Bithumb hacked again, reportedly lost around $19 million

One of the largest South Korean cryptocurrency exchanges, Bithumb, announced it was hacked. Again. Hackers are thought to have made off with around $19 million worth of cryptocurrency in EOS and XRP, and the exchange suspects an insider job.

The company operating Bithumb, BTC KoreaCom Corporation, stated that an “abnormal withdrawal” of the cryptocurrency was first spotted through its monitoring system at 22:00 Korean time (13:00 UTC) on Friday, March 29. After noticing this, the exchange allegedly “secured all the cryptocurrency from the detection time with a cold wallet and checked them by blocking deposit and withdrawal service.”.

More importantly, Bithumb said that all members’ assets are under the protection of a cold wallet and that the stolen cryptocurrency is owned by the company.

Even so, this is beyond embarrassing for them, in my opinion.

How people can be not that smart that they allow this to happen with them yet so progressive to make cryptocurrency investments or so. It was always above my imagination. Anyway did you heard about blackhatworld hack few years later with same goals of stealing crypto ?

1 Like

No, this is the first time I hear about that. Please elaborate?

Which crypto in particular did it involve?

Yeah, it’s ridiculous that they’re repeating their own mistakes over and over again