Bollinger band trading with MAs

[B]JCGIBSON[/B]

I have a 5m and 15m chart up now. I even tried the 1m but found it too choppy for an early and reliable indication of PA. However on the 5m I have put up the 1m center line bollinger as it does give a faster indication of PA change of direction than the 15m chart (a cross of the 5m center line bollinger). Setting on a 5m chart for 1m cross = 4SMA. :slight_smile:

I was looking at the lt Blue oval at about 12:30 GMT
The 3/6/9 maā€™s, the mid-BBand and the 60Sma all cross and head down on my 20M chart. On the 15M chart the 60SMA is much lower.On the 5M chart at 12:45 GMT there is a spike through the top BB and the next candle changes color an enter at the color change would be good for about 70 pips before the bands started to turn.

John

Maybe a 3 line whip coming up n the 5min chart?
1hr bollinger is in lower half, 15min is in lower half, downtrend still looks strong on the 15min MAs.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

Confusion reignsā€¦ Iā€™m seeing an up. :confused:

Me too then, I thought the principle for this one was to go with the trend on the 1hr and 15min, ie both are in the lower halves of their bollingers, therefore bearish. However, the 5min has crossed over into the upper half possibly for a small retrace and may move back down into the lower half of its bollinger again coupled with the fact the 15min trend might still be strong as price hasnā€™t yet moved past the 14LWMA.
ā€¦at least thatā€™s the way I understood it.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

I knowā€¦ or rather I donā€™t. :smiley:

PA seems trapped between support at 1.585 and resistance at 1.587. The theory is good though. :slight_smile:

Well, it was good for a 10 pip scalp on this occasion - probably not ideal with the 5min bollingers squeezing together. PA crossed middle 5min band, exited at bottom 5min band but yes I see what you mean.
Wasnā€™t that the principle behind the 3 line whip trades then by scalping or adding to existing positions on retraces?

Well that was the up I thought we were going to have. Entered long at 1.5848 and should have been up loads. Unfortunately only 48 pips as I dug myself into a hole last night. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh wellā€¦I didnā€™t take that one because of the news.
Might see if it bounces off this area againā€¦

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

I think its good for a retrace given the 1h chart?

Errā€¦a retrace up you mean?
1.6040ish or 1.611 possibles

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

Well I didnā€™t say when. :smiley: But its running headlong into the 4h down ma. :slight_smile:

Correctionā€¦ the 4h center line boll which is steeply down angled.

so is it going to go through that 4h center? or bounce off it and continue south?

[B]TALOND[/B]

Well on the way up I placed shorts at 1.5920, 1.5941 and 1.5956. So Iā€™m kind of hoping its going to head south. So could get my ass kicked big time. :D:D:D

do you often do that? place orders in the opposite way that itā€™s moving? you must have good reason to believe it will turn and head back south.

[B]TALOND[/B]

Yes if I think its justified. 4h is still in a steep decline. This was a news spike (I hope). Market sentiment is still Bearish. So by placing multiple trades in a strong up I spead the risk as my BE is at 1.5939. But if drops below that I will obviously make three times the pips as I would if I had only placed one trade. Equally of course above BE I could loose three times as much. Cross your fingers! :smiley:

Ignore this if you donā€™t like fibs, thereā€™s no point overcomplicating things.
The fib retrace on the 4hr is at 1.6035 and 50% retrace at 1.6120 (also a resistance line) if the down move is to continue.
However, weā€™re getting a lot of spikes on the 15min chart at present showing some indecision.

do you set a stop loss on those ? how far ?

Hang on :slight_smile:
No boll bounces, no MA crossovers - you been on the vodka? :p:p:p

15min MAs levelling off now I think.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

I concur. This type of trade is outside of what we are doing here by following the LWMAā€™s and Bollingers. :slight_smile: