Bill Gates: Bit coin (better than currency)?

Bill Gates on Bitcoin

The full quote to give it context:

“…better than currency in that you don’t have to be physically in the same place, and of course for large transactions currency can get pretty inconvenient."

What do you think?

hi dumb question
can anyone deposit to bitcoin without banks involved?how to be anonymous
can you do that?

Just like Tulip Mania was unstoppable - one Tulip bulb could buy you a house, and then it stopped.

The quote you referenced is true, but in the same interview, he also cautions the following:

"The customers we’re talking about aren’t trying to be anonymous, they’re willing to be known, so bitcoin technology is key and you can add to it or you could build a similar technology where there’s enough attribution where people feel comfortable that this is nothing to do with terrorism or any type of money laundering.”

Take note that this interview was 2014. A lot has happened since then.

But Microsoft DOES allow you to add BTC to your MS account. Sweet!

And MS is working with Intel to offer a blockchain framework to businesses. So Gates/MS are in.

Sure. Use cash to buy BTC using something like localbitcoins.com. Or use a Bitcoin ATM. Obviously, if there isn’t one near you, you’re out of luck.

Here’s a complete guide for staying anonymous. It can get techincal really quick, so beware.

Except the difference here is that tulips are useless and bitcoin is the future. In fact bitcoin has had the same chart multiple times and more often than not, that sharp drop is missing. Every time it had such a drop it responded with an even bigger gain saying goodbye to previous all time highs.

A tulip could have bought a house in 1637. A tulip bulb is a useless commodity in 2017, but not in 1637…

At some point in time, in my opinion, Bitcoin will be refereed to as useless, too. That’s not to say its not a worthy contender to speculate on now, quite the opposite actually.

Right now it’s in the ‘hype’ stage - and if the support of $2877 fails to hold…well, it’s time to say good night.

It will be an interesting one to watch - Bitcoin isn’t my area of knowledge anyway - so i’m trigger happy :wink:

Bitcoin is kind of like the Blackberry cell phone, Blackberry was king until the Apple iPhone, Someday Bitcoin will be surpassed buy something, and what that something is may still be just an idea on a note pad. But for now Bitcoin is king, and until something better comes along, I would look for much higher prices after this selloff

1 Like

Not sure that you understood me correctly when I said tulips are useless. I mean that tulips are USELESS!!! They were useless during ancient Egypt, useless during the Dutch hype, useless now, useless in the future and they will be useless FOREVER!!! The Dutch hype was just that, a hype of a useless commodity. Sure it could have bought you a house but useless nonetheless. There was nothing to backup a tulip besides a hype. Bitcoin has nothing in common with tulips. Bitcoin represents a new type of technology and I’m talking about blockchain and digital currencies. That is not useless. If anything, it is the future. Not saying it will not crash at some point (it has already crashed a few times), but expecting higher prices at this point is pretty much a given. We are still in the very early stages of blockchain technology and digital currencies. I can easily see huge growth in that industry for the next 10 years.

1 Like

I think (although I don’t suggest you’ve misquoted him) that he’d feel that you’ve rather quoted him out of context and accordingly given a somewhat misleading impression account of his opinion on the subject. In fact I’d be amazed if that weren’t the case.

I don’t disagree, but still regard Bitcoin’s long-term prospects as comparatively high risk.

If high volatility for you is high risk then you can call it high risk. I find bitcoin the easiest instrument to trade. Nothing is higher risk than forex, because it is the hardest market to trade. If you have a problem with the volatility then you put less money into it. You control your risk and for me high volatility does not mean high risk. It is only high risk if you trade the same size as with lower volatility instruments so adjust your position according to the volatility of whatever you trade and then it wouldn’t be high risk.

I guess you are talking about long term high risk if it will grow or not. Investing in cryptocurrencies is exactly the same as investing in stocks. You support the technology and the company can reinvest that money to create better products. If bitcoin is the future then it only makes sense that more investments will come to it to support it. At this point up is the most likely scenario. We may have many pump and dumps but overall an uptrend for the next few years. I don’t know why people are scared of pump and dumps. They happen to every single instrument, forex included.

Yes absolutely right