bound and down with Bandit, Snowman, Frog and Fred… with a can of Coors within easy reach. It just doesn’t get any more American than that.

Yuengling. You will have no arguments from me on that one!

“Buweiser is better”. Budweiser brag about the fact they use rice as an ingredient. Rice is a known filler to malt beverages to reduce cost, and ads nothing to the brew itself in terms of aromas or taste. The major breweries producing the same beer, market that their beer should be drunk “ice cold”. Why? Well, because the coldness inhibits your taste buds. It tastes like sweetened malt water.

Using the fallacy from popularity argument just doesn’t hold up.

Budweiser never win any beer competitions. I rather trust the judgement of trained expert panels is tasting rather than the general populace. Wal-Mart thrives, despite being known for having cheaper, less quality items. I guess Budweiser is the Wal-Mart of beer, in a way. :smiley:

Alot of American beers suck… now they can focus on putting better beers on the shelves!

Actually beer isnt the most tastiest drink in the world. Corona is the best for me.

Also Bud Light is pretty tasty. But there exist a lot of beer which tastes like a piss

I’ve never drunk piss to know what it tastes like.

But I’ll say even Hamm’s Beer has to be better.

German beer is by far the best in the world, no doubt about it

Beer is actually [I]health-food[/I] — I knew it!

10 reasons to have a beer RIGHT NOW!

i still like budweiser. Its what my grandpa drank and its what i want to drink :wink: I do like newcastle though.

Sam Adams is really good. Esp the summer brews that they come out with

Bud seems to be the best for me although I love Corona as well. Asian Beers are to die for as well.I remembered travelling to Seoul and the mix beer with Soju (local alcohol), and this has to be something I look forward on having again.