Bollinger band trading with MAs

it’s called MTF_Moving_Average

the MTF stands for multiple time frame. you can specify different time frames.

I do have the MTF_Moving _Average. Am looking at it right now, but I could not follow the set-up. Can you pls up-date me on this and the settings for 15min? Thanks
As for LWMA, I use it and I think its pretty strong. However, it’s got so many false break that it can make any fat lady sing.
If it’s okay with you gentlemen, I humbly submit that we spend more time trying to find a solution to the false breaks and trying to make RCarter’s system work more accurately than anything else.

I agree with Adeleke. The biggest weakness is a false spike. I am still searching for a way to avoid those. I think the bollinger bands help some, but not as much as I like.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to install a single indicator on a chart which would send an alert when price touches the outer boll across the equivalent of three or more TFs. If one could install different-period bolls on the 15m TF that mimic the bands on the hourly and daily charts (this was covered much earlier on the thread) we could install such an indicator so an SMS message could be sent, alerting one of such a favorable opportunity to trade.

Even better still, if this theoretical indicator could sound when the [I]daily[/I] and [I]hourly[/I] are at the extreme of one side of the bolls while the 15m is at the extreme of the bolls [I]in the other direction[/I] it would be a great signal of when to jump into an existing longer term trend.

I assume this has already been done somewhere. Your thoughts?

Such an indicator is possible. The indicator does not need to use the data from the current chart only. You can get data from any TF.

You want a “price line?” Could you clarify? Or did you want alerts like what was asked. In any case, on MT4, it is possible to plot data from any TF on all the time frames. I wrote an indicator for instance that plotted the day, 4H, 1H, m15, and m5 high low (highest of last two periods).

Try this one out. It should give you the high and low of last Month, week, and day. Change the extension to .mq4.

Let me know if something is not accurate. :slight_smile:

What do you mean “real time?” There is only one real time…regardless of TF. The price that is now is the price.

So obviously, you mean something else. :slight_smile:

So is there an indicator for MT4 which sends an alert when price touches an outer bollinger band – and might this work if more than one boll is present in a given chart?

There is no indicator that I know of. But one could be built. Bollinger bands are based on formulas. Anything based on a formula can be programmed.

You HAVE been drinking. :wink:

RCarter have you seen the new strat tester and automated trading platform FXCM has out in beta. It looks pretty good to me I have just started playing with it. I am not a codeslinger just a copy and paste guy but I see the potential to do most if not all of what you guys are talking about.

This is the part where we hope TalonD is curious about playing around with that beta. :slight_smile:

a couple people asked for my settings on that indicator
here are my settings for the top line
time frame 1440
matype 3
maprice 2
malength2

for the bottom line the only difference is
maprice 3

you can make the color anything you like, I made both of them blue.
and I put them on a 15m chart.

if anyone tries this, make sure you do it in demo first before you try it for real.

RobK you are good at programming metatrader indicators? You know how in metatrader you have three options to view price. you can select candles, or bars, or line. What Robert has in mind is open up a monthly chart and change it to show price line. Then on the same chart you want to see the weekly price line and the daily price line. Can you do something like that? This mtf average I have is a multi time frame indicator and the step ladder look of it is good for my little trading idea but not for what Robert has in mind.

Thanks alot, looking at the indicator now, it looks almost too good to be true(probably is). Will add this to my demo and try it for a while. Pls share the result of your testing of this indicator.Its looks really great. I really don’t know how we can fit this into RCarter’s system except as a reconfirmation of what PA says on the 1hr. What do you think?

Sounds interesting but can’t play around much these days. two hectic weeks and more to come, not my usual routine. The sooner things get back to normal the better! :slight_smile:

I don’t see why not. All that needs to be done is fill a buffer with the data from each period and display. If I feel ambitious, I will give it a whirl. :slight_smile:

I know with EAs you can grab any TF indicator and use it on any chart. So all you’d need to do is grab the indicator on X TF and paint it on the current chart. Should be quite easy to do but idk how to make indicators too well :p.

Yes. It is not really too difficult. All you do is fill up a buffer with the period prices from start to now. The buffer is then display as a line (or whatever you choose it to draw as).

And I would not say I am really good at MT4 coding…it has a lot of quirks I am still working on. But I am a professional programmer, so I am getting it.