Bollinger band trading with MAs

would like to claim credit for it but got it from Rui’s mmtt non brainer thread. My idea is to use it with R.Carters small lot size so that you can withstand the drawdowns. And using the drawdownds to enter more trades in a favorable area. Idea is that what goes down must go up and what goes up must go down… :smiley: currently short on GU and as RC suggested AU

well this is the idea I mentioned the other day on facebook

ditto here. low point was overnight while asleep and closed both this morning for small profit. maybe setting up for some good horizontal boll bounces?

What do y’all think of my idea? Looking back in the charts looks like it would be profitable although occasionally some largish drawdowns in pips but that’s why you use a small lot size. It’s very similar to Roberts idea of trading from one side of the 2lwma tunnel to the other but in contrast to that, it uses the modified MA from Rui’s thread and also uses the 15m time frame just to see more detail and can enter multiple trades rather than just one.
To demo this you’ll need a metatrader demo. I use IBFX because it doesn’t expire. And you’ll need the indicator which I can post here. Let me know if you want it posted.

Rules are simple. Sell at the upper line, buy at the lower line. But nothing is ever as simple as it sounds. Some discretion may come into play.

FB setup? what’s that?

When you open a weekly trade for “‘eleventy million’” pips do you close them out on friday and re open on sunday/monday?

It looks like if you decided to exit at the middle of the channel or close to it you’d have a lot more winners and less drawdown :stuck_out_tongue:

Always close Friday and wait and see what Sunday is doing and go from there.

TalonD that looks good its very similar to what I have been doing. I have not been using the muilti time frame MA I just hand draw the daily MA levels. I don’t hold the trades that long. I keep my trades small enough that if I miss the reversal I just enter again when another entry presents. Most of the time price will head back into the channel before I use up my acceptable risk. The similarity to using a very small trade size and what I do is it allows a big pip drawdown when I think that price will eventually go my way.

After all the back testing I did with Excel I came to 2 conclusions. On a small time frame price has chaotic characteristics, and the fewer constraints put on a trade the more likely you can close in profit. My trading style is an attempt to capitalize on those observations. The idea you are showing fits right in with my idea about how to make money trading. :smiley:

Looks like if you were to only take the first trade each day you’d also do pretty well. Lets say the first time price breaks the 2 LWMA low, enter a buy. eventually price then breaks the 2 LWMA high, dont take the short. Looks like a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Good observation. I’m going to do some forward testing of this and see how it works out.

Me too :stuck_out_tongue: i like this indicator lol

Just for fun I decided to take some trades using RCs strat and this indicator, +3.2% on the daily 2 LWMA strat and another 1.3% on the 5m/15m GU strat.

I think I know what strats I’ll be using for a while:D

Hi TalonD, can you pls post the indicator. Will also like to know if it reprints.And most likely see if it can be used with RCarter’s system. Already got the BBand_stop and i think its great to keep one in a trade but slow to get into a trade. What do you think?

You can find it on the nonbrainer MMTT thread. It doesn’t repaint though lets say you have it on the 15m minute chart it will update according to PA at the end of each 15m bar. For example, if PA is moving lower and lower the 2 LWMA low on the daily would be moving lower too until it reached a point where PA stepped outside of the LWMA. On the 15m it does the same thing except the LWMA updates at the end of each bar. Its the exact same as if you were to have a 2 LWMA high and low on the daily it just makes things a tad more clear

Yes, but what is it called in that thread? I need something to search on and LWMA gets me nothing. :smiley:

hi all…

this thread is becoming huge… so much information in it… i need to start to follow it:rolleyes:

I think in his first post he attached 2 indicators, one is the bb stop and the other is the one you want :stuck_out_tongue:

Look at the beginning of the thread?!

That is too easy! I call shenanigans!

Scooby, do you accept this decree of shenanigans?

Nope. I need 10 characters in order to post this. There, that should be plenty :p.

Is anyone else using RC’s 2 LWMA strat?

I have been using it a bit.

But I use it in combination only with bollinger bands. It must touch the outer edge and pierce the LWMA’s. I have been getting some mixed to good results. But that is more due to my mistakes. Each time, I notice that something amiss: either the middle BB or the LWMAs were too angled for instance.

In cases of flat tunnels, it has been excellent.