Bollinger band trading with MAs

Thank you for your response.I contacted one experienced trader and he told me that when i see gap at the start of the week like this, say, outside the BB Upper,i should trade toward the center and likewise to lower BB until the gap is filled.It works like that today on GU but EU gap is not yet filled as at the time i am writing this.We will see how things unfold.
Thanks again.
Headmaster.

For the mt4 users a made an EA for rcarters 15m g/u setup, if you’d like it ill post it just make sure u set it to ask for manual confirmation that way u can decide which trades you’d like to take

Makes 190% from july 09 to present, thats taking EVERY trade, so no use of discretion wich would surely eliminate a few losses. Also, no SL and no TP, just closing the trades based off of the MAs

Wld love it. Thanks alot Hellogoodbye, you are the man.

Cheers
ADE

Hi guys,

I’ve only just found this thread (300+ pages, how did I miss it?)…

Before I delve into reading from the start, can I just ask - Are people still trading this technique successfully? Has it evolved much from the beginning?

I’ll probally still read through it anyways, would just be nice to know what my reading will be leading to - one of those dead threads where by the end people have given up using what’s described, or a golden thread full of useful info and delivering a trading style of quality.

Many thanks, and happy trading!

I was going to ask if someone would try to build an EA. I’ve tried before but I’m no expert in mql4 programming. Please post it. I’d like to run it foward on my mt4 demo. Like you say, that’s without human intervention, just mechanical. So curious to see how well it would work real time going forward.

This was an easy one to make :stuck_out_tongue: just used an online EA builder. Id say to have it ask for manual confirmation, but if youd like you can skip that and just have it take every trade.

New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (1.96 KB)

I’ve tried using an online EA builder but for some reason it doesn’t always open and close trades when I think it’s suposed to. I’ll enjoy playing around with this one though, Thanks!

Does the EA work with any pair or is it limited to just a particular pair?

any pair any timeframe, but remember it was designed for the GBP/USD 15m

I tried the EA on strategy tester and get an order send error 130. any idea what that is?

No idea, never got that problem before

Hi Hellogoodbye, i don’t have any error problem but the EA isn’t trading. Let me tell you what i ticked for the set-up;Enable alert,Allow live trading, Allow import of external experts. The rest are not ticked. Can you help me out?

Cheers
ADE

You need to look over at the MQL4 forum.
I think error 130 is a problem with the order send, it could be decimal places or any range of errors.

As usual, EA’s good for testing, not always for trading blindly :slight_smile:

Just “allow live trading” if you want it to ask you before placing trades check “ask manual confirmation”

Hi,
Now that it seems Greece has overcome her problem, we should move over to PORTUGAL as the next target:D:D:D.I see euro coming down sonner than later.be on the look out
headmaster.

Can someone pls tell me where RCarter is now? Got some question about his new system

I haven’t heard from Carter lately either. What’s your question? maybe one of us can answer or maybe he will pop in and answer.

defected to a villa in the South of France I’ll bet! Too busy playing on the Riviera.

Great to hear from you again. Made some terrible losses today and yesterday while trying to demo the new system that i feel we look into it so you’ll get a chance to purnish me for being a bad student.

This morning at 8.20 i entered a sell on the USDCAN at 0.99388, the stop loss was at 0.99830. As u can now see, it was a mistake. My question is how we know when a trend is over using your new system. The pair was falling since yesterday and looking at the daily(BB) it still had the chance of a fall.

Also, USDAUD at 8.43(platfoam time), went for a buy at 0.93339 and stop loss at 0.93050, another error.This time, i was sure the green crossed the red and it was going to break BB line and continue upwards. even ignored my stochastic at overbought. Price changed its mind and now its sinking like the titanic.

Another thing is, will it be wise to start trading as soon as the london open or just wait two or three hours for price to make up its minds.

Thanks again
ADE

I’ve only been looking at GBP/USD but on the USD/CAN I think I would have exited sooner. Rather than use a stop loss, exit when MAs cross center bollinger.

Looking back at my 1H set up with the red MAs looks like it would be best to enter a trade as price crosses center boll and exit when price crosses the red MAs

Carter is doing it similar, green cross red is the entry and green cross yellow is the exit.

If you close a trade by the above rules then, As long as price and the MAs stay on the same side of center boll then you can re-enter a trade if prices crosses back on the correct side of the MAs and continues on in the original direction. But only do that if the MAs and center boll are not too horizontal (judgement call)

And I think it’s better to wait and enter a trade on the cross over signal rather than try to jump on a trend already in progress.

I havn’t been trading this strat because I can’t seem to catch the crosses real time. always too late.