Biggest pitfalls when starting out

What do think are the biggest pitfalls for new traders when starting out ? How would you go about avoiding them ?

Plentyā€¦ start by equipping yourself. Read books and start with demo. I wish thereā€™s simple way to explain and if I list them all, Iā€™d write a book myself.

1 Like

Haha, fair enough. Itā€™s definitely a long journey.

There are many, but I think the biggest are

Choosing a system that doesnā€™t work either for you, the market, forex or at all.

not only is this bad moneywise but it sets up a poor trading psychology going forward

Your always chasing your first losses.

Thatā€™s why trading demo is wise until 100% confident.

Also Iā€™d say day trading isnā€™t meant for beginners, again it leads to poor trading psychology

2 Likes

Tips from meā€¦ thereā€™s no such thing as holy grail. If you see someone or advertisements saying they have the holy grail, be sure that theyā€™re scammers.

1 Like

Some good advice, chasing a loss is never going to end well.

Starting directly with Real Forex account!!!

Itā€™s better to educate your self with basic Forex market knowledge plus start trading with the DEMO account.
Continuously upgrade your understanding and try to develop a strong trading strategyā€¦

1 Like

Which one will be your biggest depends on you.

Some traders seem to be ā€œimmuneā€ to some problems. Some are fast in overcoming them. While for others it is not that easy.

Check out this topic. There youā€™ll find 77 of them and choose which one is the biggest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll check it out, thanks.

Over trading and to big a position size are the main ones.

4 Likes

for me, it was definitely not being patient and overtrading. I used to force trades all the time, and I would lose every time lol

1 Like

Thanks for all the great advice, taking it all on board.

The biggest pitfall is the first step to trading: Not getting a trading education- its free! Thousands have done this before you so ask questions, read.books and learn what not to do. Most people think they can do it themselves. That mentality ā€˜learn from my own mistakesā€™. Just learn from others mistakes. Itā€™ll save a lot of money and time.

2 Likes

Easy earning- basically social media is full of fake screenshots; and this is why new traders expect huge profit from their beginning!

1 Like

Not have a enough experience.

1 Like

More specifically, not learning from their experience.

Yea I have noticed, donā€™t pay attention to it to be honest.

Thatā€™s really great! Nice to see your determination; hope for the best!

1. Not taking the course on babypips seriously

2. Opening a live Account as a beginner and not realising too soon that itā€™s a bad idea

3. Not realising you need a solid trading strategy.

4. Not realising you need to test that strategy on demo for one year.

They donā€™t want to do the hard work but want to make the millions.

For the solution remove the NOT in the list above, there you goā€¦

2 Likes

Not that it happened to me but maybe been having early success profit wise and therefore been over flippant, thinking that its easy to maintain that upward curve