Best OS for MT4

Good morning. Or whatever it is for you. I’m in the market for a new laptop to trade on. Of course all the new machines have Windows 10, and I’m not at all sure about this version. I had a bad experience when I upgraded my windows 8 laptop to 10. Those of you who have a machine that came with Windows 10 installed, how is that working out for you? Should I be steering toward an older version? I personally liked Windows 7, but those are harder to find. Thanks in advance.

Plus I’m thinking I should get the newer OS because the older one may not be supported as long. But if the OS is crap, then obviously I don’t want that. Thoughts?

Hi @musicguy1967,

Are you looking to run an Expert Advisor (EA)? If so, you should consider running MT4 on a virtual private server (VPS). The virtual machine OS will be optimized to run the platform 24 hours a day during the trading week, even when your own computer is turned off or disconnected from the internet.

There is normally a monthly fee for VPS access, but several brokers offer discounts if you trade through them. For example, FOREX.com can provide a free FXColo VPS to a client with $5,000 in his account who places one standard lot trade per month (or ten mini lot trades, or 100 micro lot trades).

Windows 10 is very stable now and way better than windows 7 and 8 . Now the important thing for laptop is SSD Harddisk. HDD is obsolete. Get a laptop with SSD .

Thanks for the reminder. I had read previously about solid state drives. I’m just not sure I can spend that kind of money right now. I haven’t priced them, but I’m guessing they’re quite a bit more expensive. Feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken.:wink:

Even a quad core laptop with the minimal processing speed like 1.2Ghz is amazing with SSD. Price around $700. If you get it for $600 will be a bargain. Ram is demarcated. Try to avoid duo core.

1.2 Ghz versus 2.1 GHz is of no noticeable difference. Quad core versus Duo core is definitely not the same.

What about memory? I’m finding some decent deals for machines with 8GB, but I’ve read in a couple places that 16 would be better. How important is that if I’m going to be looking at multiple pairs and charts and time frames?

If you multi task, like play music while opening the excel sheets, browsing thru facebook thread, checking babypips thread, do photoshop video editing having an antivirus program running in the background. Basically running many program simultaneously, then you will need lots of ram. If you do a single or 2 task at one time. 8GB is more than enough. Take note, video editing and working with high resolution image requires lots of ram.

1 Like

Oh, hell no. I’m going to have enough to focus on just trying to figure this out, thank you very much. Okay, good to know. I can worry about a super souped-up machine once I get good at this and I have a little money to spare on things like that