Bollinger band trading with MAs

Not quite :slight_smile:
If thatā€™s all I had been playing all morning I would have had 60pips easily by now but Iā€™ve been holding out for a longer term trade and keep getting stopped out at breakeven.
I could have traded 2 15min bounce trades as well for about 80 pips but noā€¦

SanMiguel

On a Monday, yes. I have seen one turnaround to many. :wink:

So I stay outā€¦the first hour or so.

You know what, I am still lost on this, mainly because I have always been trading according to risk, ie I work out a 2% risk of my account and then see where my stop should go, so I figure that I can lose 2% of my account on this trade and I adjust my lot size accordingly dependent on how far my stop is.

You are talking about a trade size of 1% of the account. 1% of $1000 is $10 not $1 - what am I missing?

Iā€™m taking a 5min bounce down at 1.6190 maybe for a 10pip scalp or so from the candle tweezer top.

EDIT: Closed for +14
Price might go further but playing the scalping game here since price is going nowhere in a trend so far today.

SanMiguel

CAS said 10K (10,000) would be 10 pips in a standard lot.

But your way of choosing a lot size is the way I understand it.
Only I will be going be my current balance not the original amount of my account. that is what got me in trouble last time. :o

John

Whatā€™s a PA angle ?

We seam to b stuck here.
canā€™t get past the 1.6200 those darn 00ā€™s.
The lows are getting higher I know that should mean something.
I have a 50% chance of guessing right and about a 90% chance
of guessing wrong.

I think Iā€™ll take the dog for a walk:D Canā€™t grt in trouble that way.

John

TalonD

Price Action It is going down steeply
Iā€™m out of here have to walk the dog

John

The stop loss is very rarely 10pipsā€¦more like 30ish on the trend trades.
1% trade size of 10k = $100 trade size
Do you guys mean 0.001 instead of 0.01 ? ie 0.001 * 10000
Perhaps itā€™s because Iā€™m a spread better and not a spot forex person. :slight_smile:

The way I understand it. also am doing it.

1,000 x 1% = $10 10 pip S/L 1 mini lot.

John

In your example it would be .3 mini lots

John

But weā€™re assuming 10 pips here. I didnā€™t think the stop loss mattered in the original example and we were talking purely trade size as percentage of account, in which case 1% of 1k = 0.01* 1000 = $10 per pip? or ļæ½ in my case, which is pretty high. Iā€™m thinking it should be a trade size of 0.1% ie 0.001 * 1k = trade size of $1 per pip.

That is what cost me 75% od my account.
$10 = 10% of your account that means you can only lose 1 pip on a trade.

John

JOHN

Thatā€™s it. :slight_smile:

And letā€™s say your account is down to 900 x 1% = $9 9 pip S/L 1 mini lot.

If you trade like this you need [B]a lot[/B] of loosing trades to get into trouble.

I went long at 1.6209 what do you think? good idea?

should have gotten in earlierā€¦ late as usual

How often do you make a trade with a 9pip stop loss?!
As a spread better we can only work on $x per pip, so 1000 * 0.001 = $1 per pip. I guess for spread betters the trade size should be 0.1%

Yeah, around 6180 looked ideal :slight_smile: I think if price continues to look like the 14LWMA is supporting it, then the uptrend will continue. However, the 15min bollingers - price has wicked outside of those so might get a little retrace.

R Carter and CAS

Today is Monday and my brain is semi functional.
Is what you are saying .5% would allow you a 20 pip S/L instead of 10
and .25% allow a 40 pip S/L to stay at 1% risk?

John

TalonD

The MAā€™s on 15min all line up and pointing. On the 1h theyā€™re starting to do that.

The 20 BB is pointing up on 15min.

Retracemnets might go lower than 1.6209. Donā€™t know.

WoW It took me an hour to get back in after trying to refresh the page
checked other sites no problems.
I guess thatā€™s why no one is posting I guess Iā€™ll call it a day. may try again to night

have a good one John