Bollinger band trading with MAs

just for fun after reading your post i opened an EUR/USD 1h chart and put a 30/3 20/2 and 10/1 boll on the chart. gotta admit its lookin pretty good:D

what exactly does the indicator show? is it just simply 1 indicator for multiple bollinger bands?

Keep an eye out for USDJPY and CADJPY on the Daily bollingers next week. Both are in strong uptrends so time any entry on the lower charts or wait for a Daily candle formation.
I still have my eye on EURUSD and any close below 1.3450, I’ll be taking retrace entries short on the lower TFs - at the moment I’m just playing it for support and resistance bounces.

I am taking the opportunity to close half my USDJPY trade here for +200 pips (therefore +100 on half).
I continue to hold EURAUD short for the 3rd week (currently +600).

Have a good weekend all.

Yeah if you go back into this thread you will find that we have used the boll-within-a-boll thing previously. The Tunnel of 5 method used a 5:1 and we all had at different times employed 20:1 and 20:3 bolls along with the standard 20:2 bolls.

I still use the 20:1 as a guide to strong trends and for when trends are weakening.

Hello All,

Here is an interesting indicator. It is not a multiple bols but a bols of the bols.
There are two indicators one is for a separate panel which I don’t use but somebody may like it.
I’ve also included a moving average line that changes colors that I use for a SM-50 and a SM-200.

Happy trades,

Johnny

bb2.zip (6.78 KB)

Hello Merchantprince,

These are just multiple bols indicators. I use a 9, 24, 36 and 48. This is a single indicator which is a bols of the bols. I should have explained it better, sorry. Thanks for your reply. The tunnel of 5 method is pure crap. Anybody who uses this just hasn’t taken the time to learn how to trade.

Johnny

Hello hellogoodbye4201,

No that ain’t it. Try the indicator.

Johnny

Hello Headmaster,

Try it again Sam and put it where the sun doesn’t shine in this spot right here C:\Program Files\YOUR BROKER.com\experts\indicators. If that doesn’t work try standing on your head then jump up and down 20 times.:rolleyes: If that still doesn’t work then I’m as clueless as you are:confused: but at least you won’t get pregnant.:eek: LOL. I think I’ll have another pint. LOL.:smiley:

Just kidding,

Johnny

made bout 60 pips today off of the 30/3 20/2 and 10/1 lol im trying the new indicator now

Hello All,

Has anybody else looked at the Bols of the bols indicator? It shows a high bols and a low bols. The colors are screwed up as it shows green as the two Upperbands and red as the two Lowerbands and white as the two Middlebands. If you put this on the Daily it gives you a good indication of its direction. I have altered the code to fix the colors if anybody is interested.

Happy trades,

Johnny

thanks JonnyBS, the indicator looks cool but can i ask what the blue dotted line region means.

The indicator does look pretty cool. Now if I only knew what those dotted lines mean …

Best Regards,
Matt Jones .

Johnnny,
While i appreciate your contribution to this thread,i think most people here want to learn about trading not too much indicators.It will be nice if you can possibly post your charts here for others to learn from as R Carter sometimes does rather than indicators.In my opinion,indicators are just indicators but a pic worths a thousand words.
Greetings.
Headmaster.

Hello Adeleke,

The dotted lines are the moving average centerlines and the solid lines are the parallel lines of deviation. Like any Bols the centerline is where the money decisions are decided. On a counter trend move this is a major line of resistance or support. If the angle of the dotted line is large the PA will go no farther then this line and then reverse. Even in ranging markets the PA will often hesitate at the centerline before moving up to the UpperBand.

This indicator is not your standard Bollinger Band variety as the math behind the indicator is decidedly different. But it does seem to work very well. Most of these exotic indicators are done by some very educated Russian mathematians. I have many times attempted to follow their logic but it sometimes just gives me a big headache. When I get some time I will review the logic but for now I’m just happy it does the job.

I’ve attach a new version that I changed the colors as well as a template and charts as how it should look.

The indicator contains two bands one a high and one a low both consisting of an Upper, Lower and Center line. The bands have no set deviation setting and are able to find their own positions much like the Shi Linear Regression Channels only much more complicated.

Have fun and learn,

Johnny

The previous zip file was missing a file so here is the update. JBS

mikko-bols-2Zip.zip (61.6 KB)

Headmaster,

I’ll teach you some ways to catch some fish. I’ll even show you where to fish and what lure to use. What I won’t do is tell you how many fish I’m catching or my complicated way of catching them. Most of the traders on these forums are newbies and my methods would be way beyond their comprehension which would lead to a hundred questions.

So let us do this a little at a time and not offend the starters of this thread which I greatly respect. I have learned from them and I hope to give something of value back to them. I tend to over power people and wear them down with detail very quickly. It is not my intention of taking over this thread about the Bols and MA’s but just adding a little spice to get people thinking. Filling in the blanks to the newbies and intermediate traders coming on board with little success or experience.

I will post a lesson for you to learn on my next post.

Trade well and prosper,

Johnny

If you look at a Daily chart of the GBPUSD you will find the PA hit a high resistance line on the Bols-20 on 1-19-2010 of 1.6456. If you downloaded the JBS-Mikko channels indicator or my template you will get an idea as to the value of this indicator as the PA crossed both lines of resistance. I actually use 9, 24, 36 & 48. The reason for these values is they are all divisible by a factor of three of which I won’t explain in this writing to the importance.

I attached a full version template so you can use this to follow this analysis. On the Daily chart notice the MA-3 which is showing a 3 day trend. Also notice the red dashed vertical line on 1-19-2010. Now look at the chart below and look at the different time frames.

DATE 01-19-2010 BOLS UPPERBANDS CROSSED
TF - TREND BEFORE – TREND AFTER – PRICE – 9 - 24 – 36 – 48 - MIKKO
D - UP - DOWN - 1.6456 - 9 – 24 – 36 -MIKKO
H4 - UP - UP - 1.6456 – 9 – 24 – 36 – 48 - N/A
H1 - UP - DOWN - 1.6456 – 9 – 24 – 36 – 48 - N/A
M30 - FLAT - DOWN - 1.6456 – 9 - 24 – 36 – 48 – N/A
M15 - FLAT - DOWN - 1.6456 – 9 – 24 – 36 – 48 - N/A
M5 - UP - DOWN - 1.6456 – 9 – 24 – 36 - 48 – N/A

The actual high of 1.6456 occurred 12 hours 24 minutes before the end of the DAILY bar where the bar closed at 1.6358. Now download the template and indicators and bring up the template first looking at the Daily. Move to the H1 and adjust the FX Sniper’s MA Final indicator from a value of 3 to 72. You will see that the MA-72 shows the Daily chart’s 3 day average which is under the 1.6456. The value of this analysis with a good understanding of fundamentals tells you that the PA on the daily is headed there pulling the lower time frames down with it. Just 163 minutes later the cross of the PA of the MA-72 occurred at 1.6323 which is 131 pips from the high. This is a set-up made in heaven as it occurred in prime time and big money will give it a nice push down. It also was a day after a US bank holiday with increased volume. The news was good for the US and bad for Britain.

This is a prime pyramid trade opportunity to maximize the number of pips. Which is simply adding contracts as the risk is covered. Below is the value of the MA settings for the different TF’s:

Daily = 3, H4 = 18, H1 = 72, M30 = 144, M15 = 288, M5 = 864 and M1 = 4,320.
Now I know the leaders of the gang here are probably saying I already know all this TF stuff but this lesson is for the less experienced traders.

I hope you learned something of value,

Johnny

JBS-MIKKO-2.zip (13 KB)

AUD/USD went straight up, hit my 75 pip SL, then straight down to my 100-ish pip TP… very strange lol

news? consumer confidence in US?

[I]AUD/USD went straight up, hit my 75 pip SL, then straight down to my 100-ish pip TP… very strange lol[/I]

At Frankfurt Open AUDUSD Longs pushed the price up to the upper range boundary [ATR] at .9057. That was the AUDUSD resistance.

Immediately after hitting that upper boundary the AUDUSD short orders placed above that ATR range boundary got triggered.

This is just what happens when Short overwhelm Longs & Longs bail out & Long STOPS get hit. :smiley:

i was in that trade for a day or 2 now (maybe 3 idr) i took the short because price had hit two fib retracements 38.6 and 50 literally at the exact same price, seemed like a good level to short at because of the fib convergance. this is my first month trading fibs so im still learning things :stuck_out_tongue: so far in the green bout 29% though so i cant complain:D … though that 100 pips would have given me about another 10-15%