Bollinger band trading with MAs

well it looked good at the time but then turned the other way or is that just a temporary retrace?

[B]Never seen so many posts on a 1% of bal trade size![/B] :smiley:

There are two ways to look at this:

1. 1% actual trade size i.e. $1000 acct, 1% trade = $10 = $1 a pip. So a SL of [B]20 pips [/B]would = 2% of balance = $20. Acceptable risk with R/R of 1. SanMiguels 5m boll bouncing today for example.

2. Any trade that involves bigger SL say [B]30/40/50 pips [/B](tends to be longer trend trades with at least R/R of 1 and up. Then 0.5% of bal trade thereby halving the trade size and risk but still allowing the bigger SL pip range needed. My trade today. 41 SL TP at 50 pips. Then the option of placing a second 0.5% trade say after 20 pips up. (total 1% bal of account).

Example (2) you see a longer term trend trade lining up on the 1h or 4h chart. Enter initially at 0.5% of bal. Thus alllowing say a 40 pip SL = $20 =2% of bal.

Then when trade is up say 20 pips enter another 0.5% of bal trade (total 1% of bal trade). If trade fall back by 20 pips exit second 0.5% trade at BE. Thus allowing the original SL of 40 to be no more than 2% of bal risk.

One trade = one TP. Two trades need a TP1 and TP2.

This is just an example. I would also manually adjust my stop up to BE asap. But this strategy is outside the simple example for illustration of the previous posts type (2) 1% trade.

[B]JCGIBSON[/B]

Re-read your post. I guess it all comes down to balancing a reasonable profit to your risk appetite and thats a personal judgement call. [B]CAS[/B] uses a straight forward 1% of bal trade and as to SL, I assume she carefully considers the likely R/R. To be honest. I prefer this most of the time when trading the 5m or 15m where i’m only looking for say a quick in and out for 10 - 20 pips.

I only use two 0.5% of bal trades where I figure the length of trade will be considerably longer and include a larger SL.

The 1% rule can be interpreted in different ways. One 1% trade. Two 0.5% trades, Four 0.25% trades. Or if you prefer, its your money right. SL to be no more than 1%.

Either way keeping trade size to 1% is sound money management. :slight_smile:

I have a question for you then :slight_smile:
When you entered did you know it was a late entry or did you decide that after?
Reason I ask is that if I had got a better entry on that long trade today, I would have had some decent pips. As it was, I got stopped out at breakeven. If I’d noticed the flat bollingers, I would have taken more “bounce” trades instead on the 5/15min charts. As it was I got 25pips out of bounce trades today but it could have been a lot more.

I try to get in on the “trend” trades as soon as the 3MA crosses the 9 or 14 depending and if it’s based off a S/R line, if I miss it then I miss it, I find it quite risky to enter in the middle of the trend due to retraces and nowhere safe to put the SL.
The old trading cliche of “good entries on average setups will make more in the long run than bad entries on good setups” rings true every day :slight_smile:

Anyone take any TALOND middle bollinger crosses today? I haven’t had a chance to look on the higher timeframes yet.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

Yep the ma’s have recently crossed at 1.6200’ish. And with a drop like weve had I think TALOND might get a good return on his centre BB cross theory. :slight_smile:

I will be watching it over the week on the 1h to see max drawdowns and pips gained. Should be interesting! If it pans out, might be worth an 0.1% bal trade just as a side bet to our otherwise trading?

Is that 0.1 or 0.01 :p:p:p

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

Now theres a thought… if Talonditis then perhaps 0.00001 % :smiley:

It looked good at the time. I felt like I was late getting in but everything was pointed up so was hoping it would go farther… I made a little but lost some on other trades, my problem during the day is I’m at work and can’t keep an eye on the chart all the time so I miss entries and end up getting in late just to try to get something .

I’ve said it before maybe I should be trading hour timeframes but I like to see it moving, I like the 15m

don’t laugh… I’m close to that hahahaha

I can do you an MT4 indicator that will give you an alert when the MAs cross if you want? I’ve pretty much already got one that does just that. Of course, it’s no use when away from the computer…

I’d like that. Can you specify the MAs? how does it alert you? email? sound? I have a desk job, just get too busy to bring up the chart.

I’ll have a look tomorrow - it’s just a one beep alert at present, I think MT4 can do email as well but I’ve never used it.

[B]R Carter[/B]
Very well said. Very well explained. Nothing to add. :smiley:

any of you got any trades going on tonight?

I see a some counter trend trades being made here today which completely goes against the fundamentals and smart trading. This trade usually stalls at the midline of the bols and you’re lucky to break-even. Why do it if the odds are against you?

I also see scalping being done on the M15 but again it was in the wrong direction. The upper time frames showed sharp angles down which pulls the M15 with it. If you’re late getting in a trade and missed the turn at the top of the bols or LRC you must look to the Daily, H4 and the H1 to see where they will hit bottom to determine if there is room for profit. If you say the PA was already through the Bols and still moving down then the LRC bottom channel line is the direction the PA is heading looking at today’s charts early this morning on the GBPUSD. The PA hit the bottom channel at 1:00 then reversed. The key here is the channel and not the bols.

If you still want to make a trade then wait for the PA to hit the midline and be ready for the reversal and continuation of the dominant trend. You will now be on the right train. Enjoy your ride to Pipsville. If the PA moves against you it won’t last for long and the pips will start rolling your way. If a major reversal hits you between the eyes then you didn’t do your homework correctly.

Whatever time frame you’re trading on the distance between the upper and lower bols lines will tell you if it’s worth trading. If the lines are very narrow then consolidation is taking place and a breakout will happen at the end of it. Trading during this period is hopeless and costly.

Trade smart and prosper,

Johnny

[B]JohnnyBSmart[/B]

Well thankyou Jonny, I’ll certainly take that under advisement. You undoubtedly know your stuff! Are you an analyst per chance?

can that be translated into something a beginner like me can understand?

R. you’ll be proud of me, I’m following the MAs gotta have faith :wink:

Lets not get bogged down with the Daily chart, pretty sure thats currently heading South. What about the 4h then… oh yea thats heading south also.

Better sell then. Well what about the 1h and 15m and oh yea the 5m. Thats not important in the grand scheme of things then? Just asking? :D:D:D